Thread: Ghost Text

Ghost Text title change test

I have Grammarly installed on the laptop, and the latest update is causing some problems on a particular forum. The forum uses php.
    I have ghost text interfering with replies. Even on a new thread, the characters are echoed over top the current text.
    Help? I also have a mousepad freeze program since my version of windows has an erratic mousepad.
    I have no problems with facebook.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 04-05-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I have Grammarly installed on the laptop, and the latest update is causing some problems on a particular forum. The forum uses php.
    I have ghost text interfering with replies. Even on a new thread, the characters are echoed over top the current text.
    Help? I also have a mousepad freeze program since my version of windows has an erratic mousepad.
    I have no problems with facebook.
    That sounds like a problem with your screen refresh, not with the php software! Have you tried scrolling down and back up in the window when it happens?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    That sounds like a problem with your screen refresh, not with the php software! Have you tried scrolling down and back up in the window when it happens?
    yup, it seems to happen only to this forum. I don't belong to any other forums, but maybe I should check. Grammarly recently did a big update. hmmm.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I signed up in another forum, Gateworld, just to see if I have the same problems. Yup. It's a display while typing in the text box. The posts display fine otherwise.

I'm going to shut down the computer and restart. If it continues upon restart, I will remove Grammarly. That should do the trick.

Edit: Nope, restarting doesn't help. uninstall is next.

Edit: Okay. Disabling Grammarly extension and restarting Chrome worked.

I really like Grammarly. I'll need to check this out.
    Anne

I signed up in another forum, Gateworld, just to see if I have the same problems. Yup. It's a display while typing in the text box. The posts display fine otherwise.

I'm going to shut down the computer and restart. If it continues upon restart, I will remove Grammarly. That should do the trick.

Edit: Nope, restarting doesn't help. uninstall is next.

Edit: Okay. Disabling Grammarly extension and restarting Chrome worked.

I really like Grammarly. I'll need to check this out.

Okay - yeah, some extensions interfere with different versions of system software! Especially on PCs.
    I've Been Frosted

Okay - yeah, some extensions interfere with different versions of system software! Especially on PCs.
    Well, this is a laptop but not much different than a PC. I disabled and then deleted Grammarly. I emailed them, and they say they are looking into it.

The real issue is that the software does automatic updates. That means that I can't refuse or roll it back. Perhaps they will look into that so that their software would be used.

At least I didn't pay for it. Then I would really be annoyed.
    Anne

Well, this is a laptop but not much different than a PC. I disabled and then deleted Grammarly. I emailed them, and they say they are looking into it.

The real issue is that the software does automatic updates. That means that I can't refuse or roll it back. Perhaps they will look into that so that their software would be used.

At least I didn't pay for it. Then I would really be annoyed.
    That's good - someone with grammarly in their email address registered for Pet Talk - did the support for Grammarly have a gmail-based address?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    This isn't considered ghost text - but it did pi$$ me off.

I use Firefox - and my default home page and search engine has always been Google - ever since I got my first computer. It seems that Firefox has divorced Google and taken up with Yahoo. Firefox deleted MY default choices from MY computer, and put THEIRS on here instead. My son said it's just Firefox installing updates - but still........... Excuse me Firefox - but this is MY computer and you have no business making choices for me. I had to go thru the annoyance of changing it back - no big deal or time consuming effort - but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. Updating or not, I don't think this particular action should be allowed to happen.

If Firefox chooses to mess around - then I'll just go with Google Chrome. At least I know that Yahoo won't be shoved down my throat by GC !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

That's good - someone with grammarly in their email address registered for Pet Talk - did the support for Grammarly have a gmail-based address?
    I'll have to see. Maybe. They did send an email to me saying they are aware of the problem. I don't think I told them what forum it was. Must not be too many forums out there. Oh, I just checked the email. The screenshot had the URL in it. They wanted to see what the fuss was about.

AS for email address, the replies I've received are from grammarly.com. I've not seen the gmail address.

I'm glad they are checking it out.

I told them I had to remove grammarly. I didn't pay for it, but I'm sure they have some paying customers.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    This isn't considered ghost text - but it did pi$$ me off.

I use Firefox - and my default home page and search engine has always been Google - ever since I got my first computer. It seems that Firefox has divorced Google and taken up with Yahoo. Firefox deleted MY default choices from MY computer, and put THEIRS on here instead. My son said it's just Firefox installing updates - but still........... Excuse me Firefox - but this is MY computer and you have no business making choices for me. I had to go thru the annoyance of changing it back - no big deal or time consuming effort - but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. Updating or not, I don't think this particular action should be allowed to happen.

If Firefox chooses to mess around - then I'll just go with Google Chrome. At least I know that Yahoo won't be shoved down my throat by GC !
    Oh I can't stand it when they make choices for us. McAfee got a major chewing out last year just for that. I finally switched recently to an open sourced AV program.

McAFee would interfere with my web choices on a regular basis.
    Anne

three months back and doesn't work.
    Anne