Thread: Something weird is going on!

Something weird is going on!

I checked my caller ID a bit ago and it had the strangest call showing. Strange because it had my name and number on it like I called myself. Only thing is, I can't call myself from this phone because I'd get a busy signal. If I call from my cell it shows the cell number. Same thing for any other incoming call.

If someone had stolen my name and number how could it ring in here as the same number?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Join the party - this has happened to us and a friend of ours. I called AT&T about it. Apparently there is nothing they can do.

My guess is that a spammer has "spoofed" your number. Sad thing is, it's probably not just you they are calling. People are likely to answer a call with a name showing, even if they may not know the person.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I can see how they could put my name on the call. It's exactly the way it is in the phone book. How on earth they got my number to show on my caller ID is still a puzzle to me. I thought the caller ID just picked the number up from the phone calling in.

It does make me feel better that I am not alone in this though.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I no longer have a land line - just my cell. If I don't recognize the number, then I don't answer and let it kick over to voice mail. If there's nothing on the voice mail then it must not be a legit call,, and then I just block that # for any future calls.

I got a real funky email this a.m. and the sender was someone I know - yet it wasn't them at all. It landed in my spam folder and some of it was in French, so I knew it was not from her. I alerted a common friend of ours since I lost her "real" email, and asked her to let C know that her Yahoo account appears to have been hacked.

Why do idiots do this????? Looks like a lot of folks just need to get a life................
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I think we all get this from time to time. Telemarketers know that something will appear in the "caller id" so they "spoof" it to appear as the person they are actually calling so that maybe someone will answer.

As for emails purporting to be from someone you know, but when you open it, they are not - that is also a common scheme for spammers.

And sadly, these people do "have a life," - they are being paid to do this, it is their job. I don't feel "sorry" for them, but I do not applaud them, either. Yes, it is illegal. Yes, it is annoying. But if people make money at it, they will keep doing it!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

And sadly, these people do "have a life," - they are being paid to do this, it is their job. I don't feel "sorry" for them, but I do not applaud them, either. Yes, it is illegal. Yes, it is annoying. But if people make money at it, they will keep doing it!
    Yeah - but if they had an ounce of intelligence and more than just one working brain cell, then they wouldn't need to be doing this. They are merely slaves to the corrupt individuals that hold them hostage, and probably have no desire to better themselves. IMO of course.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Here's a note that appeared in my weekly Scambusters email:

Alert of the Week: We're seeing a huge increase in the incidence of an old favorite scammers' trick -- caller ID spoofing.
    As we explained in an earlier issue, spoofing is used to mislead victims into thinking an incoming phone call is from a legitimate source. Learn more here:

http://www.scambusters.org/callerid.html

Simply don't assume that a caller is who your ID service says it is. If you don't recognize the voice, don't give confidential information or agree to pay anything without independently checking.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Here's a note that appeared in my weekly Scambusters email:
    It just floors me, that people continue to give confidential info over the phone. It's just common sense (IMO) to call back the main office of who the caller claims to be, or request the info in the form of certified mail. When will people learn????????????????????
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

This actually just happened to me about five minutes ago! I was kind of reluctant to answer the call, but the curiosity took over. I answered and I received a machine message saying, "Hi this is Rachel from your credit card holder. We would like to discuss some recent activity in your account." Automatically hung up. Not gonna fall for that one

RIP Sally

Known scam (Rachel). I just got an email from Chase that I'll be getting a new debit card due to the Home Depot hack. I copied it into my secure Chase mailbox to ask them if it was legit. Can't be too careful these days.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by sallyandsnowx View Post
    This actually just happened to me about five minutes ago! I was kind of reluctant to answer the call, but the curiosity took over. I answered and I received a machine message saying, "Hi this is Rachel from your credit card holder. We would like to discuss some recent activity in your account." Automatically hung up. Not gonna fall for that one
    Smart move! When I still had my land line, I used to get a lot of calls (with a real person on the other end), telling me that they can lower my interest rate on my credit card - I just need to verify the account # with them. I always got rid of them in a hurry, when I would ask them just which card company they were representing. Click - they suddenly hung up on me!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013