Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use?

What do you use?

In another topic, we were talking about picking up poop. I was wondering what tools and method others use to do this task. I like to use a plain old garden trowel and a plastic bag that the newspaper came in. I used to bend at the knees to get down there but now that the knees aren't what they used to be I bend at the waist.

There is a product out now that is really handy, I can't remember the name of it.
    If comes in a little container and clips on to your leash and little bags can be pulled out of the container like kleenex from a kleenex box. There is like 12 or so in a container. They are not very much about $8.oo canadian. Who ever came up with the idea is a genious :0)

Rachel....I like to think as I am bending at the waist that I am doing some form of exercise similar to touching my toes. Somehow that thought adds a little joy to the whole process and I fool myself into thinking it is firming up the tummy. I also use a garden trowel and a plastic bag from the supermarket that the groceries came in. I also use the plastic bags for my kittie's contributions to their litter boxes. Gotta bend down with the knees for that activity! Here a poop, there a poop, everywhere a poop poop!!

Pam, I will not be able to get that tune out of head tonight for sure! How does a garden trowel work? I have never tried that. I mostly use the poopie scooper/plastic bag folded over in a pop 12 pk. box. It also helps to spray the scooper with wd-40 oil or such to make clean up easier (cleaning of the end of scooper).

I have to say I use my Husband to pick up the poop. Ha! But I believe he uses a pooper scooper and he has a trash barrel and lines it with a plastic bag, empties the pooper scooper into that, at the end of the week he seals the bag and puts it into the big trash can for pick up.

jackiesdaisy, Yes, I would like to get that same type of poop picker-upper. You are very lucky to have one! The one I have complains of nausa at the sight of it! It is a good excuse anyway.

posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
    have to say I use my Husband to pick up the poop. >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

LOLOL! I wish I could say that,
    but I'm the pooper clean up person
    in our household. I never was able to
    train my husband properly.
    I use those little tiny blue bags that
    you put your hand through it. Their
    so small and fit neatly in my pocketfor our walks.
    At home I use the doggie scooper
    which is a shovel an a little rake.

I also use my husband a the poop scooper. His method is putting a plastic lunch baggie on his hand and then putting the poop in a plastic store bag.

------------------
    It's not much of a tail but I love it.

Hey, those husbands make great pooper scoopers! My husband also picks up the poop in the yard using a garden shovel and garbage bag but when we go for walks with Sadie we have one of those neat containers on the leash that "ilovehounds" was talking about. I have to say that it makes me crazy when people are not responsible dog owners and don't clean up after there dog.

I have a spring loaded scooper that I ordered from a guy in Indiana. It's aluminum and I don't have to bend down. With a plastic bag liner in a wastebasket, I can get the whole yard done in 15 minutes. With 4 dogs, that's pretty good.
    On walks, I just take a sandwich bag. We usually don't need it.

Has anyone heard of or used the digester systems?? They're in ground units that you dump poopie in and it "digests" the poopie into a liquid that is supposed to be "harmlessly absorbed into the soil". Sounds like a neat idea. We always used a garden spade, which would get a little nasty when we picked up "fresh" poopies. The WD-40 is a great idea!

Check out the digesters at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc....cfm?pCatId=72

I have heard of those systems. I think thaat I am going to get one.

Digester Systems ~

Check with your local health or sewer agency - they just might consider the digester as a septic system have unpleasant rules to follow or permits to buy .

And someone on one of the pet BBS (maybe About.com) said they tried one and it not only *stunk* but also didn't *digest* very well. Soil type is critical to how well a system can work - ask the dealer if the type of soil in your yard is suitable.

/s/ Cinder's Dad

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

Cinder's dad is just SO clever! They certainly don't tell you that stuff in the catalogs! Where else on earth can we talk about pet poop and get away with it? LOL If one of us were sick and mentioned it, that would be WAY too much info! I just LOVE you guys! I can actually admit I examine it too! On walks, I use the newspapers bag with a paper towel for easy scooping. When I clean the yard, I use an garden shovel and brown lunch bags and double wrap in a plastic bag and trash bag. I love those small disposal bags, but let's just say that Cody's "outgrown" them!

I had one of those digester things about 20 some years ago. My experience at that time was also that it didn't digest very well and it gets pretty gross in there.

We have a covered plastic container that we keep outside and into which I deposit the plastic bags. On garbage pickup days, the plastic bags get tossed in the garbage can.