Thread: September 11, We will remember

September 11, We will remember

It is hard to fathom it has been 13 years since that fateful Tuesday, which began with clear bright blue skies, and ended in tragedy. We remember today, all those who were lost, all those whose lives were affected by this tragedy, and the aftermath. We honor the children, women and men, the dogs who worked the scene and have since died of cancer, all the brave firefighters and police and the ordinary people whose lives forever changed.
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, we will. It was a beautiful morning and I was getting ready to go out to work with Jodi, a nurse who worked from her home, and her sweet Great Dane, Max. (Karen- Max was the best "leaner" dog!) I remember Katie Couric on the Today show saying they were not quite sure why, but there was an airplane flying low over Manhattan. Then going to her house again the next day... I live under an airplane approach to Midway Airport, and it was so strange to not see or hear the planes regularly coming and going.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It all comes back, every year. And . . . I did not know anyone, personally, who died that day. I can't imagine how this 'anniversary' feels for others.

Many photos and video tributes appear each year, on this day. Driving around today, flags were at half mast.

I'm sure I've posted this before. If you haven't already, I suggest reading On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, & 9/11: A Story of Loss & Renewal. Very well written; brings it all back.

I remember planes landing in Gander, Newfoundland when they couldn't land in the U.S. Those folks landed among the most down-to-earth, warm and big-hearted people in Canada, our Newfies.

It was beyond belief. Just...beyond anything.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We were in school, and then on lockdown. We had a TV in the classroom. I did let the kids call their parents. Our principal was in the capitol on a conference, and he came back.

I was so depressed for the next three or so weeks. I had to stop watching. I felt like we were at war, or were going to be soon.

Rose was so sick. She went to the Bridge (PTS) on the 24th, and I rescued Spunky on the 29th.

It was a strange month.

I felt sorry for all of those in the towers and the 1st responders. I remember watching on TV, and the towers fell. Responders were some of the fallen. I remember wondering what happened to flight 93, hoping it survived. I've never been able to watch that movie.

http://www.nps.gov/flni/index.htm
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I remember this as if it was yesterday. I was at work, I got an email from a friend, telling me what had happened. At the same time, all of my co-workers have been informed by family or friends as well. We gathered around my computer, trying to log into some news pages but they were all down, too much traffic. My boss set up a tv in our social room for us to watch the news, but since my work day was already over (it was late afternoon in Germany), I decided to go home. On my long way home, I was listening to the radio in the car, heard the crashing of the second tower, heard about more hijacked planes and about war ... it was the most surreal car ride I ever experienced, nothing felt real. Came home, turned on the tv, saw the horror over and over again, tried calling an American friend, but she wasn't at home. For the rest of the day, my eyes were glued to the tv screen, and it felt as if the world as we knew it had fallen apart. I remember what a great comfort it was having Luna around. Yes, it was good that she was with me that night.
    Last edited by Kirsten; 09-13-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I remember so many things from that day - way too many, really. I believe anyone who watched the events unfolding in front of them (t.v. or in person), have those images burned into their brain, heart, and soul for eternity. Too horrible to remember, yet impossible to erase or forget.

Both Discovery and History channels ran various documentaries thru last night. Most I had seen before, yet some were new to me. I really didn't intend on watching any of these yet again, but at the same time, I felt it would be disrespectful to those who perished, and to all of the survivors, and all of the families, friends, and loved ones left behind, if I just turned it off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

There was a heartwarming story about the last surviving rescue dog, a Golden Retriever named Bretange. She's now 15, there were a lot of shots with her comforting the firefighters.

Also the lady who donated her shoes to the museum...little slices of life and healing.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I was cleaning the litterboxes when my hobby phoned me; he told me to put on our tv.... . I then saw that second planehitting the second tower; and minutes later I saw both towers collapse.....
    It was horribel.....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I don' think any of us will ever forget where we were and how we got the news of the attack. I will never forget how I felt that day.

We should never forget!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla