Thread: Life in the Adirondacks!

Life in the Adirondacks!

Hi All,

I post too much on Facebook, but not here! But I am sure some of you know I went off to college in the Adirondacks in Northern New York and I am absolutely loving life in the mountains. I do more photography/hiking than actual school work Not really, but it's winter break and I am back in New Jersey. I miss the mountains like crazy. But I thought I would show some pictures to you guys of my canoeing, hiking, and exploring pictures. These were all taken within an hour or so of my college. OR at my college.

My School is right on a lake, and this is the iconic bird of the North! It's a Common Loon. Their calls are incredible..If you've never heard them you can hear them right here:
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Loon/sounds

Another shot from Canoeing! This is St. Regis Mountain, the view from my Dining hall. But I got this shot while canoeing.

Fall Colors

This is a bit down the Road from my School! That mountain you see if WhiteFace, which is a total tourist trap/ski resort.

Okay, so I did not hike Whiteface, and I made fun of it, but I will eventually...I drove to the top. It is the only high peak in which you can drive up. One weekend we were bored, so we chose to do that. It's so worth it! That lake you see is Lake Placid. The town of Lake Placid is actually not on that Lake, it's on Mirror Lake.

This is Keene Valley...or an Area where the real high peaks are. I am not sure but I think the mountain in the back in this shot is either Marcy or Algoquin...which means these are some of the tallest in the area. Marcy is the highest peak in the state of New York. We went hiking here to get to Indian Head, but we never made it because it was too late and we weren't ready to sleep in the wilderness.. We also found an old barn, and of course we went inside, smart right?

The top is the view from Jenkins Moutain...small mountain but long hike LOL. And that bird is a Northern Bobwhite, which we ironically saw on the side of the road! They're extremely rare in the Adirondacks!

I am in a bit of a rush, but I hope you all enjoyed I have plenty more. I'll post some of the wolves from the ADK wildlife refuge later today!

Beautiful pictures, and thanks for sharing!
    I've Been Frosted

What beautiful shots! Thank you so much for sharing the dream you're living, Alyssa!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Wow, how beautiful! Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with me!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Beautiful pictures-Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

It's beautiful there! Thanks for sharing!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Blog Entries
    What beautiful country, thank you for sharing your photos.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Beautiful! Great shots. Did you miss the shore at ALL?!! These are great pics, so glad you took the time to get the new camera and develop your photography skills. Really shows in this group of photos. Thanks for posting these! Looking forward to the next installment (hint!).

What beautiful country all around you. Thanks for sharing the pictures & my cat, Joey, wants to thank you for the spooky sounds of the Loons. He loved them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am glad you all enjoyed these so much! Thank you for the kind replies. Aren't loons the coolest?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Beautiful! Great shots. Did you miss the shore at ALL?!! These are great pics, so glad you took the time to get the new camera and develop your photography skills. Really shows in this group of photos. Thanks for posting these! Looking forward to the next installment (hint!).
    Sandie, too be honest, no! I've missed my family, friends, and being close to stores...but the beach...no! I mean, I love where I grew up and I have to say I appreciate it more now that I have been away. But the mountains have always called to me more than anywhere else, and to be honest, the Adirondacks in particular. I can't recall the whole entire quote, and it's very corny, but the Adirondacks are my "one true home".

Awesome pics, what a beautiful scenery! Years ago, I read a book written by a woman who chose to leave the big city (I think it was NYC) behind and built a log cabin in the Adirondacks to live there in solitude. That was the first time I ever heard of that region, must be breathtaking!

That scenery is absolutely stunning. I adore the second picture - makes me want to be on that boat! Lucky you living so close!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Thank you for sharing these pictures!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018