Thread: Local wildlife

Local wildlife

One of these days I have to get a trail camera and put it out back by the pond. It should give me some interesting images/videos.

As I was leaving to run an errand Sunday night, I turned the headlights on on the truck and spotted 2 gorgeous does, munching carrot tops and apples down under the apple tree. (It's also where our compost pile is.) Thankfully I didn't have Angel with me, or I would have been on a ski trip. The pup can PULL!

We've also had our share of rabbits in the yard again, evidently the really mentally challenged rabbit somehow managed to survive spring and summer, and is now trying his luck in the winter. We have to keep a firm hand on someone's collar when we take her out, as the fool rabbit doesn't respond to the noise of the door opening. He just sits there, and then bolts when Angel charges out after him.

A new visitor in the yard is a red squirrel who has taken up residence in the pine trees across from the house. He blends in well enough with the bark on the trees that Angel doesn't really see him unless he hangs around on the lower branches when the pup is patrolling. He might actually be intelligent enough to last for a while.

Last but not least, we were shaken out of bed by a very irate pup the other night. The local coyote pack evidently either made a kill or found a hunter's gut pile. They were howling their fool heads off, broadcasting to the pack that there was food. Angel was the first to hear it, and she bounded across the bed to the window to see what was going on.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

How old is Angel now?

Edit: I must confess that I had to go back and read about Lady's passing and Angel's entrance. I knew Lady had passed but wasn't sure when.

Does she still sleep on the back of the couch? My mom's Scottie did that, emulating the cats.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Wow, so neat! We are so happy you got to see the does! And when Patch thinks he wants to try his luck outdoors, remind him of those coyote howls, okay? I was very happy, when we had our first real snow of the season to realize that Kini - or some relative - still lives in our yard, as there were definite bunny prints going to the water dish I set out for the birds and critters, and then back away! He may have been drinking from it all along, just not when we were looking!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    How old is Angel now?

Edit: I must confess that I had to go back and read about Lady's passing and Angel's entrance. I knew Lady had passed but wasn't sure when.

Does she still sleep on the back of the couch? My mom's Scottie did that, emulating the cats.
    She still naps on the back of the loveseat, she uses it as a spot to sun and keep lookout for the wildlife.

She's roughly 3 (we think...), there was a difference in opinion between the shelter and the vet's office, the shelter said she was a year, the vet said she was 6 months old or so.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    She still naps on the back of the loveseat, she uses it as a spot to sun and keep lookout for the wildlife.

She's roughly 3 (we think...), there was a difference in opinion between the shelter and the vet's office, the shelter said she was a year, the vet said she was 6 months old or so.
    Shelters can give some wildly different ages on pets. Dogs mature later than kitties, so she can still be silly at two or three.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

As hyperactive as she is? She'll be being silly for a long time to come.

Not sure how I feel about that.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    As hyperactive as she is? She'll be being silly for a long time to come.

Not sure how I feel about that.
    Settle in for a long haul. Wolfy turned 5 at the end of October, and he is still a crazy wild hairball, with no signs of slowing down. I love it tho, and if he did get quiet, I'd swear he must not be feeling well.

I lucked out at the shelter where I adopted him, since he was a surrender by an elderly lady who could no longer care for him. He came with all his records, so I got to know his birth date and other pertinent info. He was just a month short of 4 when he became my furever kid - filling the emptiness left behind by the 2 original Fuzzbuttz.

Post #9229 - cool!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~