Thread: Caring for feral cats at Hawthorne Racetrack outside Chicago

Caring for feral cats at Hawthorne Racetrack outside Chicago

I heard this story on the noon news, and it made me very sad. Hawthorne is about a stone's throw away from where I grew up. There are stray and feral cats on the grounds and they hang around the barns. A woman who lives near the track goes each day to feed and keep an eye on them. The owner of the track has asked her to reduce the number of sites at which she feeds the cats, with the rationale that the food she puts out for the cats attracts rodents and other "critters" who could potentially transmit disease to the horses. I don't disagree with that. When you feed outdoor kitties around here, you feed the raccoons, the opossums, and even the occasional skunk. The problem I have with the situation is that the owner of the track is not allowing the woman a chance to try to safely trap the cats so they can either be taken to a shelter or relocated elsewhere. There are good rescue organizations in Chicago that could probably help her rescue these kitties and determine which of them are healthy, which need medical care, and which can be socialized and possibly rehomed. It would be good publicity for the track to show that they're doing right by the kitties.

I heard this on CBS radio reported by Mike Krauser, who also did the story about NUBS (No Unwanted BirdS). Here's his story http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...or-feral-cats/

If you are into online petitions, here's one you can sign. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/153/1...-killing-cats/

Karen, I'm putting this in the Dog House because it involves a petition.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I just signed the petition, Elyse.

I hope all the publicity will help and things will work out for the kitties and Ms. Gobernatz . God bless them all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

CHICAGO AREA: Race Track Owner Denies Access to Colony Caretaker...40 Community Cats Starving to Death

Elyse posted about this yesterday in the Dog House (since there's a petition linked to it, but that's not in this post). Here's more.
    ===================>

For the past seven years, Carrie Gobernatz has fed and cared for 40 feral cats at Hawthorne Race Course in Stickney, Illinois. That is, Carrie Gobernatz fed and cared for 40 cats on the backside of the racetrack up until a few days ago when the track’s security team informed the caregiver that she could only tend to the animals in two spots regardless of whether or not all of the cats could access the areas.

The racetrack’s owner, Tim Carey, told Gobernatz that he wanted all of the cats to be removed from his property even after he was made aware that tracks throughout the country have successful programs that allow volunteers to care for the community catsat their locations. Hawthorne Race Course’s backside manager, Tim Becker, apparently went one step further when he said he hates the felines at the racetrack, predicted that they’d all be eaten by coyotes and unmistakably asserted that he doesn’t give a damn about the cats.

When Gobernatz first started caring for the colonies of cats living on the backside of Hawthorne Race Course, she claims that two horseman at the facility told her that racetrack employees scooped up kittens from a horse stall and put them in the trash. Gobernatz further asserts that she rescued a cat from the track after receiving a call from a Hawthorne employee who said the animal was abandoned in one of the track’s rooms. Gobernatz says no one affiliated with the track bothered to investigate who was responsible for the animal.

Due to the now restricted areas that Gobernatz must confine herself to, some of the cats she’s been tending to for years are currently going without the food, water and medicine they need to survive. In a Facebook post, Gobernatz describes Cheeto's case as being exemplary of the suffering some of the cats are currently experiencing because of the decisions representatives of the Hawthorne Race Course have recently made.

Cheeto is a blind cat who needs to take Clavamox every day. When Gobernatz arrived at the racetrack earlier this week to transport Cheeto to Treehouse, a Chicago-based organization whose vet was willing to examine the cat, she was told not only that she wasn’t allowed to enter the area where Cheeto lives, but she was also not permitted to leave food or water for Cheeto and his brethren…and she was not allowed to give the Cheeto the medicine he needs to take every day.

Cheeto has now gone more than four days without food, water or medicine. And sadly, he is not the only cat living on the backside of Hawthorne Race Course who’s been going without the things cats need to survive.

Gobernatz needs help from the public to continue to provide help to the cats she’s been tending to for more than seven years. Please call or send emails to the Hawthorne Race Course employees identified below. Please do the same with the elected officials and racetrack industry contacts that are also identified below.

Only we, concerned citizens, can help Gobernatz to right the wrong that is currently being enforced by Hawthorne Race Course.

Hawthorne Race Course
    3501 S Laramie Avenue
    Stickney/Cicero, IL 60804
    708-780-3700​

Tim Carey, Owner & President of Hawthorne Race Course:[email protected]

Christina Vitone, Assistant to Tim Carey: [email protected]

John Walsh, Assistant General Manager of Hawthorne Race Course:[email protected]

Jeffrey Kras, Chief Financial Officer of HRC: [email protected]

Dennis Taylor, Director of Security of HRC: [email protected]

Rhonda Sosnowski, Marketing Manager of HRC: [email protected]

Jack Carey, Director of Food and Beverage of HRC:[email protected]

Stickney Police Department: 708-788-2131

Deborah Morelli, Mayor’s Office: 708-749-4400

Department of Agriculture: 217-782-6657

Governor Quinn
    Office of the Governor
    James R. Thompson Center
    100 W. Randolph, 16-100
    Chicago, IL 60601
    312-814-2121

The Jockey Club
    40 East 52nd Street
    New York, NY 10022
    212-371-5970

llinois Racing Board: https://www.facebook.com/ILRacingBoard
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Here's a response from the track. This situation makes me so angry I could scream.

Hawthorne Race Course Hawthorne Race Course (11/4/14)
    Contact: Jim Miller, 708-780-3700 Regarding Wild (Feral) Cats Near Hawthorne Race Course Barns

As a center of agribusiness, Hawthorne Race Course, much like all horseracing facilities across the nation, has wild animals that are attracted to its barns. Given Hawthorne's location within an urban setting this includes feral-wild-cats. For several years, Hawthorne has allowed a local community activist named Carrie Gobernatz to access its private property to care for these wild cats. Ms. Gobernatz continues to have daily access to Hawthorne's private property, and has, in fact, fed these wild animals without interruption. In recent months Ms. Gobernatz has placed food throughout the barn areas attracting non-feline wild animals including skunks, possums, rats and raccoons. These animals pose a serious health risk to Thoroughbred race horses as they are likely to carry diseases which are communicable to horses. Several horse owners and trainers have approached Hawthorne with concerns about the health of their animals. A virus outbreak in a Thoroughbred race horse population can result in a quarantine of the entire facility, a suspension of racing and thus a loss of jobs and income for hundreds of small businesses. We operate in a highly regulated industry and have a legal, statutory obligation to provide a safe and secure facility for licensed race horses, their owners and their caregivers. Hawthorne often hosts as many as 2100 horses and thousands of licensed professionals on its backstretch (barn area). Ms. Gobernatz is not licensed to be on Hawthorne's backstretch. Nonetheless, we empathize with Ms. Gobernatz's cause and we met with her recently to discuss these concerns. At this meeting it was determined that she would continue to be allowed access to the facility once per day to provide care and food to the wild cats, but that she must only provide food in (2) areas that we designated as safe to do so. Ms. Gobernatz agreed to these conditions and has provided care within these guidelines. However, recently Ms. Gobernatz has again tried to leave food throughout our facility, raising new concerns from horse owners, trainers and State Veterinarians. Hawthorne has been a stalwart business member of the community for more than 100 years. We have been working with the Villages of Stickney and Cicero, as well as the Illinois Dept. of Agriculture and the Illinois Racing Board to address the concern of wild cats on our property. These organizations are well aware of our intentions and our compassion for these animals and have praised our efforts as such. Our guidelines have been very reasonable but Ms. Gobernatz's demands for more access and her accusations against our company's character are counter-productive to finding a solution that will benefit these animals. We appreciate and share the compassion that many have for these animals. Please know that we are working with local animal control authorities and rescue facilities to relocate and care for these wild animals. - See more at: http://www.barntowire.com/2014/HAWno....ClbV9ZMS.dpuf

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I'd contact Tim Carey's office, the Illinois Department of Agriculture, and/or the Illinois Racing Board (312-814-2600). Stickney is a small town and I don't believe their mayor or police department would be able to be of much help. Please see my post in the other thread with their response. It is frustrating because there are good rescue organizations in Chicago that would be able to help the cats and their caregiver.

I merged these two threads, it is okay in Cat Rescue. It is hard to figure out who is more right or wrong here, if she has cats that need medication daily, why have they not been captured and rehomed somewhere that can happen? Surely this is not the only barn in the greater Chicago area ...
    I've Been Frosted

Just signed too. Sad situation, but hopefully every signature helps.

Here's an update. It looks like they are trying to work something out.
    Edited to add: I'm not familiar with Triple R Pets. They serve the south and southwest suburbs of Chicago. I know PAWS Chicago and Tree House will do an excellent job with any kitties they are able to rescue from the track.

Since Thursday, October 30th, Hawthorne Race Course has received several hundred emails and social media messages regarding concerns about the feral cat population around our barns and stables. While we have tried to respond to as many of these inquiries in a direct manner, in an effort to keep the public informed, we have comprised a list of the most frequently asked questions below.Additionally, we are providing a list of outside organizations that may be contacted as references to our policies and care of these animals.

Please email future questions, concerns and comments to [email protected] and we will do our best to reply directly and update this FAQ accordingly.

Q: Why won’t Hawthorne allow Ms. Gobernatz access to feed and care for the feral cats?

A: We do allow her access. She has been allowed on-site everyday to feed and care for the cats.

Q: Has Ms. Gobernatz ever been denied access to Hawthorne’s private property?

A: No. However, on 10/29/14 Ms. Gobernatz visited Hawthorne with her young daughter to feed and care for the cats. Both women were allowed in, but were informed that Ms. Gobernatz’s daughter would not be allowed future access due to safety concerns. On 10/30/14 Ms. Gobernatz again returned to Hawthorne with her daughter. The daughter was not allowed access as had been communicated and Ms. Gobernatz decided to leave.

Q: Why is Ms. Gobernatz access to feeding areas restricted? Why did Hawthorne’s policy change?

A: After receiving complaints and concerns from horse owners and trainers that Ms. Gobernatz was over-feeding the cats and as such was attracting skunks and raccoons to the barn area, Hawthorne management met with Ms. Gobernatz on 10/23/14 to communicate these concerns. Skunks and raccoons pose serious health risks to thoroughbred horses such as viruses that are communicable between the species. Hawthorne has a legal and statutory obligation to provide a safe and secure facility for race horses. We asked that Ms. Gobernatz limit her feeding of the cats to two areas that we designated as safe. In this meeting she agreed to these conditions. We believe this to be a compromise for all parties involved that does not risk the health of any animals (cats or horses) on Hawthorne’s grounds.

Q: What about the cats that don’t come to these two designated feeding areas? Are they starving?

A: No cats at Hawthorne are starving. On Tuesday, 11/5/14, Christina Vitone from Hawthorne Race Course visited all of the original feeding areas at Hawthorne with Ms. Gobernatz. Ms. Gobernatz identified (7) different areas where she had been feeding the cats. (6) of these locations still had food when Ms. Gobernatz and Ms. Vitone visited them. Some locations were designated by Ms. Gobernatz as for single cats. Ms. Gobernatz said that other locations were for as many as 8 cats. By our estimates based on the numbers reported by Ms. Gobernatz on 11/15 and from Hawthorne facility staff, we estimate that there may be approximately (25) feral cats on the property.

Q: Are there non-feral cats at Hawthorne?

A: Yes, several horse trainers also keep barn cats on Hawthorne’s ground. These cats are required to be collared, spayed and neutered. Several of these collared cats were seen during Ms. Gobernatz’s 11/5.

Q: Will Hawthorne allow other animal care organizations access to its facility?

A: Yes. We have always provided this access. Currently we are working with PAWS Chicago, Tree House and Triple R Pets to manage the feral cat colony at Hawthorne. Individuals from these organizations are scheduled to visit Hawthorne on Thursday, 11/6/14 to develop a care plan for these animals.

Q: Will Hawthorne allow TNR (trap, neuter, release) programs at its facility?

A: Yes.
    Q: Will Hawthorne allow cats to be removed from the grounds?

A: Yes. During Ms. Gobernatz’s visit on 11/5 she identified and made direct contact with a cat for which she claimed to have a rescue home. However, Ms. Gobernatz declined to take the cat with her during this visit.

Q: What about Cheto, the blind cat? Will Hawthorne let Ms. Gobernatz care for and/or remove this cat?

A: Yes. On 11/4/14 Ms. Gobernatz specifically requested access to find Cheto and provide care, which we granted. During her visit on 11/4/14 with Ms. Vitone, Ms. Gobernatz was unable to find Cheto in the feeding area in which she expected the cat to be. Ms. Gobernatz was allowed to leave a trap for Cheto, but declined to do so. She did leave additional food for the cat which she said had medicine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I merged these two threads, it is okay in Cat Rescue. It is hard to figure out who is more right or wrong here, if she has cats that need medication daily, why have they not been captured and rehomed somewhere that can happen? Surely this is not the only barn in the greater Chicago area ...

Karen, the larger and better-known one is Arlington Park, which is up in Arlington Heights. I was there once for a concert. They had a fire in 1985 and lost their entire grandstand. Since then it's been reconstructed and it looks really good. they hosted a free concert by Lee DeWise (sp?) who was a winner on American Idol from the northwest suburbs. I would say Arlington Heights is a more suburban area than where Hawthorne is, which is sort of residential to light industrial. Arlington Park also hosts the annual Christmas fair for Lambs Farm, which is a center for people with developmental disabilities. The Christmas fair got too big for Lambs Farm, so now they have it up at Arlington which is much better. Easier to park, good access for people with wheelchairs or strollers and much bigger for shoppers. In the summer they give "backstage" tours at Arlington, and you can visit the track and the horse areas. You can bet on the races, of course, but you don't have to. You can just go and watch the horses and the fans.

I wonder what the parks do where the Triple Crown races are run? Do you suppose their barns attract kitties, and do they have a way of caring for them?

Here's an update from the Tree House Web site. It's not dated on their site.

Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve been hearing from concerned animal lovers about the situation at the Hawthorne Race Course. Generally, people are asking what they can do to help, and whether the recent changes will be effective in terms of providing the cats with the ongoing care they need. In a nutshell, here’s what's going on:

Background
    There have been some disconnects between the track cats’ long-time colony caretaker and Hawthorne Race Course management over how to effectively meet the needs of all the animals in their care. The colony, which consists of an estimated 25 - 40 feral cats, has been cared for by a single caretaker for seven years with ongoing spay/neuter, admission, food, and TNR assistance provided by Tree House Humane Society, Triple R Pets, and PAWS Chicago. Recently, disagreements over aspects of colony management including the number and location of feeding stations resulted in race course management requesting that the colony caretaker step away from her role.

Action Plan

We are developing a new colony management plan to prioritize and address all issues:

- TNR any unaltered feral cats
    - Rescue any friendly, socialized cats (including a cat named Cheeto, and a mom and kittens we just learned about today)
    - Assess the location and number of cats in order to best situate new feeding stations and shelters
    - Supply new, clean winter shelters and take responsibility for their ongoing maintenance

Oversight

- A caretaking supervisor from our coalition will be on site at least once/week to ensure that the caretaking plan and protocols are being followed by the Hawthorne staff and volunteers made up of horse owners, trainers, and caretakers

- We will schedule bi-annual clean up and treatment days to ensure the health and safety of the cats and horses, and will trap and rescue cats as needed

- We have maintained clear and open communication and cooperation with the Hawthorne Race Course management who seem to truly want to work cooperatively with us for the good of the cats and all other animals at the course

There are many media reports, blogs,and petitions about the situation. Here are just a few:

Kathy Mordini, writing for Chicago Now announced: “The feral cat community at Hawthorne Race Course is now in good hands after a week of controversy about the future of the cats at the horse track that was ignited when the track ownership and the long-time colony caretaker had a falling out. Tree House Humane Society, Triple R Pets and PAWS Chicago have joined forces with Hawthorne’s ownership to work on an action plan for the care of the cats…”

Steve Dale, writing for Chicago Now reminds readers: “Hawthorne Race Track is not 'the bad guy' here. If they really didn't want the barn cats, or to support the cats being spay/neutered, they would have done something years ago.” Hawthorne wants the cats to be cared for, but they are concerned for the horses as well.

Chicago CBS quoted a release from Hawthorne stating that the manner in which the cats are fed draws skunks, raccoons, and possums, which pose a serious risk to the well-being of the horses in their care.

We want to assure concerned parties that the coalition is dedicated to the ongoing care of these cats and will assist with TNR, placement of any friendly cats or kittens abandoned at the track, and any other issues that arise surrounding the care of the cats in a timely manner, all while safeguarding the health of the thoroughbred horses.

Excellent! I'm so glad that Tree House and others are stepping in to work with the Hawthorne people to see that the cats and the horses are all safe.

Death thought about it.

Update from Tree House Animal Shelter's Web page ---

Here's What We're Doing

After just two weeks of observations, assessment, planning, and training with Race Course management and caretaking staff, the Coalition of animal welfare organizations has made significant progress.

New Shelters and Feeding Stations in Time for Winter

On Monday, November 17th, representatives from Tree House and Triple R Pets, along with Jim Miller and Tim Becker of Hawthorne Race Course, distributed 20 new insulated shelters and four feeding stations at four different locations around the backstretch of the race course. These locations were selected based on the natural shelter already provided by the site (e.g. Hawthorne staff cleaned out one trailer so we could place shelters and a feeding station inside). Other sites are located under trailers and one is between a building and a large utility box which will provide shelter from the wind and cold.

The sites are also located away from barn entrances in an effort to safeguard the cats and not attract other animals and wildlife to the barns to help ensure the safety of the horses as well.

Food and Water

The cats have access to water at all times in the barns. Additionally, the cats are fed every morning around 9:00 a.m. by track staff. Currently, we are providing enough daily dry food for 40 cats (1 cup per cat) which is the estimate of the highest probable number of cats. This is most likely well over the actual number of cats on the backstretch, however, it will ensure there is ample food while we assess the total number of cats.

In addition to the daily dry ration supplied by Hawthorne Race Course, Tree House donated a year's supply of wet food which is being stored at Hawthorne Race Course. The cats will receive a weekly meal of wet food, which will be administered by a Coalition member. This will help us account for any new cats, closely monitor all cats, and provide the cats with extra moisture and protein in their diets.

During the transition period, the cats were being fed at two different locations on the backstretch to help ensure all cats had ready access to the feeding areas. We have added two new feeding stations (for four total). This will help us better track the cats as well as improve their quality of life by creating four separate “territories” for the cats.

Trapping Rehearsal Stage

Because the cats are still adjusting to their new schedules and caretakers, we are currently in the “trapping rehearsal stage”. It is most efficient and safe for us to begin trapping once the cats are more comfortable with all the adjustments. Therefore, we have traps in place but they are not set. To help the cats become more comfortable, we are placing food in the traps. As soon as the cats are eating well and regularly in the "unset traps", the Coalition will begin safely trapping the cats.

We'll begin by focusing on the trailer feeding station where there is a mother cat and kittens. This area is also near Cheeto's reported location. It has been noted that Cheeto is a blind cat who is living at Hawthorne. The Coalition interviewed more than a dozen people at the Race Course and none have ever seen Cheeto. We will continue to be vigilant about the cat named Cheeto as well as cats who are unaltered, and sick and injured to provide them with the care they need.

Other than the guardian barn cats, we have not identified any socialized cats(or cats who are friendly to humans) on the backstretch. As we begin trapping the cats as well as spend more time getting to know the, if we do find any "friendly, socialized cats" we will immediately place them in a shelter or foster home, and make them available for adoption.

Long-term Plans - Ongoing Management

As a Coalition, we are committed to being involved with the Hawthorne Cats long-term and helping ensure they have a healthy environment and good quality of life. In addition to the day-to-day management of the cats, the Coalition will oversee bi-annual clean up and treatment days to catch any fleas or ear mites, and maintain clean and sanitary shelters for the cats. The Coalition will trap, spay/neuter, vaccinate, microchip, and treat any cats as needed.

The Coalition will also maintain clear and open communication and cooperation with the Hawthorne Race Course management and the public to focus on the goal of a healthy and safe colony for the Hawthorne Cats.

And a picture

This is wonderful! Thanks for the update, Elyse.

What great things can be accomplished when people dealing with different aspects of an issue communicate with each other and work together!

Here's to many years of healthy cats and healthy horses.

Death thought about it.

Update from "Raining Cats and Dogs", a blog on Chicago Now written by a rescue advocate...

" Here’s where I stand on the situation. I’ve been a supporter of Tree House for 23 years going back to my first rescue. I’ve known Jenny and others at Tree House for years. They oversee several hundred colonies around Chicago.

Triple R Pets has worked for years in the suburbs doing the same work being done by Tree House. They are working in conjunction with PAWS Chicago – a group with vast resources. These groups know what they are doing and spend the time assessing and working in feral cat communities in and around Chicago. They’ve been working to make sure their plan does the most good once it was created.

If you’d like to help, monetary donations to support the efforts of the Hawthorne Cat Coalition, are being accepted here. Hawthorne has also established a donation center at its Guest Services Center in the grandstands. "

What good news! Thanks, Elyse.

Where are the donations accepted? Is there a web site?

Death thought about it.