Thread: Group finds new homes for beagles used in research

Group finds new homes for beagles used in research

When I worked at Loyola, the word was put out that the research lab was ready to re-home some dogs. An organization came in and took applications from employees, did the screenings and chose the adoptive families- there were way more applications than there were dogs who needed homes. They kept the other applications on file because there were other employees who had passed the organization's screening and wanted to be chosen in the future. The dogs went right home from Loyola with their families. It was fun to see the beagles go home with their people! This was in December so the organization put bows around their neck that said, "Santa, I am good!"

I spotted this on the CBS Chicago Web site. I wish it wasn't necessary to use any living creature in research, but I'm glad efforts are made to give these doggies good homes.

------
    Dogs living in cages are used for medical research including here in Chicago. One breed is used more than any other, but as Roseanne Tellez reports, one group is working to give these animals a new life after the lab.

The former laboratory beagles are reluctant, but volunteers finally coax them from their cages for a first taste of freedom. Shannon Keith is with the Beagle Freedom Project.

“These dogs have spent their lives in a cage. We were told by people in the lab that they have never been outside, seen sunlight, or had a toy,” said Shannon Keith with the Beagle Freedom Project.

To avoid euthanizing them, some labs release the dogs to groups like the Beagle Freedom project, which places them with people like Jamie Foster of Naperville.

Describing her new dog Casper, Foster says, “After everything he’s been through, he’s just such a positive little guy and full of life.”

Casper spent 4 1/2 years at an unnamed lab in the Midwest, before coming to live with the Fosters and their other dog Linus.

“He was scared at first,” Foster said. “He was afraid of the TV, music and any loud noises.”

An estimated 70,000 beagles like Casper are being used in U. S. research labs right now including some in the Chicago area. According to the USDA, in 2012 Abbott laboratories had 1,286 dogs. In 2013 the University of Illinois had 751, UIC had 129, IIT had 114, and this year Baxter Health Care had 16. We don’t know how many were beagles, but they are the most popular due to their size and friendly nature.

“I was extremely surprised at the numbers. I had no idea. I think most people don’t have a clue,” Foster said.

Life in the lab can mean several dogs to a cage. They are used to test chemicals and drugs. One lab outside Denver allows breaks for play and TLC.

“I have a number of examples of very positive outcomes in human and animal medicine that have resulted in positive medical treatments as a result of dog research,” said Dr. Don Maul, a veterinarian with Preclinical Research Services in Fort Collins.

But an undercover PETA video from another lab shows a dog being force fed Oxycontin and that years in a cage takes a toll.

“Nothing is against the law so they’re put through all kinds of cruelty,” said Kathy Guillermo with PETA.

For Casper, the effects of the lab linger only slightly.

“Linus has kind of taught him how to be social, how to be a dog,” said Foster.

AbbVie which now handles the medical research formerly done by Abbott Labs, says it actively looks for groups to adopt dogs. Baxter says it has initiatives now to reduce and replace the use of animals in testing. IIT had no comment. UIC has a webpage that discusses the use of animals.

Cindy Buckmaster, Ph.D. Chair of Americans for Medical Progress also sent WBBM a statement. Click here to read it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I never believe anything PETA says, I am sure life in a cage is not ideal for any dog, but they are not a trustworthy source for any serious journalism. I do wish computer models were more accurate and more usable than living beings, and hope that someday that will become the case.
    I've Been Frosted

There are strict standards like you wouldn't believe regarding the husbandry and use of lab animals. Aside from preventing cruelty, it is well known in pharma that stressed out animals do not give valid test results when dosed with compounds to assess toxicity. Animals are expensive! The minute there's a validated alternative, pharma will be all over it like white on rice.

My company has a similar adoption process for retired lab Beagles.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    There are strict standards like you wouldn't believe regarding the husbandry and use of lab animals. Aside from preventing cruelty, it is well known in pharma that stressed out animals do not give valid test results when dosed with compounds to assess toxicity. Animals are expensive! The minute there's a validated alternative, pharma will be all over it like white on rice.

My company has a similar adoption process for retired lab Beagles.
    Good to hear!
    I've Been Frosted

Am I the only one who was wondering why you retired bagels in the first place?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Mmmm....bagels. Had lox and bagels for brekky yesterday!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb