Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lily going to have bladder surgery on Tuesday (Update: Back home from surgery! #20)

Praying for Lily and you, dear Kirsten.

You have been doing everything you possibly can all along, and you didn't know then what you know now. Please don't torment yourself with "I should have done..."

God bless, and love to you and Lily and Luna.

Pat and all the cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Blog Entries
    Our prayers Kirsten and to Lily: Be well girl, we're all praying you get back to health!

I am so sorry that I missed this Kirsten.
    All of us at the Found Cat Hotel are sending our prayers for Dear Luna, that she will be with you and Lily again soon.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Kirsten, I could have sworn I posted on here yesterday, but I don't see my post anywhere. Oh the joys of growing older. Anyway, I am praying for Lily to make a complete recovery. Let the money issue take care of itself. Once they have done the surgery they can't exactly take it back, can they? I once tried to use the "can I volunteer my time to help pay this?" on my vet and I got a resoundind "NO". So, I have a huge vet bill that I pay on when I have some extra money, which isn't that often. What can they do? So far, as long as some money comes in once every month or two they are satisfied.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Thank you everyone for your advice and support, and for keeping my Lily in your thoughts. Means a lot!

Lily had her surgery this morning. My vet picked her up at my home at 8:15 a.m. (my car broke last week and hasn't been fixed yet) after a rough night (Lily wasn't allowed to eat after 6 p.m. yesterday and was hungry, and Luna was confused about the fact she had been fed separately). I was staying at home with Luna.
    Around 10:15 a.m., my vet called to tell me the surgery was done. The good news (in fact, awesome news as I didn't expect this!) - no tumor in her bladder! The bad news: there was nothing in her bladder that looked as if it could be responsible for her problems, so we still don't know what's bothering her. Last week, I have started a treatment with a pain med called Melosus, and she responded well to it, was more relaxed and - as far as I can tell - hasn't peed outside her litterbox, so it seems her spraying was caused by pain.
    What's strange: We definitely saw something inside her bladder in the ultrasounds she had on Monday and Thursday last week, and it looked like a tumor. My vet said when she had opened her belly today, her bladder looked from outside as if there was something in it, but when she opened it, there was nothing. She took biopsies from the bladder tissue and now we have to wait for the result. Could be that there was some kind of inflammation that has healed in the meantime as a result from the Melosus treatment. The entire thing is a little strange - and makes me feel a little bad 'cause we've put her through that surgery without finding anything. On the other hand, it would have been worse if they'd found a tumor!

I got Lily back this afternoon, and she's miserable and upset. She will spend the night separated from Luna, I've made a "sick room" for her with many blankets and spots to hide. When I enter the room, she'd be hissing and growling at me, that's how miserable she is (and still under the influence of the anaesthesia, judging from the way her eyes look like), but I was able to calm her down, so she came over and gave me some - pretty wobbly - headbumpies. She also ate a little, an hour ago. If she keeps it down, I will offer her some more before I go to bed.

I hope she'll have a good night and will feel much better tomorrow. Oh, and btw, she already peed several times and used the litter box. I was surprised to see this was working so well, after all, her bladder has been opened, I don't even wanna imagine the pain and the discomfort! But it works, even though there's some blood in it (which is pretty normal due to the incision).

I will keep you updated!

I'm just checking in for an update. I am so glad you're home! I hope you will all have a restful night. Sending positive thoughts!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Wonderful news! I saw this on Facebook too.

I wonder if - with the pain meds - that whatever was in her bladder managed to get peed out? If she wasn't in pain the urethra would be more relaxed. Remember she peed very little before you started the pain meds? Maybe the thing had moved and was blocking her - but came out with the meds.

Anyway, I am happy she came through so well, and is eating a bit. Is she on pain meds from her surgery too?

Hugs and cuddles to both girls!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    but I was able to calm her down, so she came over and gave me some - pretty wobbly - headbumpies. She also ate a little, an hour ago. If she keeps it down, I will offer her some more before I go to bed.

I hope she'll have a good night and will feel much better tomorrow. Oh, and btw, she already peed several times and used the litter box. I was surprised to see this was working so well, after all, her bladder has been opened, I don't even wanna imagine the pain and the discomfort! But it works, even though there's some blood in it (which is pretty normal due to the incision).

I will keep you updated!
    Aww, so glad there's no tumor. What great news, and hopefully she keeps feeling better and better, and she and Luna can forgive each other and life can get back to normal!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm just checking in for an update. I am so glad you're home! I hope you will all have a restful night. Sending positive thoughts!
    Thank you, I really hope so. I just went back to her to offer some more food, but she's hiding in a cave of the scratching post (none of the girls never used that one before) and refused to come out, and she was hissing and growling again, she sounded really mad. I'm worried about her!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Wonderful news! I saw this on Facebook too.

I wonder if - with the pain meds - that whatever was in her bladder managed to get peed out? If she wasn't in pain the urethra would be more relaxed. Remember she peed very little before you started the pain meds? Maybe the thing had moved and was blocking her - but came out with the meds.

Anyway, I am happy she came through so well, and is eating a bit. Is she on pain meds from her surgery too?

Hugs and cuddles to both girls!
    Yes, she's still on pain meds.. That thing we saw in her bladder had the size of a thumbnail, so I seriously doubt it has passed her urethra. My vet said sometimes inflammated tissue looks like a tumor in the ultrasound, maybe it was something like that. I guess the biopsy result will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, so glad there's no tumor. What great news, and hopefully she keeps feeling better and better, and she and Luna can forgive each other and life can get back to normal!
    I really hope our life can get back to normal but I'm afraid there will be a lot of aggression between Lily and Luna the next days due to the surgery. Lily is even hissing and growling at me because she feels weak and defenseless, and Lunas presence will make it even worse. Luna, on the other hand, is unusually relaxed without the "Naughty One" around, so she might be frustrated when Lily will be eventually released from "her" room. I hope they can work it out as things where a little better between Luna and Lily over the last couple of days (Luna responded in a positive way to the Feliway plugin and Lily to her Bach flower remedies). But as long as Lily is still feeling weak from the surgery, there'll be aggression - even towards me. :-(

I'm glad for Lily and you that her operation is over. Sure hope she continues to get better. I hope all of you have a restful night.

So glad there is no tumor! And it's good to know she's peeing in the box again.

May your recovery go smoothly and well, Lily dearest, and may life get back to normal for the three of you soon.

Love from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I wonder if she has interstitial cystitis, which is basically inflammation. I've seen several cats with this and they are often prescribed Cosequin, the same stuff for joints. It apparently has anti-inflammatory properties and have seen it work really well. It comes in a capsule that can be sprinkled on food.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Hmmm, interesting, haven't heard about interstitial cystitis before, but maybe it's something like that. Hope the biopsy will shed some light on that. Whatever it is, her pain med, Melosus (which has an anti-inflammatory effect also), seems to help.

Lily was spending a rough night. When I last looked for her in her room around midnight, trying to persuade her to eat (which she did eventually), she was still hissing and growling, and she was also hiding. The next time I entered her room, which was about 6 a.m., she was resting on of the blankets I put there, and when she saw me, she came and gave me headbumpies. I offered her some food and she ate, obviously hungry. 20 minutes later, she wanted to leave her "sick room", and so I released her. There was some hissing and growling between her and Luna, but not as bad as I expected.

She seems fine throughout the morning, much to my relief. But around noon, she had an accident! Obviously she tried to jump onto a high cabinet - and fell. I'm afraid it's my fault. To prevent her from jumping, I removed the scratching post next to cabinet which she usually used to jump onto the cabinet from there. Instead of that scratching post, she has obviously climbed a chair and tried to jump onto the cabinet from there. Even a healthy cat would never manage to do that, so I don't know what has gotten into her. She fell - and landed into her water bowl. I wasn't around when it happened (otherwise I would have prevented that), but heard the noise. I couldn'd find Lily, but I saw the mess with her water bowl and guessed what happened. And I couldn't find Lily; I searched my entire place and eventually found her behind the tv rack between the cables where she stayed for a long time. I panicked and called my vet at home (vet office is closed on Wednesday afternoon), asking her what happens if the incision in her bladder has opened. She said that in that case, urine would flow into her abdomen but she doesn't think this would happen so easily. She advised me to watch out for Lily peeing, and if she does, her bladder would still be intact.

However, it took a long time until Lily went potty again. And she was taking a rest in the strangest places, such as my shoe shelf, which I found most alarming as she never did something like that before. Eventually, around 7:30 p.m., she was peeing - but not much, and it was mixed with blood. Since I was worried, I called my vet again but since Lily was eating and walking around, she didn't think she was severely injured. She said that the two days following the surgery would be the hardest. So, I hope Lily will feel better tomorrow, but her fall this noon was as bad setback. And so far, she hasn't peed again, so I'm still a little worried ...

A candle for Lily, Luna and meowmie:
    http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=21493433

Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Prayers for Lily, and for Luna and Kirsten, that everyone is having a peaceful night.
    I've Been Frosted