Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Can't Believe She Meant This

I Can't Believe She Meant This

There is a news story here about a recently deceased woman & her dog, Bella. I'll include the link
    here :
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/l...uried-with-dog

I can't believe this person meant her dog should be put down after her own death. I sure hope
    cooler heads prevail here.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

So sad, what happened to the friend she thought would care for the dog? Hopefully the dog can get some training and find a new hem, with the knowledge that when it does pass away, it will be buried with Lay ...
    I've Been Frosted

I have a friend that said this might be the case for her if she goes before her dog. But now she believes she will outlive the dog anyway.
    Her reasoning is that nobody could take as good of care of her dog as she does. I think it's a little ridiculous, to be honest. And I don't think my friend has it in her will.
    Funny thing, above mentioned friend just emailed me while I was reading this thread.

Anyway, I do hope Bela (I'm guessing this is the spelling, since they refer to the dog as male) will be able to live out the rest of his life, somewhere, somehow. They do not tell the dogs age, do they?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

"I can't believe she meant this" - that is actually quite common, for folks to have this in their wills. And sadly, many healthy pets are euthanized when the owner passes, due to the terms of the will.

I am rather surprised you have not encountered this before, it is so common.

Freedom is right--- this is very common , at least around here. And it has been done a few times that I know of. From the looks of this Shepherd it isn't a young dog, Shepherds are usually a one man dog and they don't adapt well to another home when they are older.
    Don't mean to sound heartless but I would recommend that the woman's will be followed and the dog be euthanized, especially since " the friend" has not come forward to give the dog a home.
    People might find it cruel but believe me if that dog could speak it would ask to follow it's master.
    Being in the house when his owner died will make it very difficult for anyone to get near the dog, if not impossible, that dog has to eat and drink and be put out--- doubtful this will be able to get done without someone getting hurt.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument but the article makes me sick at heart. Of course we don't have every detail. That said, I hope that the friend who was left in charge of Bella tries everything else within the realms of possibility before having a healthy animal killed. Sadly I too have heard of this sort of instruction being put in a will. There is the route of specifying that one's pet be taken to a well-reputed no-kill shelter for the rest of pet's natural life, and if possible leaving the shelter as large a donation as possible. In my area there is such a shelter and this is a more common request than I would have thought and it is adhered to. Where I once worked a woman had her healthy cat killed because her new condo didn't allow pets and she felt her cat didn't have a friendly personality to be re-homed. I never spoke to her again, not that it mattered, and a vet who would honour this request equally disgusts me. OK, rant over and blessings for a decent outcome for Bella.

Blog Entries
    Oh pleeeeease.... I'm sure the dog will adjust with some time and patience. All this drama and no one has even passed yet. Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Oh pleeeeease.... I'm sure the dog will adjust with some time and patience. All this drama and no one has even passed yet. Ridiculous
    What do you mean no one has even passed yet? Bela's owner passed away in November. And now the dogs fate is up in the air. And yes, I agree, the right person would be able to work with this dog and let it live out the rest of his life. They just need to give him a chance.

At ARF, the shelter I volunteer with, we have a program called the Guardian Program where elderly or ill people can sign up and they have to make a tiny donation each month (I think) and when they pass away we will take the animal and find it a home. It has happened several times and each time the pet(s) found wonderful new homes to live out there lives. One was two senior dogs and they went to a home together.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    People might find it cruel but believe me if that dog could speak it would ask to follow it's master.
    Being in the house when his owner died will make it very difficult for anyone to get near the dog, if not impossible, that dog has to eat and drink and be put out--- doubtful this will be able to get done without someone getting hurt.
    It's a German Shepherd, not a shark! The dog is at a shelter and they say he's doing fine. At nine years old, he deserves to live! Many dogs get rehomed and do just fine.
    Last edited by chocolatepuppy; 12-24-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Forever in my heart...

Forever in my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post

Yeah, great news. This was the first story I saw this morning when I turned on my pc. A nice way to start the day. I guess the lady's friend had no idea what Best Friends
    was all about before this happened.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/l...-gets-new-home
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Lizbud, I have a feeling the lady had the dogs best interest at heart. Having had a few aggression issues,
    she feared for his future without her.
    Forever in my heart...

Forever in my heart...

Forever in my heart...