Thread: The 'beauty' of the media, conclusion jumping and stupidity at it's best.

The 'beauty' of the media, conclusion jumping and stupidity at it's best.

Another 'school shooting' and the media has taken off without looking, listening or paying attention.

The idiots in the media are reporting about a school 'shooting' near Seattle, WA.

---------------

They have a teacher live on TV talking about the procedures the school system has in place to protect the kids.

She is giving out her name, the fact that she is in a classroom and has kids in the room with her.

She has gone into detail about how the kids are watching the local coverage on their cell phones and how they are watching their schoolmates being led off site.

When the talking head asked her if she had called 911 or the school to let them know she was locked in a classroom, she stated that she had not.

Lovely. This moron is more interested in being on live TV, than she is in protecting the kids that are stuck with her.

---------------------
    Not only is she giving out information that would be helpful to an idiot with an ipad or phone who was watching the coverage - If he is a student from the school, what is it to keep him from going to that classroom and shooting the place up because she has given her name out???

She also went into details about the lockdown procedure- teachers are told to get inside the room, lock the doors, stay away from the windows and or cover the panes with paper so any shooter cannot look in.

While it's a little tougher to do in real life, a person with half a brain can defeat a locked door with a firearm...

----------------------

IF I was a parent, you can rest assured that I'd make it a point to call out that idiot teacher.

I'd make sure that the system was changed and make it a cause for terminating any school employee that was stupid enough to call a media outlet BEFORE calling the school district or law enforcement authorities.

Amazing (SHUDDER...).
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My other 'peeve' goes along the lines of this.....

When you see the SWAT/QRF officers go into an situation like that, You hope that they being all the equipment and force to deal with any threats that may still may pop up in a situation like that?

I am sure that the parents welcome a quick and decisive end to a situation like that?

----------

Here's my 64,000 dollar question?

Isn't that response akin to a 'militarization' of a police force?

If so, why aren't people complaining about THAT?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I am sure, if you flip enough channels, there are people complaining about that!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    My other 'peeve' goes along the lines of this.....

When you see the SWAT/QRF officers go into an situation like that, You hope that they being all the equipment and force to deal with any threats that may still may pop up in a situation like that?

I am sure that the parents welcome a quick and decisive end to a situation like that?

----------

Here's my 64,000 dollar question?

Isn't that response akin to a 'militarization' of a police force?

If so, why aren't people complaining about THAT?
    SWAT/QRF have their place.

However, the tactics and equipment have entered into mainstream police work instead of being reserved for situations that they are really called for.

A few years ago I was leaving work and saw the local PD surrounding a house. They had 20-30 officers, all dressed in full combat gear performing a textbook military cordon and search. The state police were there as well, directing traffic.

What was the incident which called for the level of force? They had a kid holed up in the house who they wanted for a weapons charge and posession off mary jane. The weapons charge? Posession of a knife. Not firearms, not explosives, a pocket knife that the kid had when he was stopped and frisked for an earlier possession charge. He missed his court date, so they came out after the dangerous fugitive with everything in their arsenal.

Another fine example of SWAT/QRF existing where it doesn't need to? Some of local police where I used to live in Massachusetts (rural/suburban area, old mill towns) decided to try for a bond bill to outfit an area-wide SWAT force. They wanted an APC or other armored vehicle, weapons, combat gear, etc. You could tell the generational gap in the police forces requesting the equipment and funding. The younger chiefs were all in. The older, cooler heads, however, who were chiefs of some of the smaller PD's in the area were the nails in the coffin for that boondoggle. They very loudly asked "what in hell do WE need that for?"

The problem with giving the police the military weapons and funding for military gear is the simple fact that once a police force has the equipment, they're going to use it to justify the expense, even when the equipmeent and tactics aren't needed, and can inflame the situation markedly.

The situation in Washington State could have been handled more effectively with a porposal which was lfoated after the Connecticut shooting: An armed police officer on patrol in the building.

You cannot legislate the wild points in statistical data out of existence. Shootings have happened throughout the history of firearms. No matter what you do, you cannot prevent the lone nut from causing damage without removing freedom from everyone.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    SWAT/QRF have their place.

However, the tactics and equipment have entered into mainstream police work instead of being reserved for situations that they are really called for.

A few years ago I was leaving work and saw the local PD surrounding a house. They had 20-30 officers, all dressed in full combat gear performing a textbook military cordon and search. The state police were there as well, directing traffic.

What was the incident which called for the level of force? They had a kid holed up in the house who they wanted for a weapons charge and posession off mary jane. The weapons charge? Posession of a knife. Not firearms, not explosives, a pocket knife that the kid had when he was stopped and frisked for an earlier possession charge. He missed his court date, so they came out after the dangerous fugitive with everything in their arsenal.

Another fine example of SWAT/QRF existing where it doesn't need to? Some of local police where I used to live in Massachusetts (rural/suburban area, old mill towns) decided to try for a bond bill to outfit an area-wide SWAT force. They wanted an APC or other armored vehicle, weapons, combat gear, etc. You could tell the generational gap in the police forces requesting the equipment and funding. The younger chiefs were all in. The older, cooler heads, however, who were chiefs of some of the smaller PD's in the area were the nails in the coffin for that boondoggle. They very loudly asked "what in hell do WE need that for?"

The problem with giving the police the military weapons and funding for military gear is the simple fact that once a police force has the equipment, they're going to use it to justify the expense, even when the equipmeent and tactics aren't needed, and can inflame the situation markedly.

The situation in Washington State could have been handled more effectively with a porposal which was lfoated after the Connecticut shooting: An armed police officer on patrol in the building.

You cannot legislate the wild points in statistical data out of existence. Shootings have happened throughout the history of firearms. No matter what you do, you cannot prevent the lone nut from causing damage without removing freedom from everyone.
    I understand the need for a measured response in certain situations?

My point was the people who had a bug up their arse about a PD showing up to a riot in armored cars are the same people who would want the same PD to show up at a high school shooting with the same show of force?

-----

One of the dumbest uses of an armored car was back in the 80's where the LAPD bought two armored cars and fitted them with a long steel pole with a plate attached to the end.

They would then drive up to a 'crack house', punch a hole in the wall and raid the place.......The only thing it accomplished was putting a hole in the wall and letting the people inside know that someone was trying to come in?

Overkill for sure.

After the homeowners/community 'leaders' made a stink about the practice, they stenciled "Hostage Rescue Vehicle" on the side.

Even then?

During the famous bank shootout in North Hollywood years later, the PD used a Brink's truck to rescue some of the POs and citizens that were pinned down during the event.

--------------

The peanut heads in Ferguson, MO are bothered by the cops showing up loaded for bear when they take to the streets because they believe they have the right to burn, loot and destroy their neighborhoods.

If the cops stood by and let the 'hood burn to the ground, you'd surely hear about the PD's lack of response in dealing with the morons?

Damned if they do?