Thread: If the latest pointless medical study is true

If the latest pointless medical study is true

Then I'm all set.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...zheimer-s-Risk

It shows that regular, life-long moderate coffee consumption was associated with a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease with the body of evidence suggesting that coffee drinkers can reduce their risk of developing the disease.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Hmm, is it just the caffeine? Does tea count?
    I've Been Frosted

It's not just the caffeine, according to the study it's the other compounds in coffee along with the caffeine.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Interesting study. It just shows that no one method prevents disease or causes it for most diseases.

I wonder if they plan to study the effect of mental stimulation on the development of dementia and Alzheimers? How many people also read the newspaper or work crossword puzzles while drinking the morning coffee?
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I read this about nicotine patches...seems some people with Parkinson's have found help from them. I've read only anecdotal proof on a PD forum I subscribe to.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...arter-excerpt/

“I understand that smoking is bad,” said Maryka Quik, director of the Neurodegenerative Diseases Program at SRI International,
    a nonprofit research institute based in California’s Silicon Valley. “My father died of lung cancer. I totally get it.”

“The whole problem with nicotine is that it happens to be found in cigarettes,” she told me.
    “People can’t disassociate the two in their mind, nicotine and smoking. It’s not the general public that annoys me,
    it’s the scientists. When I tell them about the studies, they should say, ‘Wow.’ But they say, ‘Oh well, that might be true,
    but I don’t see the point.’ It’s not even ignorance. It’s their preconceived ideas and inflexibility.”

I met Quik at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience held in Washington, D.C. Amid thousands of studies presented
    in a cavernous exhibition hall, the title of hers jumped out: “Nicotine Reduces L-dopa-Induced Dyskinesias by Acting at 2 Nicotinic Receptors.”

“A huge literature says that smoking protects against Parkinson’s,”she said. “It started as a chance observation, which is frequently the most interesting kind.”
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Doctor's and other "educated" people can be just as closed-minded as the uneducated.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)