Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting worried

I'm getting worried

Missy has been here since yesterday and she hasn't eaten anything yet. I cooked a piece of chicken an hour ago, cut it out small and served it with a bot of the broth. she didn't touch that, either.

I think she misses her mom. Missy has been playing today, and walks around exploring some more, she even jumped up on top my wardrobe earlier. I don't want to worry her mom unnecessary, because she must be exhausted from moving and has been to work today, also.

This is the thread I started for her: http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthre...10#post2511510

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Try not to worry. She obviously isn't sick if she playing and exploring. I'm sure she misses her Mom, but she'll eat when she gets hungry enough.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Mark the level of the water, so you can tell is she has been drinking anything, but if she is active and seeming okay otherwise, I'd not worry quite yet. Our dog used to refuse to eat anything for a day when my mom went away, especially if my dad put the food in her dish (he was the big meanie who took mommie away and didn't bring her back ... a.k.a. drove her to the bus for the trip to her convention ) but after a day, if I or one of the other kids prepared her food, she's reluctantly eat it.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you! It's good to know that your dog also didn't eat for the first day, Karen.

Missy is a sweet girl and I hope she'll feel more secure tomorrow. I can tell she doen't like strange noises. This evening she has been playing some. I put some real strong Valeriana inside a toy and she went for it! After my dinner, she went and sat in my chair. I'm hoping she'll come to bed with me. We'll see!

Will keep you updated.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

It's not really unusual, she'll hungry her way out of the snit.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thank you! It's good to know that your dog also didn't eat for the first day, Karen.

Missy is a sweet girl and I hope she'll feel more secure tomorrow. I can tell she doen't like strange noises. This evening she has been playing some. I put some real strong Valeriana inside a toy and she went for it! After my dinner, she went and sat in my chair. I'm hoping she'll come to bed with me. We'll see!

Will keep you updated.
    Good girl, Missy! You played with a toy and sat in Randi's chair! Fingers tightly crossed!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Mac did not eat at all for the first day or two I had him. In fact, he stayed hidden in my hall closet for the first 24 hours. When he was ready to eat and drink, he did. I just had to be patient. Missy will eat and drink when she is good and ready to, which shouldn't be too long now.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Yay, she starting eating, but only a little bit. I also saw her drink some water this morning.

Other than that, she has been exploring some more and racing around after a little leather ball I threw, she wants to continue that game - I'll get some excersise too. When I sit down, she'll stay close to me, so all is well.

Thank you for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Yay, she starting eating, but only a little bit. I also saw her drink some water this morning.

Other than that, she has been exploring some more and racing around after a little leather ball I threw, she wants to continue that game - I'll get some excersise too. When I sit down, she'll stay close to me, so all is well.

Thank you for your replies.
    This might help you. When I had just the two kitties, Spunky and Sam, I would travel with them to my mom's. They were so excited each time that they didn't eat much. If I stayed long enough, they would eat. At least I didn't have to worry about them eating the Meow Mix my mom fed. Hers would actually join mine for the meal.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 12-04-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I don't mean to alarm you, but since I have seen this happen first-hand before (with my own family and with clients pets at work) I feel it fair to bring up...

Cats *MUST* eat something every 24 hours. If they don't, they're at risk for developing hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver. This happens because the body goes into panic starvation mode and starts storing fat in the liver. My sister lost her cat to this after she stopped eating when they moved.

Cats can be so sensitive and prone to stress... I'm glad to hear she is starting to eat... but if you're having trouble getting her to eat, offer her *anything*, entice her to eat, give her wet food, anything.

With time, she will come around. Sounds like she is stressed... have you looked into using calming phermones like Feliway?

It just worries me when I see people saying things like "don't worry -- she will eat with time". While this is appropriate with dogs, it can be very dangerous for cats to go a day or two without eating.

Also, this post may have some good suggestions for you about transitioning a kitty to a new house. I understand that she is not acting quite as "petrified" as the kitty that this post was about, but different cats will show signs of stress in different ways, so I think you can get some good ideas from this post to help ease her transition http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ry-timid-kitty

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I don't mean to alarm you, but since I have seen this happen first-hand before (with my own family and with clients pets at work) I feel it fair to bring up...

Cats *MUST* eat something every 24 hours. If they don't, they're at risk for developing hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver. This happens because the body goes into panic starvation mode and starts storing fat in the liver. My sister lost her cat to this after she stopped eating when they moved.

Cats can be so sensitive and prone to stress... I'm glad to hear she is starting to eat... but if you're having trouble getting her to eat, offer her *anything*, entice her to eat, give her wet food, anything.

With time, she will come around. Sounds like she is stressed... have you looked into using calming phermones like Feliway?

It just worries me when I see people saying things like "don't worry -- she will eat with time". While this is appropriate with dogs, it can be very dangerous for cats to go a day or two without eating.
    We know, Jessika, and she started eating a bit after the first day, as we suspected she would. I bet she may have eaten a tidbit or two when Randi was not looking that first day as well. If it had gone on for another day, we would have ben worried, we know dogs and cats are different!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    We know, Jessika, and she started eating a bit after the first day, as we suspected she would. I bet she may have eaten a tidbit or two when Randi was not looking that first day as well. If it had gone on for another day, we would have ben worried, we know dogs and cats are different!
    I know that the Pet Talker is above the average pet owner when it comes to knowledge, but this is a very common misconception that I hear a lot... online, in the clinic, just in general that I can't assume that everyone does know it. If my saying it saves one life, Sora's death wouldn't have been in vain.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I know that the Pet Talker is above the average pet owner when it comes to knowledge, but this is a very common misconception that I hear a lot... online, in the clinic, just in general that I can't assume that everyone does know it. If my saying it saves one life, Sora's death wouldn't have been in vain.
    Yes, I do not mind you posting all that, as anyone can read our threads, and stumble across them! Mind you a know certain kitty who went days without food - but he had plenty of weight to burn at the time. Waving at ya at the Rainbow Bridge, Pippin! (he died many years later of unrelated issues, no worries!)
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you so much for your inputs. I'm happy to tell you that Missy is eating more now, and she is racing after a ball whenever I throw it. I bought some other food (Perfect Fit) and mixed with her KitKat - it seems she prefer that, judging from what kind is left in the bowl. She is also interested in licking tap water and she has been drinking from a glass I put in the bathroom. All in all she appears to be happy and healthy.

Sounds like things are coming along just fine with Missy.

Well done, Missy and Randi!!!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery