Thread: Acupuncture & Herbs

Acupuncture & Herbs

On Wednesday (11/12/14) Kiara wasn't acting herself. The almost 11 year old puppy who still runs and catches frisbees in the air.

When I got home from work around 1pm, she jumped off my bed and her back legs splayed out as she fell to the ground. She brushed it off and came outside with me.

I could tell she was very uncomfortable and every time one of the other dogs ran by her, she would wince and brace herself. Normally, she would either run along with the other dog or would have brought me five tennis balls by now.

Long story short, she just wasn't right and I could tell in a lot of discomfort. We went back to work and the doctor that has helped her with her anxiety checked her out. The xrays showed us that she has arthritis in her pelvic area.

He gave us two game plans, rimadyl/tramadol or acupuncture/herbs. I chose to go with what I have learned to trust. When I first started working at this veterinarian I was highly skeptical until I saw the amazing results. Kiara received her acupuncture and was rearing to do something when before she was uninterested in activity.

She's now on herbs daily and going to be getting weekly acupuncture. So far the results are amazing and she's back to her normal self. On the other hand, she is on restricted activity for two more weeks which is not fun for either of us. She keeps frantically bringing me random items (sock, sandal, empty bowl, a dead squeaker that I had no clue where she even found it, anything.) She's very upset that I seem to have become bored with the tennis ball and has to find a "toy" that I'll play fetch with.

I am very grateful for her antics because I know she feels good. Once again, acupuncture and herbs have helped Kiara!

I attached a picture of Kiara receiving her acupuncture and then one recent of her and her tennis ball.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141112_164341.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	423.7 KB 
ID:	58902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141113_225451.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	554.3 KB 
ID:	58903  

Aww, that's good! Yup, Kiara with tennis ball in the mouth - that's the Kiara we all know!
    I've Been Frosted

That is fantastic! So glad Kiara feels better.

My Willy has hip dysplasia and severe arthritis in both hips and both knees, left side is worse than right. He is on Adequan, which is injectable glucosamine and chondroitin. I've been told these are the building blocks the body needs to maintain and possibly increase the cartilage cushion between bones at a joint. The injection is easy, NOT in a joint like a human cortisone injection. Willy is also on Dasuquin with MSM, half a tablet daily. Either of those may be something you want to investigate as well.

Yes, I too stay away from the rimadyl / metacam / tramadol when possible.

Awwww! "Come on, Mom, I want to play!" She is so cute.

It'll be soon, sweetie! And how great the herbs an acupuncture work so well! In the acupuncture photo, are the needles hooked up to an electrical box to stimulate the problem areas?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries
    Hello Kfamr glad to hear your dog is doing well and very lively like she used to be.

Glad you went with the acupuncture. I too am very leery of those arthritis meds and when my horse had a bad injury to her feet and back I chose the acupuncture---- the vet happened to watch my dog and said the poor guy has pain in his back, told her yes but I didn't want to put him on anything--long story short she offered to do acupuncture on my dog also and a back placement -- after less than 2 months the horse was again able to compete and my dog became his old self after a few treatments..and was like a new dog, pain totally gone. He lived to 16 which is old for a GS.
    So I'm one for herbs and acupuncture, just hate pumping any kind of pain med in an animal.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----