Thread: dog aggressive at bedtime.

dog aggressive at bedtime.

Hello. My dachshund Caboose has an issue when we say bedtime or he sees us getting ready for bed. He is perfect during the day no issues. We have had him for 3 years. At bedtime I will go to move him or kiss him and he will growl and show his teeth. Last night my husband tried correcting him and Caboose tried biting. He sleeps with us. He is such a loving dog but at bedtime he changes. We show him Love all the time. Why does he do this and what can we do?

Someone's having issues with who is actually in charge.

I'd start by not letting him in the bedroom at all until the behavior goes away.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Yes, have you done any obedience training with him? Definitely sounds like he has decided the bedroom – and the bed – is his, which is not a good thing!
    I've Been Frosted

Where is he when you try to move him and this happens? You didn't specify that he is already on the bed, but the prior posters did think that. I'm not sure on this, though.

Start using treats. HIGH VALUE, something he never gets any other time. Small bits of hot dog, boiled boneless skinless chicken breast, small bits of cheddar cheese.

And do take some obedience classes with him! Take group classes, and both you and husband need to attend. During the week both of you independently need to do all the homework and practices with the dog.

Blog Entries
    Dog aggression is a major dog problem for owners.Dog aggression stems from the dog's frustration and dominance. The dog's frustration comes from a lack of dog exercise, and the dog's dominance comes from a lack of calm-assertive leadership. Thank you for sharing!