Thread: Overkill? Who, ME?

Overkill? Who, ME?

Okay, I might have gone a little overkill on the 'mater plants this year.

So far we have 35 quarts canned.

Our dining room table (which is about 8' long) is covered with ripening tomatoes and already canned/pickled veg. I already have a refrigerator drawer and a large bowl full of ripe tomatoes waiting to be canned.

I'm making salsa this morning.

I just went out to pick a peck (roughly 2 gallons) of green tomatoes for picalilli (sweet green tomato/onion relish), and didn't even dent the tomatoes still on the vine in the garden.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I'm jealous, mine all got eaten by caterpillars!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'd be jealous, but I am just happy I managed to find a spot to actually get some basil seeds to sprout!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    You could always build a little produce stand - set it up by the road and have the kids staff it - for a piece of the profits of course. You could offer the raw veggies, and even some of what has been processed into "whatever".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

With the amount of attempted child abductions around this neck of the woods lately, (2 actually abducted while staffing a small produce stand) that's a non-starter. Besides, most produce stands around here operate on the honor system.

It is, however, a possibility for next year.

The amount of produce just means we'll eat well this winter, without having to buy veg at the grocery store.

It also means someone has to get his tuckus in gear making shelves for canned stuff.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It also means someone has to get his tuckus in gear making shelves for canned stuff.
    Perhaps shelf-building is something Angel's Human could help with? Building skill is always good to pass on!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Hmmm, just the thought of fresh tomatoes (I live in Alaska, afterall) is making my stomach growl.

Suggestions: Open an ETSY shop and sell them online. (I get a couple of jars of blackberry preserves and jalapeno's every year from ETSY shops).
    Local foodbank? Our's is always looking for those extra canned goods that you don't need.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The church food bank is already getting roughly 20 quarts of frozen beans, there will be more going to them, don't know what, though.

I'm probably going to just take a box or two of tomatoes up to work and let anyone who wants 'em take them.

Well good for you! A lot of work, but you know exactly what's in those cans and jars.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Well good for you! A lot of work, but you know exactly what's in those cans and jars.
    Which is the main reason we do it, the second reason being that it's cheaper to grow and can it ourselves than buy it in the store.

We do go to the you-pick orchards for fruit until our trees produce reliably, but everything else is grown here.

Okay, I might have gone a little overkill on the 'mater plants this year.

So far we have 35 quarts canned.

Our dining room table (which is about 8' long) is covered with ripening tomatoes and already canned/pickled veg. I already have a refrigerator drawer and a large bowl full of ripe tomatoes waiting to be canned.

I'm making salsa this morning.

I just went out to pick a peck (roughly 2 gallons) of green tomatoes for picalilli (sweet green tomato/onion relish), and didn't even dent the tomatoes still on the vine in the garden.
    Wowie wow! That sounds amazing!

I was just reading in the newspaper about home-grown vegetables. One of the towns I go through on my way to work has a community garden where you can "grow a row" or a portion of a row to give away to families in need.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Perhaps shelf-building is something Angel's Human could help with? Building skill is always good to pass on!
    The kids follow me into the workshop routinely.

They're both getting to be pretty handy. I'm about to turn Angel's Human loose on changing the oil in the car.

The kids follow me into the workshop routinely.

They're both getting to be pretty handy. I'm about to turn Angel's Human loose on changing the oil in the car.
    Okay, good!
    I've Been Frosted