Thread: Chewing on new shower curtain

Chewing on new shower curtain

A week ago, I did a cleaning spree in my upstairs bathroom, taking everything out, washing out the litterbox, throwing out the old shower curtain and rugs, washing down the walls, etc. Once the room was spotless, I put everything back with a new shower curtain and new rugs. The next morning, one edge of one of the rugs had been chewed on, leaving some threads loose from being ripped out. I trimmed off the loose threads, and the rugs haven't been messed with since.

However, this Saturday, I discovered that somebody has been chewing on the new shower curtain, leaving an inch and a half strip all tattered. Both Casey and Smokey may be responsible, but I've only caught Smokey actively chewing on it, something they never did with the old one. This evening, after finding that he's been chewing even more while I'm at work, I sprayed where he's been chewing with Bitter Yuck. He went in, took one sniff of it, and started chewing and licking where I'd sprayed it. I then tried some of the bitter apple spray that I also had from Petsmart, and he appears to like the taste of that as well.

Anybody have any suggestions? Am I correct in assuming that he's simply marking his territory with the new shower curtain?

Sounds like he's bored, not marking territory! Can you leave the door shut to that bathroom? or leave interactive toys there?
    I've Been Frosted

Unfortunately, the upstairs litterbox (the one they both share) is in there since there is no room for it in the upstairs hallway, and I keep the doors to the bedrooms (2-bedroom townhouse) closed since there is too much in both of those rooms for them to get into trouble.

I think one thing that might be factoring into the issue as well is that he and Casey since putting in the new shower curtain have been going in the bathroom after I shower and watching the water droplets running down the curtain (it's clear). I'm almost wondering if I should try going back to a non-clear shower curtain, which I haven't had since before the cats. It's just strange that the last clear one before I changed it out was never touched. Only difference with this one is that it's a little thinner than the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatanuga View Post
    Unfortunately, the upstairs litterbox (the one they both share) is in there since there is no room for it in the upstairs hallway, and I keep the doors to the bedrooms (2-bedroom townhouse) closed since there is too much in both of those rooms for them to get into trouble.

I think one thing that might be factoring into the issue as well is that he and Casey since putting in the new shower curtain have been going in the bathroom after I shower and watching the water droplets running down the curtain (it's clear). I'm almost wondering if I should try going back to a non-clear shower curtain, which I haven't had since before the cats. It's just strange that the last clear one before I changed it out was never touched. Only difference with this one is that it's a little thinner than the last one.
    Hmm, is there room for a second litter box in there? I know space can be tight in a bathroom, but one of them may not appreciate sharing that letterbox now? Did you change the kind of little or anything else?
    I've Been Frosted

Pinot is 7 and still licks the shower curtain in the guest bath. It's something about the plastic - she likes plastic grocery bags, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmm, is there room for a second litter box in there? I know space can be tight in a bathroom, but one of them may not appreciate sharing that letterbox now? Did you change the kind of little or anything else?
    No room for a second litterbox. Refilled it with the same litter as before, and there's no issues with them not using it or sharing it (caught them once using it at the same time). The shower curtain doesn't look any worse tonight than it did this morning, and he got in the tub earlier without trying to chew on it. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Well, I caught Smokey biting at the bottom edge of the shower curtain again, but I think I've finally figured out why it's getting chewed on.

My old shower curtain, like this one, was clear. However, it was a heavier plastic than the one I have now. The new one has three weights embedded into the bottom, something the old one didn't have. When I put the new curtain in, Casey and Smokey both tried playing at the weights but couldn't get to them through the plastic. Where Smokey has been chewing is the edges around the lower corner of the shower curtain where the weight is.

So, I'm now going to start looking for a shower curtain that has no weights (if it can be seen through) or one that the weights can't be seen in.

Blog Entries
    I may have shared this already, but our cat Mia cannot resist plastic and eats it. We figured it out fairly soon, so we just hide it all. Took a little while, but now it just comes naturally to hide the plastic. Kind like hiding booze from a drunkard That craps not good for her.

Blog Entries
    Jeez, she never chews the shower curtain. Maybe cuz we have a fabric one in front of the plastic one and she doesn't know it's there, THANK GOD!!! Good luck!!