Thread: Help for senior citizens with pets in New Jersey

Help for senior citizens with pets in New Jersey

Momcat posted this in the Good News thread. I'm copying it here too, because I think it's a terrific idea. Thank you, Momcat!

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    There's a wonderful story on the front page of the Trenton Times. 13 year old Jordyn Cascone is working towards her Girl Scout Silver Award and decided to do something for pets. Jordyn is aware that many homebound senior citizens on a fixed income will feed their pets before they eat themselves so she decided to create "Jordyn's Cause 4 Paws" and works with Meals on Wheels of Trenton/Ewing in delivering a bag of pet food once a week to clients who have pets. This great program started in October and each week Jordyn "...puts together food bags tailored to the individual needs of 11 dogs, 15 cats, and one fish. The food is provided through donations and purchase." Jordyn said, "I organized this program because the companionship of pets plays an important role in the quality of these recipients' lives. I was very happy that Meals on Wheels of Trenton/Ewing was so open to working with me on my project." The article goes on to say that the Banfield Charitable Trust gave a $2,500 grant to Meals on Wheels to get the Cause 4 Paws program started.
    It was wonderful to see this story on the front page, exactly where it belongs. This wonderful young lady deserves a lot of credit and recognition for her understanding of the importance of pets to seniors and doing something positive to help. I'm definitely going to make a donation to this program. Anyone wanting more information can go to JordynsCause4Paws.org
    http://www.jordynscause4paws.org/welcome.html
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It is great they are able to do this. Sadly, ur food pantry stopped stocking and handing out pet food because there are too many languages spoken for them to keep up with, and there were people not understanding it was pet food, not people food. But the Meals on Wheels folks would, that's a nice idea.
    I've Been Frosted

That is a great gift this young lady has given to so many. I'm sure she earned her Silver award! Thanks for sharing this.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Great idea from an obviously great kid. It would be fantastic to see more agencies pick up on this concept and do the same thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What a great idea... this is one great girl. I want to mention this to our "Meals on Wheels"-- I think it would go over real big and we have some wonderful pet stores that would donate food for the cause, all pet lovers would be more than willing to donate to that cause.
    Thanks for posting this--
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Elyse, thank you so much for posting this here. It's a wonderful idea and hopefully as word of this program gets around, other Meals On Wheels programs will follow Mercer/Ewing's lead.

I believe the good kids like this awesome young lady far outnumber the bad. It was wonderful to see the story of her selfless and caring project on the front page of the Trenton Times giving her the recognition she deserves.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

For anyone with Face Book, Jordyn has a FB page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...62969730505911