Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taggart's New Sister

Taggart's New Sister

Yes, we finally got Taggart a new sister. However, he is a little confused that we won't let them play. She was just spayed on Tuesday so she can't jump around right now. Poor Taggart.

Her name is Zeplyn and we got her at a Pet Fair on Sunday (couldn't bring her home until yesterday after her spay). The name of the rescue is Herd It Through The Grapevine. She is a Cattle Dog Mix. The shelter papers say cattle/pit. And she does have a bit of a pit head shape. It is so strange because I've never had a dog this small or a short hair dog either. But she is a good girl........so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleepy Zeplyn.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	58727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zep wants a treat.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	58728

She is great and is interested in the cats, but never tries to chase them. Paizly swatted at her last night, but didn't get her. It was enough to scare Zeplyn, so hopefully she'll stay clear of them until they are ready. Jax is more relaxed. He will roll around on the floor while Zeplyn walks right past him. But he still has to show her who's boss by growling sometimes. Goofy cat.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yay! Congratulations Zeplyn - you have landed yourself the best kind of home - a Pet Talk home!

She's adorable!
    I've Been Frosted

Congrats on the new addition! You can definitely see the pit in her with her face, what a cutie! I am sure she will make herself right at home.

RIP Sally

Hello, Zeplyn and hello, Taggart, Jax and Paizly! Miss Zeplyn - welcome to your new for ever home!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Congratulations on the newest addition. Of course Zoee can never be replaced, but this new family member can help to fill that empty space in all of the hearts in your household - 2 and 4-legged creatures alike.

Welcome Zeplyn - you will soon learn that you've landed in one of the best homes possible. And tell your Mom - lots of pictures are always welcome here!! Oh - she already knows - right?????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    What a cute colorful girl you are Zeplyn. Congratulations Taz Zoee & Taggart. Zeplyn looks like she may have some Australian Cattle Dog in her? Wait till she heals up from her surgery, watch out Taggart the race will be on.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Welcome to Pet Talk Zeplyn!!! What beautiful colors you are! You've ended up in a great home!
    I know you and Taggart will end up best buddies!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thank you!!

She is settling in well. She is still very curious about the cats and we are a bit uneasy at how she stops and stares at them. So we are very careful with her around them.
    I just can't wait until she gets her stitches out and doesn't have to wear the "cone of shame" anymore.

She is definitely a Velcro dog, which is apparently normal for the breed. And that's fine with me because Zoee was also my shadow.

Hopefully I can get some more pictures of her this weekend.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh I love blue merle coats, and Cattle Dogs are known for this. Zeplyn looks like a very pretty girl.

I did not see, did you mention how old she is?

If you are not familiar with the cattle dog, I highly recommend you do some online research and reading. There was a young woman with a cattle dog (not a mix, like Zeplyn) in Willy's Agility class. That dog made the Energizer Bunny look like a slacker! With the dog as 2 years old, the woman would get on her bike and take the dog for a 5 mile run THEN bring her to Agility class. Even then, the dog was ready to zoom about the room a few times before class started. Owner told us she was losing weight, getting in shape, sleeping well, but the dog STILL was not tired. She had the dog in all the obediences classes as well.

They are a working breed, and definitely need a job, or will develop behavior issues. They are easy to train because they love to please their human. You will have to see how her personality is, all cattle, or tempered by the pit mix. Her coat looks all cattle; her head, as you' ve said, you can see some pittie.

We expect lots and lots of photos of the family!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh I love blue merle coats, and Cattle Dogs are known for this. Zeplyn looks like a very pretty girl.

I did not see, did you mention how old she is?

If you are not familiar with the cattle dog, I highly recommend you do some online research and reading.
    Remember, she has dealt with herding breeds for years! Zooee was fluffy, but all herding breed anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, Karen, but as I am constantly reminded about myself: I am older now!

Yes Sandie, we know the breed. And we do have a large back yard for her to run as much as she wants. And my friend works at a great dog training place called Zoom Room where we can try different activities like agility and herding.
    She is super smart. She already knows her name and usually comes when we call her. That's great for only about 3 days.
    I do feel she has some relaxed quality of pit or whatever else she is mixed with.

We are working on her getting use to the cats. She makes us nervous when she stands so still and moves very slowly, like herding breeds do. But she is easily distracted and sometimes even distracts herself. This morning Jax rubbed his head on the toy Zeplyn was holding in her mouth. Progress......slowly.
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 10-18-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Oh forgot to answer the question of her age. The paperwork said 9 months old. I am waiting until the 25th when she goes to our regular vet for stitch removal to see what age they put her at. But I think it is safe to say under a year.

Congratulations on the new addition! She is a pretty girl!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Hello pretty girl, and welcome home! Be nice to those kitties, they're friends!!