Thread: Question on Pepcid or other help

Question on Pepcid or other help

My mom is moving into assisted living in about a month. She is allowed to take her 16-year-old lilac point with her.

The cat formerly known as Shiny/Shydey, now known as Binky, had a geriatric workup at the vet before Christmas. Binky throws up his food a lot, but it had started happening daily. The vet suspected possible pancreatitis and because it was so close to the holidays, Binky was put on Pepcid and a mild painkiller.

All tests were fine and Binky did not throw up while he was on the medications.

Mom is concerned about him being at the new place. She has some mobility issues though she was able to "burrito" her kitty and give him the pre-measured syringes.

Is there anything that can be added to Binky's food that will work like Pepcid did? I don't want his care to be a burden on her.

I think it's an idea to check with the vet as well.

PT has a lot of pet owners with a lot of experience though, so I am asking here as well!

Thanks so much.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The only time my cats throw up is for furballs or bad food (grains). Or to get my attention.

I'm hoping for the best.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It may be that he and she regard his "burrito" time not as turtler, but as a snuggle session that just involves the meds as well. If he's been on them for a while, it may be just part of their routine by now!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen. He was on them for a week, and had no problems during that time.

It would be nice if there was a once-a-day pepcid he could take.

The other med he was on was a mild painkiller that had a sedative effect. Hard to say which one helped, given that no physical cause was found. Though he tends to get turned off food that he has liked. Maybe associating it with pain?

I was just wondering if there was a med that could be given to him more easily.

We'll ask the vet.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post

I was just wondering if there was a med that could be given to him more easily.
    You could check to see if this particular med (or something comparable), could be compounded into a cream to rub inside of kitty's ear. It's pricey to do, but it is 100% hassle free, and you know that kitty is getting the med too, and not spitting it out, etc.

I had to do this for Myndi and her pain med, Tramadol. No matter how old she got - those jaws just seemed to get stronger and more impossible to pry open. Even giving her meds in liquid form was an impossible undertaking, since she would manage to let it dribble out. Never had a dog quite like that before her, and Wolfy is by far the very easiest to pill - pill in a dab of peanut butter, and it's down the hatch.

As far as compounded med prices...............for Myndi's Tramadol in pill form, it was $30 something per month and she got a prescription drug discount at Walgreens - a pet med program they have. The compounding pharmacy here had no discount, and it was around $120 per month. Pricey???? - yes - but it was worth it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

We may have an answer.

I decided to switch Cole to a less expensive sensitive digestion food, by Iams.

I took some over to my mom's place to see what Binky thought.

He loves it! Even though he has few teeth, the pieces are small and he manages fine, just as he does with the Greenies digestive treats.

Mom also asked me to find a different brand of turkey and giblets as well as chicken-liver feast. I found them both in Max cat.

This is a cat who has been eating Fancy Feast and Friskies all his life and threw up a lot of the FF.

Fingers crossed that this works. It'll be easier on Mom and easier on Binky - how does one rehome a 16-year-ols Lilac Point who is totally bonded with one person?

Prayers for you, your mom, and Binky, that the new food works out just fine and Binky moves successfully with Mom to the new place.

I lit a candle for you too: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=22168252

All the best!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Please consider contacting your vet about OTC meds and doses.

I hope the new food is working

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Please consider contacting your vet about OTC meds and doses.

I hope the new food is working
    Thanks, Jessika. The new food IS working!

The only problem with meds is that my mom has atypical Parkinson's, and administering meds in any form would be troublesome. All Binky's lab work - blood and pee - was excellent.

Even though the kibble is left out at night, Binky still likes to "yell" at my mom during the night, which used to be her signal to feed him. I hope he settles down!

Why can't she mix the Pepcid into the wet food? The other option is that it does come in a pill format for people, so she could get the pills split and use Pill Pockets (the world's best invention )