Thread: Parliament Hill attack: 1 gunman dead after soldier shot at National War Memorial

Parliament Hill attack: 1 gunman dead after soldier shot at National War Memorial

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parl...rial-1.2808710

This news report does not use the word "terrorist". However, a "radicalized Canadian" was killed two days ago and today there were attacks on Parliament Hill, with three men breaking into the House of Commons. This is akin to them breaking into the building when Congress is in session.

Two of them are dead.

There are further attacks in our nation's capital, including a large mall and and the above-mentioned war memorial. The officer shot there has since died.

Here we go...or, hopefully, there THEY go, off the planet!

Authorities have had eyes on about 90 people for some time. The one that was killed the other day was one of them.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

This is just awful.

This was just featured on the 4PM WDIV Detroit newscast and then covered thoroughly on "Inside Edition." They showed officers trying to revive the shot soldier at the War Memorial with CPR.. gunshots in the Capital building... lockdown in the downtown area.

IE interviewed some college kids on lockdown in their dorm room across the street. One of them was saying "... this doesn't happen in Canada!"

I then switched to CBET from Windsor, Ontario.. now that I've got basic cable for the first time in my life, I can get it! But they have some kind of home-shopping or such show on. I'll check them out again at 5pm.

My deepest sympathy to all our Canadian friends. And I'm with you, Candace, "... hopefully, there THEY go, off the planet!"

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRS~~~~ and ,
    from Pat and cats
    Last edited by phesina; 10-22-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

How sad, you Canadians are all in our thoughts.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you. I appreciate President Obama and other U.S. politicians for their comments.

Fear is the enemy here. We cannot let it win.

A corporal who was interviewed earlier today said that Canada had to get a grip on this - and that we must - because this is reality.

This does happen in Canada...it was going to. It was only a matter of time.

The War Memorial guard who was shot was Nathan Curillo, a 24-year-old reservist from Hamilton, Ontario.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ting-1.2808960

"CBC News has confirmed the dead shooting suspect is Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian born in 1982. CBC News has learned that Zehaf-Bibeau has a criminal record in Quebec dating back 10 years on some drug-related charges. Court documents from that time show that he lived at an address in Montreal. He also has a criminal record in B.C., where he was convicted in 2012 of uttering threats and served one day in jail."

No news yet on whether he was a 'radicalized' Canadian.

So sorry about Cpl. Curillo. Deepest sympathy to his family and all who love him and grieve his murder.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    No news yet on whether he was a 'radicalized' Canadian.
    Um,

I will always have a problem with the 'PC' terms that the media uses for idiots that go off the reservation...

Radicalized? Me arse.

This guy is a punk AH that uses a religion as a reason to kill people and disrupt everyday life for innocent citizens.

---------------

This is just like the idiots who are 'driving while impaired'.

No, they are freaking drunk drivers...There used to be a social stigma connected to doing stupid shiat - Let's bring it back, calling these morons something passive just excuses their behavior....

RICHARD, it is not likely that the most recent shooting was done by a radicalized person. Perhaps it was a copycat crime. But given the history below, it's little wonder each individual who kills like this is being examined. They may have converted and joined the racidal version of Jihad due to mental illness - but that makes them no less dangerous.

In late August: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...them-1.2751035
    Members of Calgary's Muslim community say they're alarmed and frustrated at the news two more Canadians have joined the ranks of the jihadist group ISIS, and they're calling on the federal government to do more about the radicalization of youth.
    CBC News reported exclusively on Thursday that Greg and Collin Gordon, who converted to Islam and became known to members of Calgary's Muslim community as Abdul Malik and Khalid, had joined the ranks of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. The brothers disappeared sometime in late 2012.
    "This is getting very serious," Calgary Imam Syed Soharwardy told CBC News. "In my opinion the government has to put up more resources to monitor the activities of those who are recruiting, those who are getting recruited and those who are coming back.
    "My biggest nightmare is those who are coming back."
    [emphasis mine]

The man below waited for two hours until two military officers appeared and purposely ran them down with his car. This was just a few miles south of Montreal. Montreal itself is just 2 hours drive from Ottawa. One soldier died. Rouleau was shot dead.

Couture-Rouleau was one of 90 people being monitored by the RCMP as part of 63 national security investigations, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson said Tuesday.
    Those numbers refer to people suspected of being involved with terrorism-related activities, including financing, not specifically to fighting alongside extremists...

RCMP confirmed that Martin Couture-Rouleau's passport had been seized and that he was one of 90 suspected extremists who the RCMP believed intended to join militants fighting abroad. (Facebook)
    Converted to Islam in 2013

So far, little is known about Couture-Rouleau. He had a pressure-washing business registered in Quebec. Legal documents show he converted to Islam in 2013.
    Radio-Canada reported that Couture-Rouleau's Facebook page, which is no longer active, identified him as Ahmad LeConverti (Ahmad the Converted). That Facebook page shows a young man whose views had become more and more extreme over time.
    Propaganda videos and other materials admiring jihad — or “holy war” against enemies of Islam — appeared on his Facebook profile page, including a video featuring the logo for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
    Earlier this fall, an ISIS propaganda video called on the group’s followers to target people in a number of countries, including Canada.
    It specifically suggested running people over with cars.

However, in the city a mere 20 minutes from me, this happened:

Ottawa shooting: Mother of dead Canadian jihadi Damian Clairmont calls for action

A Calgary mother whose son died while fighting for militants in Syria says the government must do more about the threat posed by homegrown terrorists in the wake of Wednesday’s deadly attack at the nation’s capital.

A picture of Chris Boudreau and her son, Damian Clairmont, taken in November 2011, which was one year before he left for Syria (Chris Boudreau)

Not to mention this bit posted on June 3, 2014: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/suicid...gary-1.2663890
    Suicide bomber killed in Iraq part of wider jihadi base in Calgary

Homegrown extremism abroad has a new face, and CBC News has learned it belongs to yet another Calgary man, a development that points to the West as a hotbed for exporting jihadis.
    His name is Salman Ashrafi, and when the Al-Qaeda splinter group ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) released images of him last month following a double suicide bombing in Iraq in November that killed 46 people, he was celebrated in a martryrdom notice.

Syed Soharwardy, a prominent Calgary imam, says he is fairly sure he knows of certain groups that are behind some of the radicalization of young men in Calgary. (CBC)

Soharwardy said he has told police and university administrators, warning them about lecturers who might be preying on vulnerable young minds and that he believes he knows which organizations may be radicalizing young men. So far, he said, there has been no response.
    Yeah, I guess we've overreacting - NOT.

This is CBC's Rex Murphy's commentary after last evening's coverage of the Ottawa attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89BAADF1bE
    Death thought about it.