Thread: Yellow Jackets like Pink Socks?

Yellow Jackets like Pink Socks?

Having never been sting by a bee or a wasp ever in my life, I have now been stung twice in the past week, despite steering clear of their nest. I just occurred to ne both time I was wearing my favorite hot pink socks! I am pretty sure bees see color in some fashion ... no fair!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Having never been sting by a bee or a wasp ever in my life, I have now been stung twice in the past week, despite steering clear of their nest. I just occurred to ne both time I was wearing my favorite hot pink socks! I am pretty sure bees see color in some fashion ... no fair!
    Ouch! That's no fun.

Apparently you are not steering clear ENOUGH for them, lol. Also, I believe they are attracted to bright colors, so the socks could well play a factor in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Ouch! That's no fun. Apparently you are not steering clear ENOUGH for them, lol. Also, I believe they are attracted to bright colors, so the socks could well play a factor in this.
    It's a small space - they live in a column about 4 feet from my sliding glass doors. It's MY portent - I moved here before they did!
    I've Been Frosted

My poor foot it still itching and also swollen from the yellow jacket bite 2 days ago. Methinks I will never wear my pink socks going out that door until heavy freeze sets in. I have absurdly sensitive skin, I know this ....
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, ouch! We are sending our good wishes and healing energies that this is all better very soon!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yellow jackets are brutal. Some years ago, we were doing some cleanup around the yard before winter set in, and I unknowingly disturbed a nest in some landscaping timbers. I had dozens of those suckers actually chase me, and was stung numerous times on my leg (I had shorts on). The next morning it was off to the doctor for a shot, since my leg was horribly swollen. I learned my lesson about walking barefoot in the grass too, since previous to that incident, I got stung by stepping on one - all too often. And I now watch the railing on the porch before I put my hand on it, after a wasp got me when I plunked my hand down on the railing that he was occupying!.

Feel better, Karen. I know that itching lasts a long time. Oh - put some toothpaste on it - that helps calm the itch. Make sure it's something like Crest paste - not a gel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Feel better, Karen. I know that itching lasts a long time. Oh - put some toothpaste on it - that helps calm the itch. Make sure it's something like Crest paste - not a gel.
    Hmm, when it first happened I did apply a paste of baking soda and water, which helped. if the itching starts up again, I'll try that!
    I've Been Frosted