Thread: That was some storm!

That was some storm!

We had a severe thunder storm come through Methuen about 5:15 PM today. The camera was not where it is supposed to be, so I missed the start with the winds taking the trees down to the ground. The thunder went on for well over an hour, started about 10 minutes before the rain did, and it is still rumbling now, more than 2 hours later. Notice the gate is open. (I've since been out and closed it, so the pups are safe.)

http://youtu.be/eNs1d01kLes

Willy normally sits on the recliner between me and the arm of the chair. It's not that the thunder bothers him, that is where he is almost all the time.

Tasha was hyperventilating and clambered up to settle on top of Willy.

We had one bright lightening flash with an immediate BOOM, and Riley was in my lap before that finished. She soon got down again, it was just that really close one that got to her. Even with the a/c on, I was sweating with the 3 of them piled on me! Willy eventually got down as well, he was too hot below Tasha.

Tasha has calmed down, breathing normally, but on high alert and raises her head to glare out the window at every rumble.

Here are post storm photos.
    What caught my attention was the 'glow' coming from the window, so I looked out and saw this:

The sky soon turned a more normal color. I just kept taking pics.

Slowly getting back to normal around here, lol.

What a beautiful rainbow! Hope the storm didn't do any damage. WHere was Belle? under something? We've had tstorms every night this week... 90 day temp and high humidity. We're expecting tstorm later tonight. It's close to 8pm now. Take care.

Willy, Riley and Belle do not notice storms. Riley only jumped up on me for the one directly overhead boom. She wasn't shaking, panting or drooling, I think more she was startled by it. Only Tasha gets over the top worried about thunder storms.

I posted my account in the "how Hot is It" thread - no rainbws here! I love that you can see a fainter second rainbow in the first few photos.

When the storms were here - we had two lightnining strikes that were essentially right behind our apartment - and there's only about 20 feet before the stone wall ends our yard!
    I've Been Frosted

Wish you could share some of that rain! We've had too many days in the 90's.

This morning, I learn that we had a tornado warning up (but no tornado reported), many many trees down, one utility pole snapped just 2 miles from me and so power is STILL out in the area next to mine. That includes the Market Basket grocery store nearest to me, which I use. I have power, it never went out, here.

Smoke stack in Lowell was struck, report and photos here: http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_264...-just-exploded

Beautiful! A double rainbow, too!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Willy, Riley and Belle do not notice storms. Riley only jumped up on me for the one directly overhead boom. She wasn't shaking, panting or drooling, I think more she was startled by it. Only Tasha gets over the top worried about thunder storms.
    How do the kitties handle it? Mine either hide or just lay around. If it's a bad thunderboomer, Spunky will follow me around.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

My cats don't care about storms. This particular one, we were in MA (me and the dogs) while the cats and fish were home in RI. RI really didn't get this storm, just a small bit of rain, no wind etc. So I doubt they even knew about it.

I've read that fish will react to a storm, just haven't been home in a storm to see if mine do or not.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Beautiful rainbow pics, Sandie.

We had a rather "noisy" storm late Saturday night after we had gone to bed. Wolfy doesn't mind them too much unless there is the loud cracking/booming thunder. Well that's what that storm brought. He was terrified. I tried to cuddle him tight - kinda like a thunder shirt - but that was useless - and he wanted to find his own safe spot. Well that spot was half on my head, and half crammed into the bookcase headboard on my bed. He was trembling so much that the whole area was vibrating from him. I just let him be, and just talked to him to try to calm him. Storm lasted a good half hour.

Sparky was scared of storms too, but holding him calmed him right away. Myndi??? - they didn't faze her in the least. She was one tough cookie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sorry to hear Wolfy was so upset. If you don't have a thunder shirt, I've read you can use any small / tight fitting clothing.