Thread: Need someone to talk to

Need someone to talk to

My boss at work clearly doesn't like me. Normally I just brush it off and try not to think of it. But a while ago I got really sick (I had a high fever and felt like crap) I asked to go home early he said no, I wasn't really sick. So the next day I talked to him and said I'm not going to lie and pretend to be sick just to get time off. And he said ok fine.

So we have a big inventory day yesterday, I'm set to work a 12 hour shift. Sunday afternoon I slip and hurt my back very badly. I had to go to the ER and get looked at. I have bruised ribs and possibly a fracture. The doctor said definitely do not work for at least 1-2 days. And I was in so much pain I couldn't anyway. So I go into work today and he just keeps picking on me all day. Like I must have slipped because I was drunk or hung over (I don't even drink much, and I don't do drugs or anything) then it was oh you just went to the ER to get pain killers thats it. I showed him a bruise on my elbow he said it was nothing. I said the one on my back was worse. He then said his back had a bigger bruise.

I work in a pet store so sometimes we carry stuff outside for ppl if they can't lift it. My back is still very sore but I decided to go in anyway. He intentionally leaves his break til when the other girl goes on break and says "Lets leave her alone for a while" I'm like what should I do if someone needs something carried out?? He later says I just hurt myself rolling out of bed probably. He keeps going on and on about how my back isn't really that bad. At that point I started to cry and just went outside. I can't take it, I know it's stupid and I shouldn't cry over everything but it's really hurting feelings. I want to quit it's so hard to find work here though....

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Awww, sweetie, I understand. Back injuries are hard, because it is not like you have a cast or crutches as visible proof! Next time, as the doc if he/she can give you a note to show your boss - a standard "No Bending/Lifting/twisting for X days" would be sufficient! You boss may have dealt with employees before who have had drug issues, so now expects that from young people, but you are not them, and we know that. Maybe Clover will sleep pressed up against your back tonight - a doggie heating pad - and that will help it heal! Fur nurses are the best.

If you boss continues with those comments, consider documenting them, and writing a letter to his boss. It is sounding like harassment if he continues it!
    I've Been Frosted

I did give him a doctors note.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I did give him a doctors note.
    That's good. Keep a little notebook, and write down what comments, time and date. If it continues, he is the problem, and the company might lose a valuable employee. If he is doing it to you, I am betting he has done it to others in the past.
    I've Been Frosted

Like I must have slipped because I was drunk or hung over (I don't even drink much, and I don't do drugs or anything) then it was oh you just went to the ER to get pain killers thats it. I showed him a bruise on my elbow he said it was nothing. I said the one on my back was worse. He then said his back had a bigger bruise.
    *banging head on table* What a creep! If you weren't drunk or hung over, then you just went to the ER to get pain killers?! That's NOT acceptable! Are you (expletive deleted) kidding me?! This is SO not acceptable. I am boiling mad for you. I need the help of some PTers who are smarter than me! but if he had gotten you to let him actually show you the bruise on his back... well, that just smacks of harassment somehow to me. Sending you ENORMOUS hugs, Sowa. I agree with Karen - a letter to his boss might have an impact. Especially if you can get a different job, get away from this creep, and hand the letter to his supervisor on your way out the door.

And if a customer needs something carried out - you call him. You have already given him a doctor's note. Don't you go moving things for customers. Just smile at the customer and tell her you will get someone to help her with her purchase. DON't lift it.

HUGS,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I agree, what a creep he is! Next time you need to talk to him, see if you can record what he says on a dictaphone or perhaps a cell phone. Are you a member of a Union, then they will be able to help.

Good luck - and take care!

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    And if a customer needs something carried out - you call him. You have already given him a doctor's note. Don't you go moving things for customers. Just smile at the customer and tell her you will get someone to help her with her purchase. DON't lift it.

HUGS,
    Elyse
    That's the thing, he left when the other girl had her break so I was the only one there. I couldn't get anyone else to help and he knew that.

Document EVERYTHING!!! Talk to the HR person and let them know what's going on. And continue to document every little thing. Even if you think it isn't a big deal.

He is the one providing bad customer service by leaving you alone and not able to assist customers. You simply tell the customer you are not able to help them, but someone will be back after their break.

This guy should NOT be a manager!!!

I'm so sorry.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Does your province not have a Labour Rights Commission to whom you can present your case? As well-stated above document everything, just in the event that you can find some way to take your case to some sort of board or HR dept.

AS someone who has been harrassed before, document everything. And do speak to supervisors. Keep a journal of all meetings and events.

It's already harassment if he's been making little comments all this time.

These days bosses need little to fire employees, so I don't think it's not liking you. He's a bully and he is enjoying watching you suffer. And don't wait like I did. Start now. And if speaking with his boss does nothing, speak to the boss's boss.

Hugs and good luck.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)