Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Hype and Updates!

Quote Originally Posted by popcornbird View Post
    Send some of that snow here...we need a lot more snow in the Sierra mountains. We had a lot in December, but with the abnormally warm and dry January, the snow pack has reduced, and I want it to last long enough to enjoy a few more snow tubing trips! Lol! Plus we need a lot more to fix the drought.
    Unfortunately, kiddo - the wind is not heading in your direction - spiraling out to the east, sorry! But I think a lot of people would LOVE to send it your way!

We put a couple plates of bird seed outside our sliding glass doors - the wind was drifting the snow away from that so there just a few inches until ypu get to the edge of the building. So far, only a ton of juncos - nicknamed snowbirds - and one mooring dove have left the security of the hedges above to get some food, but my snow is now all covered with birdie footprints!
    I've Been Frosted

Your weather has been showed on TV here and in some places, it looks like you got a lot of snow! Glad you're safe, though! I guess some people will take the opportunity to have a cosy time at home, and I bet the children are happy they get the day off.

When I travelled to the US in 2010, I stepped out in snow reaching my knees - at 6AM, I was worried the taxi wouldn't be able to make it, but it did. The flight was an hour delayed, since they had to defrost it once more. I certainly could have used that extra hour in bed!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    And the funny thing is (peculiar anyway), Facebook is apparently down, as is Tinder and Instagram. But we are still here!
    Hmmm, I couldn't get on Facebook last night. We had rain that changed over to freezing rain, which then changed to snow. So it was a slushy, icy, slippery mess.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Facebook went down, and came back up around 2 a.m. It is still snowing here, but there has been so much drifting I have no real idea how much we have gotten!
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, it is still snowing here - well, maybe! It is hard to tell, as the wind is whipping everything sideways, so it really is impossible to discern if it is actually new snow falling, or just snow getting blow off various surfaces to land elsewhere!
    I've Been Frosted

I hope everyone is safe and warm!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Ayup (said in my best New England accent), inside and warm! Hopefully Nantucket will get its power back on soon!
    I've Been Frosted

Bright blue sky at last this morning, and the birds are busily eating up the seed I put out half an hour ago! Today I can shovel out for the final time this storm!
    I've Been Frosted

Winter storm Linus could bring 6 to 10 inches of snow to the Chicago area between Saturday night and Monday morning. If it's really going to snow that much, I hope the snow comes early enough that they can get the highways and streets cleared in time for Monday morning commute. Compared to last year this has been a pretty mild winter.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

It has been snowing all day here today, but it is what I call "air snow" - the temp is just around freezing, so it doesn't really accumulate anywhere, just looks pretty coming down. We may get another inch or so tonight, but not a big deal this go 'round! I knew not to worry because the seed I put out yesterday afternoon was not even halfway gone by midday today. If the birds don't worry, I don't!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Winter storm Linus could bring 6 to 10 inches of snow to the Chicago area between Saturday night and Monday morning. If it's really going to snow that much, I hope the snow comes early enough that they can get the highways and streets cleared in time for Monday morning commute. Compared to last year this has been a pretty mild winter.
    Yep, it's on the way! Might have to use my call off day Monday so I can shovel out. We'll see what happens.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

It is hard to know how much snow we have because there is so much drifting. Many churches have canceled services.
    Last edited by Felicia's Mom; 02-02-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

And here, where it is not supposed to start until this evening, some places have already called off events tomorrow, just in case!
    I've Been Frosted

It's 30F (-1C). They upgraded the winter storm warning to a blizzard warning and the forecast is now 12 to 18 inches of snow. I just went out, brushed off my car, and got it out (the snow removal service was here about 6 AM and plowed everybody's cars in). The weather forecast has been revised, too - 100% chance of snow today, 50% tomorrow and Tuesday, 30% Wednesday and the rest of the week is to be cold (temps less than 20F). Wolf Road looks good with cars actually moving rather than creeping along, and I can hear the traffic on the tollway which sounds like it always does. So that tells me the roads are passable. I need to get to work tomorrow because it's the first week of the month, which is always a busy one for my team. Please be safe, friends east of me- I wish this storm would completely miss you but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

The air is filled with whiteness here... the snow is really coming down. It's supposed to keep coming until around 7am tomorrow.

Fortunately, I do not have to go out before tomorrow (and much later than 7am), at the earliest!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery