Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superstitious Thursday #607

Superstitious Thursday #607

Hey, this Thursday is my area code. LOL

We all have stupid little quirks we deal with, figured we could have a Thursdays dedicated to them. It was going to be last Thursday, but my luck on Columbus Day held and the barkeep got the thread going before I could post.

Soooo, without further ado,

I refuse to do anything or go anywhere on Columbus Day other than work after almost being killed on three consecutive Columbus days. (twice by car, once by other means) I figure someone was trying to tell me something, and have decided to listen.

So, grab a Spider Cider and 'fess up!

Spider Cider:

2 ounces Wild Apple Vodka
    2 ounces sour apple schnapps
    1/4c cranberry juice
    1/4 c apple juice
    mix and pour over ice cubes with gummy spiders frozen in them.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I'll have to ponder that one, none spring to mind immediately .... fun sounding drink!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not really superstitious - tho I won't walk under a ladder or pick a coin up off the ground if it is tails up. Can't think of anything else. Friday the 13th doesn't bother me, nor does just the number 13. Some people let their superstitions rule their lives way too much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My Polish grandma used to tell me that I'd lose all my money because I would put my purse down on the floor when I visited them. I still plop it on the floor, haven't lost everything... yet.

I guess I'm a bit superstitious. I always pick up a "found" coin for good luck, I hope that good luck will come my way if a black cat crosses my path. I wish on stars, I try to eat fish on New Year's Eve (that's from my Ukrainian grandpa- you eat fish, ideally herring, on New Year's Eve to bring success into the coming year).

As a nurse I truly believe that things go differently when there is a full moon. When I worked ortho/rehab we used to give patients more pain meds on full moon nights, and I'm not sure why. If a full moon fell on a "spring forward, fall back" Saturday night, I would let someone else work it. Bad things (code blue events, your favorite DNR patient passes away) happen in groups of three, I can't explain why. And you never ever speak the word "quiet" aloud at work, or the rest of your shift will be anything but.

Barkeep, I'll drink cranberry-apple juice with you. Please hold the vodka and schnapps from mine, though.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 10-17-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

What about the gummy spiders in the ice cubes?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The responses so far reminded me, as a kid, I would always pick up any pennies I saw. It wasn't until I was at MassArt that I bent to pick up a penny and a friend shrieked, "No!!!!" so I stopped and looked at her, and said, "What the heck?"
    "Only pick up pennies if they are face side up, otherwise it's bad luck, not good!"
    As a perpetually broke student, I said, "Pennies are pennies - and it's already in my pocket, so neither side up!"

That was the first I heard of that one, but she is Italian, with a lot of superstitions passed along from her immigrant grandmother!

One my grandmother's cousin told me once made no sense to me whatsoever, at a holiday gathering, I was nibbling nuts from the nut dish that was set out for that purpose. She looked at me quite seriously, and said, "If you keep eating nuts, your nose will turn up!" which I thought would be interesting, not alarming, and pretty darned unlikely!
    I've Been Frosted

LOL Karen. I'm Italian (or half anyway), and I never heard of the heads/tails up superstition as bring an "Italian thing". I always thought that was a pretty generic quirk that was shared by most everyone.

I also don't buy into 7 years of bad luck if you break a mirror. I've lost count of how may I broke over the years. And the full moon definitely has an effect on people, and that's not just a superstition. In dealing with the public when I was still working, the rude and obnoxious and ignorant individuals were always even worse than normal during a full moon. My ex was a cop, and crime and the like was always up during a full moon, and the loonies were super mega looney. And when I worked in a hospital MANY years ago, the mental ward was somewhere I hoped I would not be called to during this moon phase. Births are always also up.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

If breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck you'd get roughly 49 years of bad luck for a car accident:

3 rear view mirrors

reflectors in the headlights (2, 4 on some cars)

Reflectors in the tail lights (2,4,6, even up to 8 on some)

That 'splains a lot..

Dear weather forecasters:

We are NOT amused.

The "S" word can stay on the shelf for at least another month or so.

I complain about the snow, but it did give me an excuse to get the fireplace going.

Blueberry slump, a glass of wine, and a roaring fire?

DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I complain about the snow, but it did give me an excuse to get the fireplace going.

Blueberry slump, a glass of wine, and a roaring fire?

DONE!
    No snow here, but we had our first frost last night. Lovin' this chilly weather - I'm not a fan of hot and humid, tho this past summer wasn't as bad as usual.

And I really shouldn't even read anything on here before I'm completely awake. At first glace,, my lame brain read your "blueberry slump", as "blueberry shrimp". YUK!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Blueberry shrimp? BLEAH!

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see it somewhere, it just sounds disgusting!

Chicken soup at the bar for them that want some, I'm going to go sit down with a glass of wine.

Blueberry Slump, please, yes! I am still on an annoyingly limited diet until Friday, so just about anything sounds good now!
    I've Been Frosted

With or without whipped cream, and with or without a bowl?

We can do airborne delivery....

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    With or without whipped cream, and with or without a bowl?

We can do airborne delivery....
    With whipped cream, I've got a bowl!
    I've Been Frosted