Thread: RI Walk to End Alzheimer's, 2014

RI Walk to End Alzheimer's, 2014

For the second year in a row, the dogs and I walked in this event. Here are some photos.

The place Dad is living at was sold and is now part of Athena. So we had a large team, as they own 5 facilities in Rhode Island. Our Team shirts were red, and I was thrilled as they matched my fluffs' outfits.
    Team Athena

Front of shirt

Back of shirt. Dad is at Orchard View Manor.

The day before the walk I spent bathing and grooming the fluffs, so they were clear, white and fluffy. Then we got dressed and went to visit Dad the night before the walk.
    Here are 3 of the fluffs at home. Front to back: Tasha, Willy, Belle.

Riley

Tasha, being camera shy.

Belle

Belle (left) and Tasha getting some water.

Then we were off to see Dad. Willy, Tasha and Riley all love seeing him; Belle really doesn't know him. Tasha gave Dad a kiss on his cheek. Riley was right in his lap. Dad lights up when he sees the fluffs.
    Dad and Riley

More photos coming.

Tasha

Belle

Dad and Riley

Willy enjoying a cuddle

Willy talking to me (that's Tasha, behind him)

Handsome boy

I have no idea what either one is looking at, but it isn't the camera!

Tasha again

Dad and Riley

More photos coming up!

When we left, there were 2 deer in the orchard, enjoying the ripe apples on the trees. As I got this shot, the dogs (who were already in the car) saw what I was looking at - DEER! - and started barking wildly. Both deer darted off.

From the team group shot. Tasha is in my arms. Belle is front left, and Willy. Riley is behind, right.

Someone took a photo of us, for me.

After the walk, and some water for all 5 of us!, I set the fluffs up on an empty table and asked someone to take photos for me. From left: Willy, Belle, Riley and Tasha.

And 2 pics of the Promise Garden.

That's all!

Aww, it must be so nice to see your Dad's face light up when the fluffs walk in! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I am not surprised everyone needed water at the end. It was so unexpectedly hot here today, two of the mourning doves ended up taking baths to cool off in the water dish I have out for the wildlife - one hopped in to scare off a sparrow, "Sheesh - there's enough water for both of you," I thought, but then stayed in for a while, fluffing out feathers and having a nice bath!
    I've Been Frosted

Love the pictures-thanks for sharing them Freedom. Your dad really does seem to be on cloud nine with the fluffs, Willy seems to have that 6th sense for your dad, the look in his eyes are pure joy. How very kind of the staff to let you take the fluffs in the home, our homes mostly don't allow that. And the one home that does allow it will allow one dog only--
    Love the red shirts for the walk---
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I love how they will let you bring in the fluffs to see your dad. He so enjoys them!
    Great photos!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Your father's face just lights up when The Fluffs pay him a visit

You had a great day for the walk - blue sky and sun. Thanks so much for sharing with us

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    I love how they will let you bring in the fluffs to see your dad. He so enjoys them!
    Great photos!
    I do, too! I bet the fluffs make many people smile when you take them for a visit! They make ME smile when I see the photos!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Looks like a fun day and for such a good cause! Your dad sure looks happy!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, it must be so nice to see your Dad's face light up when the fluffs walk in! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I am not surprised everyone needed water at the end. It was so unexpectedly hot here today, two of the mourning doves ended up taking baths to cool off in the water dish I have out for the wildlife - one hopped in to scare off a sparrow, "Sheesh - there's enough water for both of you," I thought, but then stayed in for a while, fluffing out feathers and having a nice bath!
    Today's newspaper, we broke a 71 year record for high temp yesterday! That is so neat, I can picture the dove enjoying a bath, how wonderful!

Thanks everyone for enjoying my photos with me. We did have a nice time, were quite tuckered for most of the day afterwards.

Loved seeing all the pictures. The fluffs look so cute in their outfits.
    How far was the walk? I'm so glad you all had such good weather for the event. Thanks for sharing
    some of the day with us.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Beautiful photos, Sandy, you, your Dad, & the pups were all lookin' good! That's a great cause to walk for!
    ~Pat, Jack, & Moo

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    How far was the walk? I'm so glad you all had such good weather for the event. Thanks for sharing
    some of the day with us.
    The entire route was almost 3 miles. We did almost 2 miles, taking a short cut back to the gathering area, for shade and water. We'd been at the gathering area for almost an hour before the walk started, so the fluffs had lots of folks oohing and aahing over them, petting them, and so on. So, they had a lot of excitement!

Thanks for stopping by, Pat!