Thread: The --- wringer?

The --- wringer?

Last night DJ and I were talking about real estate, houses and home improvements.

As the convo started to degenerate and wander down a few cul-de-sacs, the topic of the old style t-wringer washing machines came up. ("T" being a slang term for a breast....)

A drink or two can make any topic really funny?

----------------

Now, any kind of bodily trauma really isn't that funny, but the reverence, fear and respect that the old washing machines garnered is legend...

For the youngsters in the crowd a "t-wringer" machine is a simple, scary piece of machinery that was the 'stop' between a wash board and the modern washing machines of today.

As you can see from the photo, this woman is SMILING, she doesn't have to scrub her clothes on a wash board - even before that?

You had to stand by a running body of water and slap the crap out of your clothes on a rock, rinse, wring them out and put them on a line to dry.

Mankind eliminated the river, the rock and hand wringing your clothes out before they were put up on a line...

------------

My experience with a TW was simple, I helped my G-ma push the washer out of the garage to the porch, hookup the hose to the hot water heater and fill the tub.

Drop in a SALVO tablet (soap in a tablet form), throw in some clothes and then move the lever to 'agitate' and wait for the magic to happen.

The machine would agitate the clothing....the next step was to drain the water, add more clean water and then put the clothes thru the 'wringer'.

---------

The wringer on the top of the tub was the evil, scary part of the machine.

The word for the machine, the term "get your --- in a wringer" was used as a metaphor for getting caught in a bind- is it still a viable term these days?

I do remember the fear and the warnings about it...."Don't stick your fingers in between the rollers, make sure any clothes/hair/jewelry was out of the way, always pay attention to what you are doing"

Whenever my G-ma got close to the wringer - years before I knew what a 'boob' was - it scared me to death.

I had to help move the baskets to the laundry lines and keep my eye on that machine.......After my she died, we brought the machine to our house where it sat in the garage for a few years.....

--------

I had the 'pleasure' of using it when the house washer broke down and the part needed for a repair was on back order.....I was able to fire it up and do a few loads - minus the hanging it up outside on the line - but even with the utmost of respect, that wringer was still as evil as ever.....

I managed to keep all my body parts away from in between the rollers, got my laundry done and never, again took 'doing a load of laundry' for granted.

The 'old ways' aren't often the best ways, but a short visit back in time puts things into perspective......and make you laugh like a maniac?

I would love to have a wringer washer! I remember my grandma having one and it sure got the dirt out!

A few years ago, my then-boss's mom emailed me a picture of a 'mammogram in the old days'. It involved a wringer washer so I don't need to explain.

I phoned her, got put through to her, and the first thing I said was, "YOU'RE A SICK PUPPY!"

It took her a moment but then she cracked up laughing!

(owww.......)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I would love to have a wringer washer! I remember my grandma having one and it sure got the dirt out!

A few years ago, my then-boss's mom emailed me a picture of a 'mammogram in the old days'. It involved a wringer washer so I don't need to explain.

I phoned her, got put through to her, and the first thing I said was, "YOU'RE A SICK PUPPY!"

It took her a moment but then she cracked up laughing!

(owww.......)
    Cleaned and examined, all in a few seconds?

The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Cleaned and examined, all in a few seconds?

"Gentlemen, we have the technology."
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I remember these - tho I personally never owned or used one. Mom had one tho, which I remember from when I was a little kid. I was warned repeatedly to stay away from it when I was "helping" her do the laundry. Hers was in the cellar (basement) and Dad had also installed a laundry sink for her, so that piece of modern technology on casters, never had to be moved about to use it. Don't know whatever happened to it, but it vanished when the folks bought a new house and moved (I was about 9 at that time), and the brand new house had a brand new washer and dryer.

Of course, that evil monster on wheels that was such a wonderful asset to have back in those days, had to attack at least once that I know of. It turned on my Mom - the very person who loved and cherished and took such good care of it. No - she didn't get her t--s in a wringer........it was her arm.....all the way up to her elbow. Fortunately I wasn't there when the attack took place, but this incident was used to warn me of just how ill-tempered this marvel could be.

Mom wasn't seriously injured tho - just a lot of bruising (physically and mentally from what I was told of the incident) - and a lesson learned.

Haven't thought about that in YEARS - thanks for the memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~