Thread: Car Seat Cover

Car Seat Cover

I am looking for the best car seat cover for my rear seat for travel.

Ideally I would have an SUV or hatchback to fit a crate, but that is not feasible. I have a sedan and the back seat is my only option for transporting, so I am looking for the best seat cover.

With one full-aussie and one aussie-mix, they have a LOT of hair. Currently I just have a blanket tucked in on the sides, under the headrests, and top of the seat. This works ok... but it falls down a lot and is not waterproof (rarely do I have to deal with car sickness, but occasionally we do take them places where they'll get muddy or wet).

I would like to spend $20 or less... and ideally it would be a fabric so that hair would stick to it and not fly around my car when I open windows.

Also... do you prefer the hammock-style covers or just the seat cover? I do not have a problem with them trying to jump into the front seats; they stay in the back very well.

Not sure if it matters but I drive a 2012 mazda3 sedan.

Thank you

facebook

I got the hammock style cover several years ago at Target. It was just on a random shelf and it was about $20. I have not seen them there since and I got one online that I ended up giving to my niece because I didn't like it as well. It was two pieces that velcroed together. The one I have is one piece and it began to rip around the headrest area. My mom used some jean material and fixed it for me.
    Well, I guess this story is useless to you.
    Anyway, I have a sheet over the backseat under the hammock cover too. I also had an Aussie and have an Aussie mix. So I know what you mean about the hair.
    Bottom line......I prefer the hammock style. It prevents them from falling to the floor.

I will see if there is a tag on mine with a brand name.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm not much help but type in Pet Hammock at Amazon and see what shows. I'd give a URL but I'm signed in. good Luck.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I have the Outward Hound hammock style. Here is a link:
    http://www.chewy.com/dog/kyjen-outwa...Fa1m7AoddGsArQ

In fact, I just bought a new one; my first one was 6 years old and the fabric was getting thin.

The hammock style is not 'just' to prevent the dogs getting in to the front seat. It also protects them if you are in an accident, as they can't fall off the seat onto the floor. I also use the harnesses, with the strap which clicks in to the seat belt. This prevents them jumping out the window after a squirrel, another dog, etc., so I can open the windows if I want to. I do have to use the child lock, because Willy knows how to open the windows.

The velcro strip which Cindi / Taz Zoe mentioned is what allows for the strap to pass through from the seat belt base (which is below the hammock seatcover) up to the top so you can clip it to the dog's harness. There is also a second celcro strip which goes the entire length; this is so you can easily accomodate a passenger in the back seat without undoing the entire hammock.

I've had to brake sharply once or twice, and the hammock saves the dogs from flying off the seat. I was rear ended but thank goodness the dogs were not with me that trip; the harness would prevent them from flying either off the seat, into the back of the front seat, or (in a high impact situation, not the bump I took) flying forward to the windshield.

Riley did jump out after a squirrel once. My bad, she was not hooked in as I was only going a short way. Lucky for both of us, I was stopped at a red light. I quickly put the car in park, raise the windows (to prevent any more jumpers!), got out and grabbed her. We were both back in the car by the time the light turned green. Naturally, not one but TWO of my neighbors were in the cars behind us, lol. You just can't imagine the ribbing I take, even now over a year later!

So, while you are asking about a seat cover to protect your car seat, you should also be considering safety issues. The hammock style really works well in combination with the seatbelt harnesses.

Oh another thing; especially as you mentioned pet hair -- not something I deal with, but I do deal with muddy feet! As Willy has hip dysplasia and severe arthritis in both back hips and knees, he can no longer jump from the ground to the seat. Instead he goes from the ground to the car floor and then up onto the seat -- which puts him below the hammock. I have to guide him up on top of it, lol. Anyway, you can put something like this on to protect the seat from muddy feet: http://www.chewy.com/dog/kurgo-bench...-grey/dp/56754

Do let us know what you decide to get and why! It's always interesting to learn folks' reasons, as it could be something I hadn't considered!

I've been searching amazon, but there are a TON of hammocks... some are obviously not good picks (low rating/reviews) but others are 50/50. I mean, most of them are sub-$20 so I just need to stop being cheap and get over it and just buy one. Was asking in hopes that someone has personal experience or recommendation for a brand so I would feel more confident in my decision

Freedom, fantastic considerations in addition to just the cover. I've already taken precautions in terms of car safety in lieu of using a crate (harnesses, etc) but that is great information for other pet owners! Some things you just take for granted that everyone knows.

facebook

Well, you asked for a recommendation, I love the Outward Hound, that is why I just purchased my SECOND one.

I know I wrote a LOT, maybe you missed that, lol.

I finally went and looked for a tag on my cover. All it says is distributed by Target.
    So I went to Target online and the only one that is close to mine is this one.

Mine does not have the nice pockets like this one and mine has straps on the sides with magnets to help hold it in place better. Oh and mine is more bucket shaped, it comes up on the ends by the doors.

Sorry I'm not much help.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Well, you asked for a recommendation, I love the Outward Hound, that is why I just purchased my SECOND one.

I know I wrote a LOT, maybe you missed that, lol.
    I was replying to mrspunkysmom, sorry for the confusion.

Taz_Zoee, thank you for checking!

facebook