Thread: Patagonian Maras

Blog Entries

Patagonian Mara

I would like to know if any Pet Talkers out there are in the know about having Patagonian Mara's as pets. We met one today and fell in love but we are not exactly sure what we are in for and certainly want to give this darling the best life and TLC. If anyone has any experience or knowledge it would be very much appreciated, thank-you!

I did not know they were ever kept as pets! They are "near threatened" in the wild, so I would make sure if you get one it is a result of captive breeding, not one caught in the wild! I wonder how much room they need and how much exercise!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Thanks Karen. I was thinking the same thing. The person I talked to about mara seemed to know f-all. Low maintenance, they eat pellets, she figures they be solitary, might get along with cats or dogs, rodent, compared mara to a guinea pig??? Someone needs to save her and they shouldn't be sold

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Thanks Karen. I was thinking the same thing. The person I talked to about mara seemed to know f-all. Low maintenance, they eat pellets, she figures they be solitary, might get along with cats or dogs, rodent, compared mara to a guinea pig??? Someone needs to save her and they shouldn't be sold
    Is she even legal to have in your country? Poor girl, they are NOT solitary animals in the wild, and form monogamous relationship, and den communally!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I want him/her SO bad. You should see the wee soulful eyes on this darling. So they traffic them, breed them and sell them for $600.00 a pop. Not something to encourage 4 sure. Goodness sakers, sure is not her fault and he/she needs a soft place to land and a good 4 ever home. I'm torn and confused...

Blog Entries
    Ya, just read what you said that they are not solitary animals. I would imagine I should phone animal authorities and I'm not sure that will do more harm than good? spooky

Blog Entries
    They are importing illegal, exotic animals for$. I'm not sure what to do. Obviously what's best for the animals in the short term. BUT, in the long term... not sure which strings to pull that would be in everyones best interest. Oh maaaaaan ?

They are importing illegal, exotic animals for$. I'm not sure what to do. Obviously what's best for the animals in the short term. BUT, in the long term... not sure which strings to pull that would be in everyones best interest. Oh maaaaaan ?
    Definitely report them to the authorities. Explain you are concerned about the animals, and want what is best for them. If nothing else, maybe they will be arrested, and the dear little mara can go to a zoo with others of her kind!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries

Patagonian Maras

I did a little research on Patagonian Maras. They are bred in the U.S. and imported to Canada and are not restricted anywhere in Canada with the exception of Alberta for some reason. I think we'll just stick to beautiful cats. They are natives of Argentina only.

I did a little research on Patagonian Maras. They are bred in the U.S. and imported to Canada and are not restricted anywhere in Canada with the exception of Alberta for some reason. I think we'll just stick to beautiful cats. They are natives of Argentina only.
    Okay, that is strange. But at least they were captive bred!
    I've Been Frosted