Thread: People Prove That Posting On Facebook Can Actually Get You In Trouble With The Law.

People Prove That Posting On Facebook Can Actually Get You In Trouble With The Law.

http://www.viralnova.com/facebook-po...ampaign=aweber

Did you know that posting something to Facebook can land you in prison? Well, if what you're posting is illegal, of course it can. For many, it's easy to forget that Facebook, despite its home on the Internet, is a part of real life. While we all might wish it so, it's not some alternate universe where people care about what you're up to and nothing can get you in trouble. If you post a picture of a baby smoking marijuana, you're going to hear from the police, even if they never sent you a friend request. Take a look at these awful posts that got the people who posted them in hot water.

A young mother was arrested after posting a picture of her infant child holding and putting their mouth to drug paraphernalia.

An escaped inmate turned to Facebook to taunt the police looking for him. He was soon found and brought back to prison.

fountain
    Paula Asher, 18, was arrested after posting a status that joked about her intoxicated involvement in a hit and run accident the night before.

19-year-old Justin Carter was arrested after posting “I think Ima shoot up a kindergarten/And watch the blood of the innocent rain down/And eat the beating heart of one of them." to his Facebook page.

businessinsider

Muhammad Ruhul Amin Khandaker was sentenced to jail for joking about wanting the Prime Minister of Bangladesh to die.

Jacob Cox-Brown was arrested after posting this masterpiece to Facebook.

John Forehand was arrested for attempting to have sex with underage girls by trying to convince them to meet up on Facebook.

zimbio
    A Moroccan man was sentenced to three years in prison for pretending to be Prince Moulay Rachid, the Moroccan King’s brother.

Four people were arrested after creating a Facebook page that criticized Lebanese President Michel Sleiman. The page was found by the government to be outside of what they define as free speech.

Shannon D. Jackson was arrested for "poking" a woman she was legally forbidden from making any sort of contact with.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The parents (and killers) of little Genesis Sims were caught by incriminating Facebook messages they sent.

Denise New was convicted of a misdemeanor after harassing her son via his own Facebook page.

a-z animals
    Authorities arrested an American couple in the Bahamas for posting pictures of eating a rare iguana. The Iguana is protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

Anthony Stancl was sentence to 15 years in prison after blackmailing 30 of his classmates with the pictures and messages they sent him when he posed as a woman.

English teen Matthew Woods was sentenced to three months in jail after making numerous inappropriate comments about missing children.

Victor Burgos, a criminal on the Most Wanted list, was arrested after posting “Catch me if you can! I’m in Brooklyn" to Facebook.

Mark Dizon was arrested in the Philippines after eyewitnesses were able to identify him based on his Facebook pictures.

Adam Bauer, 19, was given a ticket for underage drinking after posting a picture of himself holding an adult beverage to Facebook.

Australian Nate Shaw was charged with being found on police property without lawful excuse after posting this picture to Facebook.

Australian Nate Shaw was charged with being found on police property without lawful excuse after posting this picture to Facebook.

Jordan Blackshaw and Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan were sentenced to four years in prison for trying to incite a riot after creating a Facebook event for “Smash Down in Northwich Town."

businessinsider
    Aspiring rapper Cameron D'Ambrosio was arrested after posting lyrics that were interpreted by authorities as threats to Facebook.

(via list25)
    Think before you post something to Facebook. Also, think before you give a baby a bong. These posts are troubling on multiple levels. Yikes.

How stupid can people be??? I know someone who lost out on a VERY good, high paying job because of 'partying' pictures on her FB.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm not sure which is more mind boggling:

The fact that (if these posts are accurate) people are dumb enough to post criminal evidence online

or

The fact that people are getting arrested for statements made online with no action to actually commit a crime.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

LH - on your second point, I recalled the case of the director's son in CA who went on that shooting spree. There were lots of verbal warnings on FB and etc, and the cops were sent to see the guy. They didn't think to search his apartment for guns, unfortunately.

I think checking out verbal threats, even by arresting the person, is a case of better safe than sorry.

If they'd arrested the guy in CA, I wonder if things would have been different?

ETA: And yes, people can be incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    LH - on your second point, I recalled the case of the director's son in CA who went on that shooting spree. There were lots of verbal warnings on FB and etc, and the cops were sent to see the guy. They didn't think to search his apartment for guns, unfortunately.

I think checking out verbal threats, even by arresting the person, is a case of better safe than sorry.

If they'd arrested the guy in CA, I wonder if things would have been different?

ETA: And yes, people can be incredibly stupid.
    There's a difference and a fine line between performing due diligence (searching, ordering mental health evals, etc) and arresting someone for comments posted online. Unfortunately, with the current laws in the US, getting someone into a forced commitment for eval can be a nightmare, even when requested by legal guardians.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    There's a difference and a fine line between performing due diligence (searching, ordering mental health evals, etc) and arresting someone for comments posted online. Unfortunately, with the current laws in the US, getting someone into a forced commitment for eval can be a nightmare, even when requested by legal guardians.
    And they can only hold someone for a psych eval for a limited number of hours or days ... so who's to say if they held him, he just wouldn't wait out the 72 hours and then go on his spree?

In some of these posts, they were not Americans, so I know laws are different in, say, a Middle East country than the US. And in many of the cases, i am sure there is more to the story than this one-sentance summary!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm no fan of technology in any of its forms and avoid Facebook like the plague. Sadly, many people I know insist on using it. The biggest issue for me is personal privacy, the biggest blow to our quality of life caused by technocrap. PT is the ONLY site I go to because it's the ONLY one where I feel safe. I do not allow my picture to be taken for any reason, recently someone did without my knowledge or consent then had the nerve to put it on Facebook. When I found out there was hell to pay in front of others so the message would be heard by all. Many couldn't understand why I got so angry about it. They're the ones who have a problem. Even with those I know who use it, common sense completely disappears and they'll post anything. If someone gets in trouble for what they put on there, so what. They were asking for it.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm not sure which is more mind boggling:

The fact that (if these posts are accurate) people are dumb enough to post criminal evidence online

or

The fact that people are getting arrested for statements made online with no action to actually commit a crime.
    Agreed agreed agreed!

But yes, some of these (probably all of these) are true... and yes, people really are DUMB ENOUGH to post this stuff to facebook... I've seen it happen with my own eyes... someone trying to evade court by posting on facebook about how she got a ticket for speeding and not having proof of insurance... You MUST make a court appearance here for not having proof of insurance, but you can just pay your fine for a speeding ticket, etc. So she was talking about her court date for not having insurance, someone asked well you better have insurance, and she said something to the effect of "don't worry... it's being taken care of...", going on to allude that someone was forging documents for her to bring to court to "prove" she had insurance on the date of her ticket. I replied stating "are you sure it's appropriate to post something like this not only to facebook but as a public post on facebook???" She never replied to me, but she never deleted the post OR her comment!!!

She later went on to get arrested for having her three children in the same house as her meth lab... facing 60+ years in federal prison... real winner here, and she was a family member too (WAS... my cousin dropped her really quick).

facebook