Thread: The final leg to MRCVS

The final leg to MRCVS

I was intending to post this in the 'Random Announcements' thread, but following a quick search realised that the thread was last active in 2011... which is startlingly reflective of how frequently I've visited since starting university.

So, my 'random announcement', whilst I'm here, is that I'm about to embark on the final stage of my veterinary degree. I've completed (effectively) all of my knowledge-based learning, and it's time to put it to the test by working in supervised practice for the next year and a half. I had found the last year or so of lecture-upon-lecture rather trying, I'll admit. The pressure became so overpowering at times that I effectively forgot that it was also a year that saw me perform my first solo surgeries on placement, and find out what really makes me tick as a veterinary surgeon.

With the long haul of the academic side of studies drawing to a close, I have high hopes for the next 18 months. It will see a stint working at two of the most prominent farm animal practices in the UK, a chance to work with vets at London and Whipsnade Zoos, and an ever increasing amount of time working in charity organisations, which has long since been dear to me.

As well Dogs Trust, PDSA, and the RSPCA (two sites - one cats, one native wildlife) on home soil, I'll also be off to the Cook Islands later this year to volunteer with an inspiring practice that primarily promotes welfare for island strays.

I was three years of age when I decided that I wanted to be a vet. It's either determination or stubbornness that's been pushing me to July 2016 ever since. Now, my first job as 'Zara, MRCVS' is both frustratingly far away and terrifyingly imminent.

If you'll have me, I'd like to try a little harder this year to post updates on what I'm getting up to. It's nigh on a decade since I popped up in this place, rabbiting on about my quest for vetdom. I'd hate to spare you a commentary on the final furlong.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Oh, Zara, we are so glad you are getting close to your dream job! And remember - Persistence is what people call stubbornness when they like us! It's persistence that has gotten you this far!
    I've Been Frosted

Congratulations, Zara.. Well done!

That's wonderful! You've been working so hard and now you are about to get much closer to your goal. Blessings to you and all the animals who will benefit from your care for them.

from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

We're proud of you here at PT! Keep up the good work!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Congratulations Zara. Thank you for all your charity work.

Zara, some of us have followed you through this journey, here on PT, and wouldn't miss the ending for the world! The ending of the scholastic side, as then you will have a new beginning.

I think I've mentioned before that my vet also studied at the Royal, and worked in Yorkshire for 5 years. I regularly 'brag' about your adventures, she loves hearing how you are progressing! She also has helped on the vet techs at the practice to get in at the Royal, so she 'brags' about that woman, in return for my updates with you.

Just so pleased to read your posts. You have been given a gift, which you recognized early on, and have made the most of it thus far. WONDERFUL!!!

So glad to 'know' you here on PT!

Congratulations, Zara! Best wishes for the final leg to MRCVS! How exciting!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you very much, everyone! I'll aim to post updates at the end of each rotation (or so) I complete. Nudge me at the end of February if I haven't done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

I think I've mentioned before that my vet also studied at the Royal, and worked in Yorkshire for 5 years. I regularly 'brag' about your adventures, she loves hearing how you are progressing! She also has helped on the vet techs at the practice to get in at the Royal, so she 'brags' about that woman, in return for my updates with you.
    That is so touching, Sandie. Thank you.

Zimbabwe 07/13