Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE post#13/First "real" scare with Wolfy...

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

UPDATE post#13/First "real" scare with Wolfy...

Everything has gone very well health wise for the 15 months that Wolfy has been with me, but last weekend (Saturday) the first scare reared it's ugly head. Of course it was really my fault, and I should have been more careful - but here is what happened.

I was eating sliced baked apples and raisins that I had made a few days prior - just a little snack in between chores that I was doing - when someone came up on the front porch. I put the dish down to answer the door - not even thinking that Mr Foodie was right there and saw what I did. In just the minute it took me to get back to what I was doing, Wolfy was just finishing MY apples and raisins. Apples - no problems, but raisins - definite potential problems. I have no idea how many were in the bowl, but I'm thinking he ate around 6 or 8 of them - no huge amount - but enough to cause problems. I got on line, and depending on which article you read and who wrote it - then ONE grape could be deadly - all the way to the other end of the scale which indicated no big deal if it was just a few. Several articles written by vets, did not advocate pushing the panic button - so I decided against taking Wolf to the ER, but to induce vomiting and just monitor him. Hey - I induced vomiting in a cat without any problem, so this little dog should be simple - right???? NO WAY!!! I used the hydrogen peroxide method rather than salt water, and what I didn't end up wearing, then Wolfy snorted out thru his nose. So - I try it again in about 15 minutes and get the same result. Okay - so it's just keep an eye on him. He was fine the rest of the day and ate his supper with gusto as usual.

The following morning I was a little more concerned tho. He was acting somewhat lethargic and dopey - when I got up around 6 a.m. like I usually do - he is normally right there jumping up on me and acting like a spazz and wanting to go out so he can get back in and have his breakfast. Not this time - he just laid on the bed and watched me for a minute, then put his head down and tried to go back to sleep. Not good !!! I made him get up, and when he did, he was just fine - went tearing around outside and came in and "wolfed" down his breakfast as usual - and then it was "Wolfy as usual" - back to his old self. Don't know what the act was that he pulled - unless he was making me pay for the attempt I made to get him to barf. Who knows????

So that was Sunday, and the only issue he has had, is that the peroxide must have irritated the mucous membranes of his nose, since he's doing more sneezing and snorting than usual - I call it "snitzing". I called Dr Annie on Monday and ran the whole story by her, and she said the nose issue should resolve itself, but she's having him to go in next Monday for some blood work - just as a precaution.

So I'm praying that all of his kidney levels are okay, and that there is no evidence of toxins in his system. I'm optimistic that all will be as it should be, but of course, PT Prayers are always helpful. If you can spare a few for my little boy - we would both be VERY grateful.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 12-22-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Aww, prayers on the way for Wolfy pup!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers for Wolfy Pup.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Prayers and positive thoughts for Wolfy - and his Mom

Wolfy, you sure do keep your HuMom on her toes! But this was not your best move, puppa. Glad you seem to be feeling well.

Ellie, I do know what it is like, you just normally set a plate down. Willy has lived here more than 5 years, and I STILL do that now and again.

Because things seem alright, I did have a chuckle at your results with the hydrogen peroxide. Bet you used up a lot more than needed in the attempts!

As for the morning, he could have just figured the weather meant it was a sleep in day. You just never know what they are thinking. So pleased he was racing about and ate as usual. All good signs.

Of course I will say a prayer for good lab results. Go get 'em, Wolfy!

Wow--- scary story Pom. So glad everything turned out as well as it did. I think little Wolfie is the new "Drama Queen"or "King" ---wants to put you through the wringer ever now and then

Glad he'll be getting checked out just in case though--- fill us in on the results of the visit. Keeping fingers crossed that all will be right with him...
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Eeeeek, that's not a good way to scare your mom Wolfy!!

Jasper tried to swipe a couple of raisins when I spilled some oatmeal on myself recently....I got burned because I ignored the oatmeal all over myself to lunge down and snatch the raisins out of his throat before he could swallow them. >.<

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stay optimistic thru this, and pray that there are no hidden issues that could be detrimental to Wolfy - not now or at a later time.

Funny tho - years ago when I had my 3 Lhasas, my Mr Scooter Bad Boy, loved grapes, and whenever I was eating them, I would give him a few. Of course this was before I knew anything of a grape/raisin issue with dogs. He never had a problem because of eating them - so just maybe this whole debate is on the overly cautious side, or maybe some dogs have a sensitivity to them, but not others. Stands to reason - what makes ME sick,, isn't necessarily going to make YOU sick. But - Mr Wolfy/Mr Foodie will still have the blood work - AND NO MORE RAISINS/GRAPES - EVER. ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Just seeing this! I used to give my dogs grapes all the time. Not the two I have now, but past dogs. Then they said no grapes or raisins.
    I hope all is well with Wolfy.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Just seeing this! I used to give my dogs grapes all the time. Not the two I have now, but past dogs. Then they said no grapes or raisins.
    I hope all is well with Wolfy.
    Some dogs - especially larger ones, can be fine with grapes in limited quantities - my Great Uncle Mac's Border Collie, Molly, would leap to catch one 6 feet into the air. But raisins are, of course concentrated, and Wolfy, for all his fluff, has so little mass to him that it is scary!
    I've Been Frosted

williamjack Guest
    Oh this is really awesome dude.

Quote Originally Posted by williamjack View Post
    Oh this is really awesome dude.
    Perhaps I am missing the meaning behind this comment, so perhaps you could explain what is "awesome" about this thread. I speak of my little dog, and the possibility that he could have toxins in his system, caused by the ingestion of some raisins. There are folks here that happen to care about him (and me) - so unless you meant that you find Wolfy and me to be "awesome" - then perhaps it is wise to just say nothing at all. I think THAT would be pretty darn awesome.

And again - let me wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS

Feel free to check back later in the week for the results of Wolfy's blood tests, williamjack. I'm certain that the posting of that information would be considered by you, to be "really awesome dude".
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

UPDATE/post#13/Wolfy's raisin raid

Wolfy had his bloodwork done this morning, and everything looks fine - just as it should. All the levels that would have been a major concern, where perfect and in the range that they should be. His BUN was a tiny bit elevated, but Dr Annie said that could be a simple dietary protein thing and she isn't concerned with that, since everything else is good. She said we'll do a recheck in 3 or 4 months, but doesn't see any indication of problems arising further down the road.

So that was the best news I could have hoped to get. Such a fantastic Christmas present too.

Thank you all for those PT prayers, since I know from past experience, that they can work wonders. Wolfy says woof-woof (thank you) too, and wishes all of his extended PT family, a very MERRY CHRISTMAS - to all the people and their beloved pets..
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Wolfy had his bloodwork done this morning, and everything looks fine - just as it should. All the levels that would have been a major concern, where perfect and in the range that they should be. His BUN was a tiny bit elevated, but Dr Annie said that could be a simple dietary protein thing and she isn't concerned with that, since everything else is good. She said we'll do a recheck in 3 or 4 months, but doesn't see any indication of problems arising further down the road.

So that was the best news I could have hoped to get. Such a fantastic Christmas present too.

Thank you all for those PT prayers, since I know from past experience, that they can work wonders. Wolfy says woof-woof (thank you) too, and wishes all of his extended PT family, a very MERRY CHRISTMAS - to all the people and their beloved pets..
    Yay, so glad everything is back to normal, what a relief! Merry Christmas, Indeed!
    I've Been Frosted

Yes - this "Raisin Raid" of his, could have turned out to be quite problematic. He gave Dr Annie the "stinky eye" yesterday when she was drawing blood. I had to remind him, that he wouldn't have had to have this done if he wasn't such a big Mr Foodie/Piggy. I guess he'll always be that way - Dr Annie said that's just the nature of some dogs, and there's nothing we as people, can do about it. At least his other episodes of thievery were harmless - The Breakfast Bowl Bust and The Peanut Butter Cracker Caper.

But all is well - thank goodness.............
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013