Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing GUS (Sunny's new brother); UPDATED PICS :)

Introducing GUS (Sunny's new brother); UPDATED PICS :)

On 9/21, I went to our local rescue to "help" unload a bunch of puppies and dogs who were rescued from a kill shelter in SC. I fell in love with this quiet, sweet puppy and decided to take him home to "foster" him (I always knew we were keeping him...LOL) This pic is him in the car coming home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MoonandBean; 01-02-2015 at 12:24 PM.

This next pic is the next day when he couldn't finish our walk and had to be carried home (we didn't know he was sick at this point but hindsight tells me now that he was a bit lethargic)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We noticed his stools were black so we took a sample in to the vet and found out he had hookworms. By the time we got the results over the phone, he was significantly lethargic so we rushed him to the vet where he first got an IV and then we took him to a 24 hour emergency animal hospital where he had 2 units of blood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gus at vet.bmp 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	58761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gus transfusion.bmp 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	58762  

He got to come home the next day and was feeling significantly better! We treated the hookworms and everything seems to be normal now although we still have to get a totally clean sample (the first follow up still had some worms but the next one should be good). Most importantly, Sunny is on Heartguard which protects against hookworms so we didn't have to worry about her (but of course, I still did and brought a sample in for her too...she was fine)

Name:	Gus feeling better.bmp 
Views:	47 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	58764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunny and Gus smiling.bmp 
Views:	42 
Size:	506.3 KB 
ID:	58763  

We have had him a month now and he is doing great!! He fit right in our home. Moon has only chased him around the house once. Bean ignores him. Sunny loves having a baby brother except at night when he gets the Zoomies and freaks her out a bit. We officially adopted him the day he needed the emergency vet care. He is a total love bug and we love him!!

Name:	Gus in bed.bmp 
Views:	53 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	58765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monkey see monkey do.bmp 
Views:	53 
ID:	58766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun, Gus and Moon.bmp 
Views:	52 
ID:	58767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunny and Gus in kitchen.bmp 
Views:	59 
ID:	58768  

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Welcome, Gus. You sure have been thru a lot already in your young life. How lucky you were to have landed in a home where you got the care that you needed. Hope all the "yuckiness" is all behind you now, and you can concentrate on being the pesty little brother of the family, and getting lots of love and TLC.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hi, Gus and Sunny! Hi, Moon and Bean! Gus, I am so glad you got the care you needed right away! Now you are healthy and having all sorts of puppy fun! Welcome Home!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Welcome to Pet Talk, Gus. You picked a good family to take care of you.

MoonandBean' mom,

You work with a rescue? I now belong to a multistate rescue that works with Greenville ACS. Ours get tested before they leave the shelter. It's a kill shelter, too, but the pull fee includes a spay/neuter and basic shots.

I'm glad he is okay.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Aww, he looks adorable! Bless you for rescuing and helping him!
    I've Been Frosted

Where was the cuteness warning

He is totally adorable.
    LOVE the picture of him in the car seat.
    I think he was trying to hypnotize you with his cuteness.
    please keep me please keep me

Glad he is feeling better.

Welcome to your forever home Gus.

Aww, welcome to Pet Talk Gus!!! What a cutie you are! Thank goodness you're all better now!

I'm sure Sunny loves having a little brother!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Welcome to Pet Talk, Gus. You picked a good family to take care of you.

MoonandBean' mom,

You work with a rescue? I now belong to a multistate rescue that works with Greenville ACS. Ours get tested before they leave the shelter. It's a kill shelter, too, but the pull fee includes a spay/neuter and basic shots.

I'm glad he is okay.
    Thanks mrspunkysmom All of the dogs/puppies that left this shelter in SC were spayed/neutered, had shots and were *supposed* to have been dewormed but his litter somehow missed their deworming and they all had hookworms and roundworms. Gus had the worst case and needed a blood transfusion due to the amount of blood he lost. His hemoblobin was down to 3 and his PCV (packed cell volume) was 10. He really almost died so we are so grateful to now have a happy, healthy puppy and of course, that experience made us love him even more. Our local rescue made sure they let the shelter in SC know what happened so they can be more diligent about deworming.

Quote Originally Posted by maid25cats View Post
    He is totally adorable.
    LOVE the picture of him in the car seat.
    I think he was trying to hypnotize you with his cuteness.
    please keep me please keep me

Glad he is feeling better.

Welcome to your forever home Gus.
    Thank you Yes, he totally won me over. He was so calm at the rescue. After his blood transfusion, he became a little more of a terror but he is still pretty calm for a puppy

Thanks Pomtzu, Karen, Chocolatepuppy and Elise. We totally love him and I survived bringing a puppy home unplanned (neither of us are homeless...LOL)

All that caring and worry is a bonding experience, which runs both ways. I'm sure Gus is VERY attached to his new humans now.

Love th photos, expecially him rolling over and Sunny standing laughing next to him!

Bean let Moon do the 'dirty work' of explaining just who is in charge, ha haaa.