Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some puppy breath for you..(pics)

Some puppy breath for you..(pics)

Apparently somebody dropped a box full of puppies off at Petco a while ago. All of them died from Parvo except these two. One of the groomers here has adopted them. They've been coming to work with her for the past few days...and I just couldn't resist taking pics! Aren't they adorable? I think they are around 7 weeks old....the one with a red collar is a female named Fiona (aka Fi Fi), and the one with the blue collar is a male named Porter (aka fat head hehe).

Just admit it...we're cute!

Watch it...she bites!

Just because I have an unusually large head it does not give you the right to call me "fat head"

Can we get outta the cage now pleeeease?

p.s. What is your estimate on the breed? It really looks like they are a lab mix....we were thinking maybe with chow, or even sharpei? Porter's face really looks like a sharpei..you can't tell in the pics, but he has wrinkles around his mouth, and some above his eyes. He has short fur. Fiona really does not look like a sharpei..she had (she was shaved) medium length fur, and both of their tails do a bit of a curl, so that's why we were thinking chow. Also I know at least one of them has a purple spot on their tongue. From a distance they both look like little black labbies.

They are VERY cute and I'm so glad they survived and have a home!! I would let her know not to take them to work anymore or let them around ANY other dogs for 6 months or more. After they recover from parvo, they still shed the virus for 6 months and can carry it to other dogs, especially other puppies.

They do have a lab/sharpei look to them.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I know....she really does not want to have them at work, but she can't leave them at home. She has an apartment that does not allow dogs. She's taking them with her on her trip to Texas for Christmas, and leaving them with her parents.

I didn't know dogs could still carry Parvo for over 6 months. They've been kept in the top cages, which are never used for other dogs. She has another dog, a schnauzer, that has not met the pups yet but will be going with her.

How easily is parvo spread? I don't know if these 2 actually ever *had* parvo, I don't think they were ever sick....I'm not really sure on the whole story, she just showed up with them one day.

Yeah, they are still contagious and shedding the virus out for 6 months after they have it. There is less of a chance of a dog catching it if it is a healthy adult and up to date on vaccinations. Puppies and older dogs, or dogs with health problems that cause their immune system to be down are a lot more likely to catch it.

Also, if the puppies come in contact with a healthy adult dog, that dog may not get parvo but that dog could carry parvo to another dog. There's about a 10 day incubation period of the virus so if she's had them for less than 10 days, they still may come down with the virus. Bleach kills parvo so I would bleach out every area the pups go to. Also when they go potty, take them somewhere where no other dogs will go because it can linger for months in the ground.
    Alyson

Those pups are so cute! Too bad about their littermates that didn't make it

I think Aly has given you excellent advice. I was also thinking the pups should not be around a public place where other dogs will be going. They are cute and hopefully your friend will be getting them their vaccinations soon. I definitely see lab/Sharpei in them. Well at least in "fat head". He is going to be a big boy when he finishes growing!

veryyyyy precious!

Awww! They are both just so cute!

Sorry to hear about their littermates not making it, but I'm glad they have!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

What cute babies!! I'm also sorry to hear of their brothers & sisters not making it! These two look like they will make really good companions. They def. look like they are lab mix, but hard to say at a young age.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

THey are really cute, I think they look like lab mixes too.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Sooooooooo precious!!! I'm so sad to hear about their littermates Hopefully these beautiful babies will lead very long, healthy lives!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Very cute pups, and sorry to hear that their other brothers and sisters didn't make it.

Parvo is very easily spread, our roommates dog had parvo..but we were told so many different things. We were told by one person that it carries for 6mths, 1yr, 6yrs...does anyone really know which is the correct time frame!

Deisel and Phoebe were safe though as they were all up to date on their shots and very healthy....

how sweet! sorry to hear about their littermates thankfully, they were able to be saved. maybe there is a special plan set out for them...okay, now i'm getting a bit philosophical wishing them long, healthy lives!

ps - i can only suggest lab mixes as their breed

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Awww They are so cute!! So sorry to hear about their littermates
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Originally posted by turner

Parvo is very easily spread, our roommates dog had parvo..but we were told so many different things. We were told by one person that it carries for 6mths, 1yr, 6yrs...does anyone really know which is the correct time frame!
    It seems that 6 months is the most common time period in the research I've done and vets I've talked to. I've seen way too many parvo cases at my old work
    Alyson