Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Birds

Wild Birds

We put out seed for the wild birds all winter, and all year round. I love seeing them, the little juncos hopping about, we have a growing group of mourning doves, and cardinals, bluejays and nuthatches.

What wild birds do you see near you?
    I've Been Frosted

2. Winter birds i see often here in Washington are bald eagles. ravens. turkeys. sometimes chickadees an red an blue cardinals.
    we used to put a cup or two of dog food out for the cardinals but they dont really show up anymore so we havent done that in a long time.

We see tons of birds all year around, but typical winter birds include Dark-Eyed Juncos, Chickadees, Titmice, Eastern Goldfinch, Fox Sparrows, House Finch, Purple Finch, Song Sparrows, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Blue birds, Cedar Waxwings, Cooper's Hawks, and quite a few Bald Eagles! At the park I work at we also get many waterfowl species including Common Mergansers, Grebes, American Coots and my favorite, Common Loons!

At school in the Adirondacks we see tons of Bald Eagles and lots of Kinglets!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    About the same here - what Alysser said.

I especially love the cardinals - males to be more specific. They look absolutely striking against a new fallen snow.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I can't believe I forgot to list the sparrows! Plenty of those as well!
    I've Been Frosted

We have a lot of birds that I don't know. But the ones I do know are here at work we get scrub jays and mocking birds. Other little birds too. I have also seen some falcons hanging out looking for food in the large field near us.
    At home we have our hummingbirds and lots of little birds and sometimes big black birds.
    Also around my work area there are wild turkeys.

Other animals I see at work are cottontail rabbits and jack rabbits, coyotes, foxes and squirrels. I will be sad when we have to move our office close to the mall.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    We have a lot of birds that I don't know. But the ones I do know are here at work we get scrub jays and mocking birds. Other little birds too. I have also seen some falcons hanging out looking for food in the large field near us.
    At home we have our hummingbirds and lots of little birds and sometimes big black birds.
    Also around my work area there are wild turkeys.

Other animals I see at work are cottontail rabbits and jack rabbits, coyotes, foxes and squirrels. I will be sad when we have to move our office close to the mall.
    Hopefully you will be surprised, and still see at least the birds, particularly the falcons!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    We have a lot of crows, starlings, chickadees, stellar jays(very loud ones) hawks, eagles, owls, hummingbirds and bushtits. There are some I cannot identify. We're in the lower mainland, B.C. Canada.

Blog Entries
    There's lotsa woodpeckers too.

Blog Entries
    Oops, I forgot the seagulls! They are every where.

Blog Entries
    Ducks, grouse, quail and geese too! Okay I'll quit, there's way to many to remember

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Ducks, grouse, quail and geese too! Okay I'll quit, there's way to many to remember
    If I drive a bit, I can see ducks and geese, but not in my back yard! They are in the reservoir, the river, the lake ... any body of water is more exciting to them than my humble back yard!
    I've Been Frosted

When we see seagulls here in Portland, we know it's storming on the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    When we see seagulls here in Portland, we know it's storming on the coast.
    When I was a kid growing up an hour west of here, when we saw a seagull, we know someone was just plain lost! I am only 12 or so miles from the coast here!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I have never seen a cardinal before. They sure are beautiful, would love to see one. We have loons too and apparently there have been quite a few golden eagle sightings recently. The older I get the more appealing bird watching becomes. Found a pheasant in the back yard once, I think it must have been someones pet that flew off. Maybe got scared around dinner time