Thread: Smart phone question

Smart phone question

My smart phone has been stupid for the past week or two.

It's an Android Nexus 4.

It will work fine if plugged in to power. If not - even if the battery is above 50 or 70% - it cannot find networks, will crash/shut down and will crash again when restarted. I even did a complete reset. I think that helped for about two hours.

Last night was fun - it kept shutting down and restarting, shutting down and restarting...I tried to get it to the point where I could power it down totally but no luck. So I set it face down and let it do its loop and run the battery down.

Apparently there is a new update due November 3rd which will correct battery life and a few other things. I'll wait to see what that does.

Meanwhile, any ideas what else might be going on? I may be a computer tech but am pretty clueless about phones.

Thanks muchly!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You might try a new battery. Sometimes, even in a newer phone, the battery is just bad.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Try downloading Malwarebytes and run it. You might have a virus or some such.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Try downloading Malwarebytes and run it. You might have a virus or some such.
    I wondered about that. I'll try it a bit later. But why it behaves when plugged in is a mystery to me lol!

Try to give your phone company a call, especially if you have a warranty on your phone. I know when I had problems with my iphone, they were able to fix it for free!

RIP Sally

I have no warranty, sadly. I am running a Malwarebytes scan on it right now. Failing all else, I'll phone the repair shop for a price on a battery. I may call my mobile provider first to see if I can do an upgrade but I think it's too early.

Thanks, everyone!

ETA: aaaaand...no malware! Will call someone tomorrow.

I'm glad, the fact that it works plugged in suggests the battery can't hold a charge. Good luck!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

There might be a manufacturers warranty on it. Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)