Thread: Litterbox update and question....

Litterbox update and question....

So, last month I started this thread about moving our kitty's litterbox here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...the-litter-box
    And I felt like giving an update. I loved the idea of moving it gradually, and that was the *plan*. However, sickness happened. My two daughters spent eight days with the flu, and moving litterboxes didn't happen. And then, my best friend came to visit, and it was crunch time. I HAD to move the litterbox...she has a one year old that is scooting everywhere, and the litterbox was right out the doorway where she was going to be sleeping. So, we moved the litterbox to our huge walk-in bedroom closet, and then for 24 hours we didn't let Maisy leave our bedroom so that she wouldn't get confused about where the box was. And it worked! She hasn't had a litterbox accident, and the box is in a new location and its working. Yippee!!

So, I am just wondering, in what room do you keep the litterbox(es)? Our house is big enough, but it just doesn't seem to be an ideal spot for it. We have one bathroom that would be big enough, but hubby doesn't want to deal with stepping in litter crumbs after getting out of the shower (i can understand that). Everywhere else is carpeted. Kitchen/diningroom and bedrooms are not ideal either because of the smell. I was just wondering what other people do. haha

So glad it worked! Yay! No litterbox advice from me, of course, as Miss Hoppy's was in her hutch, which was in the laundry room, then the kitchen, but bunny litter boxes are different in too many ways to compare!
    I've Been Frosted

That is great that the move worked. You did right by closing her in for a bit, so this limited her options.

I have spare bedrooms, so litter boxes are in those, with a gate across to keep the dogs out. I also have 8 boxes in the cellar; the way this house is set up, it is easy to leave the cellar door open. However once I move to the other house, that is going to be awkward, and I haven't figured it out yet.

I originally kept all the boxes upstairs in the spare bedrooms. They all moved downstairs when I had the hardwood floors refinished a few years back; the cats had to stay down there with the door closed, so the crew could work. After, it just seemed easier to leave them, and just bring a few upstairs. There will be 2 spare bedrooms in the other house, so I may just keep all upstairs again and see how that works. Once I move, I won't need 12 boxes for 7 cats, either. I have that many just now because I leave for 4 days 3 nights at a time to work on the other house. Time will tell.

Keeping it in the bathroom presents this question: what if someone is in there for an extended time (bath, shower, etc) and kitty has to go? You are setting things up so cat has no option but to find another place. Not a good situation, IMO.

That's great that the move worked!
    I have two boxes, one is in the "kitty room" with a gate across the door to keep the dogs out. The other is in the dining room that we never use behind a room divider with a chair blocking so the dogs can't get to it. When we have parties I move the box from the dining room to our bathroom in the master bedroom. Works for us.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I have one litterbox under my desk in my office alcove off the livingroom. My other litterbox is in the bathroom. I just sweep the bathroom floor right before I shower. I only have 1 cat now, but I used to have 3 and I just got used to having 2 litterboxes in the house. Kimba seems to prefer the one in the bathroom.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!