Thread: 8 of the World’s Scariest Looking Animals

8 of the World’s Scariest Looking Animals

I think the Tube Nosed Bat is kinda cute!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-o...g-animals.html

Kara, selected from Treehugger, November 3, 2014

You probably wouldn’t want to encounter any of these in the wild…
    If you’re missing the goblins and ghouls of Halloween, take a look at these real-life monsters. We’ve compiled some of the most unique-looking creatures on the planet. Scroll down to get creeped out!
    Naked Mole Rat
    Look at those teeth! Frightening. Naked mole rats are vegetarian, but you wouldn’t want to be around if they changed their mind… They use the few hairs they do have on their body to feel around as they tunnel under ground.
    Gharial
    It’s hard to say if these guys are funny or scary. They look like crocodiles with squished snouts, but when you look at those teeth…
    credit: James Joel
    Tube-nosed bats
    If gargoyles were real, this is what they’d look like. Luckily these bats don’t feast on blood, they prefer fruit.
    Musk Deer
    This is not Photoshopped – there are in fact deer in the world with vampire teeth. These guys use teeth instead of horns to impress the ladies. The older the musk deer, the longer the fangs.
    credit: Mark Dumont
    Aye-Aye
    This Malagasy native looks like it’s waiting for you to walk by so it can pounce. In the dead of night it uses its long middle finger to tap on trees and listen for yummy insect morsels. To the people of Madagascar, the Aye-Aye are a bad omen, so they’re often killed on sight.
    credit: NWCouncil
    Lamprey
    Look at the teeth on these things! Some species of lamprey suck blood from fish.
    credit: Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
    Barreleye Fish
    You can actually see through this guy’s head. Brains and veins and stuff, isn’t that only supposed to be in zombie movies? Barreleye fish live in the deep sea, so humans barely ever lay eyes on it.
    Goblin Shark
    Yikes! This shark’s schnoz acts like a metal detector so it can find its prey. Then, it shoots its jaw out much like a hand would reach for food. You definitely wouldn’t want to be this guys’ next meal!
    Manon Verchot, from Treehugger
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The Gharial looks like a Caiman relative.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Some of these are more fascinating than scary! And are endangered, like the poor aye-aye! The fish with transparent head is really neat, I think!
    I've Been Frosted

That the Goblin Shark is being caught is a sad commentary on fishing. When local populations are depleted, fishermen go deeper. Goblin sharks live at extreme depths, and shouldn't be being caught if there are sustainable fishing practices being used.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Goblin shark = inspiration for the mouth on the creature in Alien, maybe?
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb