Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lily going to have bladder surgery on Tuesday (Update: Back home from surgery! #20)

Lily going to have bladder surgery on Tuesday (Update: Back home from surgery! #20)

Those who are on Facebook may already know that Lily and I have been through some really rough weeks! I've posted before here on PT that she was having an episode of spraying in February when she suddenly started spraying like a male. This, however, improved after a while and aside from occasial spraying incidents which I thought were behavioral, she seems to be fine.

Then, by the mid of August, she took a turn to the worse. At the vet's, she got a treatment for bladder infection, but there was no improvement. At that point, I thought it might be a jealousy issue because the first spots she was spraying were the places were Luna loved to be. After a while, she sprayed everything in "my" room (the place were I'm sleeping, resting and where my computer table is). She was spraying walls, furniture, curtains, heaters, my bed, even the kitty bed - the situation was quickly getting out of control. After a while, she started spraying outside this room also: more furniture, doors, the dvd player, the stereo, my router ... my entire place is a mess now! Also, her behavior has totally changed over the past weeks: my formerly relaxed, confident kitty appeared to be unhappy, nervous, even in pain.

Of course more vet visits were in order; last Monday, I insisted on an ultrasound. My vet did so, and we saw something in her bladder that looked like a stone. I was almost relieved! Next, we took an x-ray shot - and no stone was to be seen! Her urine was checked for crystals - nothing. No hemoglobin, but a few leucocytes.

My vet suggested pain meds to find out if that would change her behavior. Started this week and noticed a change, she seems to be more relaxed and I haven't seen her spraying over the past few days; instead, she started wetting her kitty bed at night, where she was sleeping which I thought was most alarming.

Today, I saw her going to the litterbox twice, without peeing. Thinking of a urethra blockage, I brought her back to the vet this afternoon. Another ultrasound was made, and we saw that "thing" again. It's inside her bladder, it can't be moved, and it doesn't cast a shadow like stones do. So, it may be a tumor. Whatever it is, this thing needs to be taken care of, and I hope it can be removed (Besides, she's not blocked, she peed when we came home from the vet).

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning, and I really hope she'll be fine! Apart from the recent issues, Lily has always been healthy, she's in a good condition, so I hope she will soon recover from this. And I sure hope it's no cancer! At this point, I'm almost glad that there's something that can be done.

The vet bills ... oh my! Needless to say, considering that I'm on disability pension, this entire thing will ruin me financially. But it's for my girl ...

I really, really hope she'll cope well with the surgery and will feel better when she recovered. And - the most important thing - that it's no cancer!
    Last edited by Kirsten; 09-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.

You and she will be in our prayers!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry to hear about Lily's health and the need for an operation. Of course you will do what has to be done to hopefully help her; I understand. Now let's hope and pray that the vet can remove whatever and that she will be alright. Poor cat must have been in quite a bit of discomfort. She's a beautiful girl. Good for you for persisting until your vet found the problem. You're both in my prayers... Kay in NC

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Good wishes and positive vibes being sent out to both you and Lily. Think positive!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Prayers for Lily and for you!

I'm sure she will feel much better with that nasty thing removed!

I just wonder...would your vet be open to you doing some volunteer work in exchange for some of the cost? Or maybe the vet and staff have pets that they want gorgeous photos of?

Hugs and good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers for you and Lily. Diego sends sympathy purrrs. He had a bladder stone removed a few years ago.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so very sorry to hear about Lily Kirsten. Sending prayers and good wishes for her speedy recovery and hopefully it won't be a serious issue when they remove whatever is in there.
    Think positive thoughts, good luck...keep us posted.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Prayers!

Big big prayers for Lily, Luna and you, Kirsten.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Kirsten, I'm so sorry. I really hope that the removal of whatever it is will solve her problem, it's apparently painful for her.

I think Candace's idea of offering help with photos, or other things is good idea to help pay for the vet bill. I know it's not much you get on disability or pension. I do a bit of cat-sitting myself for a small fee, which helps me survive, perhaps you could do that, too.

You're in my thoughts and I'm sending positive wishes for Lily and hope her operation will be successful.

((((hugs))))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that Lily hasn't been feeling well. More than anything, I hope her surgery goes well and the problem will be resolved. Please give her some comforting feel better lovies from me? And please let us know how things work out?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Oh, dearest Lily, and Kirsten and Luna, you have all our prayers and good wishes and love coming along, that the surgeon gets to the bottom of all this and is able to take care of it.

Thank you so much for going that extra mile, at the very least, to help darling Lily. She must be hurting and having such a hard time.

I think that is a fine idea, too, to offer your excellent photographic skills as at least some payment.

God bless you all,

Love from Pat and cats (all of us)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you everyone for your kind words and for keeping Lily in your thoughts and prayers.

I'm really devastated tonight. I was doing some research on bladder tumors earlier today, and the prognosis is NOT good. Maybe the tumor (if it is a tumor, but after all that I've read, I'm pretty sure it is) is too widespread to be removed from her bladder, maybe it has spread to other organs ... Oh, why didn't I insist on an ultrasound when she first started spraying in February?

Losing Lily is a horrible thought; I have always thought that she would still be with me long after Luna had gone. With Luna's health being declining, I was beginning to prepare for the day she's no longer with me, but now it's Lily ... Lily, who has never been sick in her entire life!

As for making some additional money: I'm not allowed to as my pension is so low that I need additional welfare, and the welfare agency would take every single extra cent I'd make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    As for making some additional money: I'm not allowed to as my pension is so low that I need additional welfare, and the welfare agency would take every single extra cent I'd make.
    Hmm, maybe you and I could do a book together, and any profits we split, your portion could go into a separate account in Lily's name instead yours? In Switzerland maybe?
    I've Been Frosted

I'd seen much of this on FB, up to the meds. Glad to hear those helped as that was a clue to what was going on.

Prayers from here for Lily to do well Tuesday, for what ever it is to be removed, with clear margins.

I agree with trying to volunteer with the vet to help pay off the bill. Then the welfare need never know.