Thread: Help

Blog Entries

Help

Hey there! I hate to whine but I'm very upset. Maybe someone has some sage advice. We picked my mother in-law up from the airport at midnight last night. Well, she was angry cuz we were a few minutes late. It was a 45 min. drive so I had to use a gas station restroom on the way home. While I was in there, my husband told her we got married in Vegas. I was wondering why she looked even crankier when I came out of the loo. He gave her lovely photos and was SO excited to tell her. All she said was, Grandma and Grandpa didn't even get to go. They are both long dead. They've been dead for years. She didn't say congrats, kiss my arse nothing. Well, we got to sleep at 2 a.m. She phoned at the crack of 9 a.m. and told Shawn to come and get her immediately. Her blood pressure is through the roof, she needs to go to the DR. pronto, as well as the chiropractor. She also needs to rent a car by noon so she can go shopping ASAP. I decided to stay home and let them have a little alone time . I'm sure they will be here soon as she will probably have to wait 3 hrs. to get an appt. I feel sorry for him, she treats him like poo. I feel bad for myself too. It is so hard for me to be kind to her sometimes because she behaves like such a bitch. SHE"S GONNA BE HERE FOR A MONTH!!! How do I deal with this person? It's contstant drama. If there is a second of peace she'll just make something up. anyone.....I mean it anyone?

Blog Entries
    p.s. We couldn't have loved Grandma and Grandpa more. We just never wanted a wedding, and I'm sure they didn't care. We were very close. sigh

When things are calm for a moment, see if you can have a talk with her. Explain your side, that the wedding was something you never saw coming, really, and you know grandma and grandpa were there in spirit. Not everyone deals with surprise well. Then set some ground rules of what your schedules are and what she can expect while she's there, discuss any day trips, etc., and every time she gets mean and cranky, just think of her in your mind as a cranky three-year-old who needs a nap!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Wow, everything you said makes perfect sense. She always looks over my shoulder when I use the computer too. I'm usually just on Pet Talk and she doesn't really like animals so I'm gonna have to remember that word for word . I think I'll just read it 15 more times right now so I am sure I got it down. Thank- you SO much Karen, bless you!!! Maybe there's a light now

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Wow, everything you said makes perfect sense. She always looks over my shoulder when I use the computer too. I'm usually just on Pet Talk and she doesn't really like animals so I'm gonna have to remember that word for word . I think I'll just read it 15 more times right now so I am sure I got it down. Thank- you SO much Karen, bless you!!! Maybe there's a light now
    You're welcome! Sending you a hug!

I love my mum-in-law, it is funny - the first time we met, she told me she does NOT like surprises, so just buy her slippers for Christmas. Of course slippers are one present I refuse to buy her, but I do keep in mind, always, that she truly does not like surprises. At all. So we are good!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Thanks again. All is well now, son explained quietly, patiently and clearly exactly why we eloped. She gets it. In fact she is now quite happy and touched. We got the Chapel to video the entire wedding and she watched with us. Awww, what a relief, whew We even gave her a copy and now we are makin' her ribs.

Blog Entries
    p.s. she just snuck up on me but closed just in time. Gotta keep on me toes eh. xoxo

Aww, that's good!
    I've Been Frosted

Hugs, my own mother was that type of mother and mother-in-law. Hugs again. It sounds like you have a plan.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)