Thread: Ryder.... and a new addition. (updated two pics!)

Ryder.... and a new addition. (updated two pics!)

So hello, it's me! It's been a while. The wedding was fantastic, beautiful, and it went by so quickly. Wish we could do the reception all over again - it was the best times of our lives!

We started talking about adding another dog to our little family, a Black Lab... we planned on that later on in the spring/fall... until.. Mike's family dog, Dozer needed a place to go. Dozer is now 12/13 (not sure what age) and his hips are failing him with steps. He can't do steps anymore. He is stuck at his mom's house where he couldn't get up to the kitchen, so he just stays in one spot all day/night until he goes out to do his thing... and that's sad. We could tell it depressed Dozer quite a bit.

So we offered to take him so he has a place to live and our house is the most reasonable place for him to be. We live in a ranch (one level floor) - We did a test run about a weekend ago with Ryder and it was a bit rough at first - constant jumping, etc. but they've finally settled in with each other. I think Ryder is slowly figuring it out about his old age and how he cannot really play at the same "level" as him. If he jumps on him, Dozer goes down and struggles to get back up. I don't think he knows that his back hips are failing him. Poor old guy.

So he's been here since Friday and he's been happy and I know he is feeling better. He perked up, he wants to play, he enjoys the company and having me us around. He has the freedom to wander around the house and have no problems. Ryder has settled in and I find that it's adorable that he lays with Dozer at night when we go to bed. (YAY FOR ROOM IN THE BED - No more lower back pain for me!) Ryder often puts his paw on Dozer's paw or leg when they are laying by each other. I wonder if Dozer is finding the comfort of that.

Just wanted to share a couple photos if anyone's interested into seeing.

Last edited by CountryWolf07; 01-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Awww, how sweet!!! Dozer gets a buddy, and a house he can wander around without sore hips, and Ryder gets a cuddle buddy! Looks perfect! And welcome back to Pet Talk, now that all the stress and business of the wedding is done!
    I've Been Frosted

That is so sweet.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Blog Entries
    Ryder & Dozer look like the best of buddies. A happy looking pair.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Aww, Dozer is a sweety! And Ryder, I want to give him a big snuggle. So cute! I've actually been looking into getting a fox red. Her name will be Crimson, I have the breeder picked out and everything. I've been on the waiting list for several months and was just informed about puppies soon but unfortunately now isn't a good time but hopefully by the end of the year I'll get her when they have another litter

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I so enjoyed reading your update. As Karen says, Ryder has got a snuggle buddy and Dozer a good friend and access to more room to move around.

They both look very sweet and seem to have adjusted to the new situation. It's just great!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I so enjoyed reading your update. As Karen says, Ryder has got a snuggle buddy and Dozer a good friend and access to more room to move around.

They both look very sweet and seem to have adjusted to the new situation. It's just great!
    Everything is going well. Dozer made himself at home here now. So I think he'll be here to stay for the rest of his life as long his health allows him.

He's such a photogenic old man - his eyes has a lot of emotion in them. Such a sweet boy.
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Hello, handsome Dozer and hello, wonderful Ryder! I like all these pictures of you together!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aww, Rachel - I love that picture of him! Such a handsome old boy! So glad he is working out so well there! I am sure he is passing along some old dog wisdom to Ryder, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, Rachel - I love that picture of him! Such a handsome old boy! So glad he is working out so well there! I am sure he is passing along some old dog wisdom to Ryder, too!
    Sometimes I wish I could understand dog communication, I'm sure they'd have some choice words about the failings of their owners. Right Angel?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Sometimes I wish I could understand dog communication, I'm sure they'd have some choice words about the failings of their owners. Right Angel?
    Failings of their owners??? What does that mean?

BEAUTIFUL pictures, Rachel!!! I'm so happy you guys have Dozer!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    Failings of their owners??? What does that mean?
    I am betting he means things dogs might grouse about like LH trying to make Angel wear a coat when it is cold outside, failing to drop his steak on the floor an d"failings" like that!
    I've Been Frosted

I am so happy he can move around in your home with his bad hips. Both dogs look so happy together.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana