Thread: Garden Excess?

Garden Excess?

I had to laugh this afternoon.

I went down cellar to check on the onions the kids were supposed to pick, wash, and lay out to dry.

We planted roughly 600 onion sets in the spring.

Sitting on the tarp in the basement were about 10-15 pounds of onions.

I started to get irritated, figuring they had shammed out of finishing the job. When I went out to check the garden, however, I had to laugh. They had, indeed, picked all but a few of the onions. Where did the rest go?

Well, when you've canned 80 or so quarts of stewed tomatoes, 28 pints of salsa, 30 pints of chutney, and numerous pints of pickles, you kinda go through a few onions.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

So, LH- will you plant more onion sets next spring, since you ended up using a lot of them with stewed tomatoes, salsa and other home-made yummy things?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    So, LH- will you plant more onion sets next spring, since you ended up using a lot of them with stewed tomatoes, salsa and other home-made yummy things?
    Yeppers.....looks like 600 sets weren't enough.

I hate to think I have to BUY onions this year. LOL
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Hee hee - amazing, isn't it? Keep going, and you'll end up with a Bummy-sized garden!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I had to laugh this afternoon.

I went down cellar to check on the onions the kids were supposed to pick, wash, and lay out to dry.

We planted roughly 600 onion sets in the spring.

Sitting on the tarp in the basement were about 10-15 pounds of onions.

I started to get irritated, figuring they had shammed out of finishing the job. When I went out to check the garden, however, I had to laugh. They had, indeed, picked all but a few of the onions. Where did the rest go?
    The only problem I have with our onions is the anger. If I had to rate them on a scale of 1 to10, weakest being 1, and 10 being strongest, I would have to say 25, and explain my answer with "You go try to chop those onions without having to stop after five seconds."

Quote Originally Posted by Angel's Human View Post
    The only problem I have with our onions is the anger. If I had to rate them on a scale of 1 to10, weakest being 1, and 10 being strongest, I would have to say 25, and explain my answer with "You go try to chop those onions without having to stop after five seconds."
    Yeah - Your Aunt Jody would be sneezing the whole time - I'd alternate between sneezing and having tears in my eyes, which is an odd combination! Putting them in the fridge before hand seems to help though!
    I've Been Frosted

The fridge doesn't really help these, if anything time spent refrigerated seems to make them angrier. We even planted sweet onions this year in addition to the usual yellow onions, didn't help. They were all angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The fridge doesn't really help these, if anything time spent refrigerated seems to make them angrier. We even planted sweet onions this year in addition to the usual yellow onions, didn't help. They were all angry.
    Hmm, cranky dirt = angrier onions? We had a really dry summer here, maybe you did too?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmm, cranky dirt = angrier onions? We had a really dry summer here, maybe you did too?
    It's the composition of the soil, not the moisture. The angry onions are an annual issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel's Human View Post
    Anger management for onions?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678