Thread: Cats not getting along

Cats not getting along

Any advice on how to get the 2 girls to stop beating the heck out of the boy?

Pacasso is a fearful cat by nature, so he STARES at the girls and they loath it. So they attack him and chase him around every time he does it, which is a lot.

All the kitties have their claws cut weekly to prevent scratching the couches and hurting each other. The girls get a long ok, they are not buddies, but have no issues laying near the other, but nothing closer then a foot. I have never seen the 2 girls fight each other, only growl if the other gets too close. They both seem to respect the other, and they both are trying to get closer to the other so I'm not worried about their relationship at all.

I took away all the free kibble and closed the bathroom door, as that is where the most fights broke out (common meeting area). They all eat in the kitchen a few feet from one another no problem, and all beg for me to hurry up while I prep it. No fighting or hissing ever happens.

I'm pretty sure its the staring that is causing this fighting. As Both girls can walk near him if hes sleeping, and they wont bother him at all.

Any advice?

Does he have a perch or somewhere he can got to get away from them?
    I've Been Frosted

Are they all fixed? Girls and boy?

There are places up high he can go, but he'll STARE at the girls from up there, so they'll rush up there to attack him.

When I say attack, they are using their claws in a bear hug, slashing, and kicking the hind feet, but I don't see much biting, and there are never any marks on Pacasso, so no one is biting hard.

Everyone is fixed. Everyone was fixed as a kitten, so non of the cats knew the other before they were fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    There are places up high he can go, but he'll STARE at the girls from up there, so they'll rush up there to attack him.

When I say attack, they are using their claws in a bear hug, slashing, and kicking the hind feet, but I don't see much biting, and there are never any marks on Pacasso, so no one is biting hard.

Everyone is fixed. Everyone was fixed as a kitten, so non of the cats knew the other before they were fixed.
    He is acting the victim, so that is what is causing this. Can you do any playtime with him without the girls, and help him feel more confident? Does he or can he get any 'alone time' with the humans?
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen, he needs some confidence building exercises. Now is the time, before things escalate and he does get hurt.

Even just 2 minutes playing with him with one of those toys on a string, morning and evening, will help. Remember to put the toy away at the end, those strings are deadly for cats and the toys are only meant to be used with supervision.

Marc just started to put him in his bedroom with the door closed during the night. I told Marc to use the laser before bed and when he gets up.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    Marc just started to put him in his bedroom with the door closed during the night. I told Marc to use the laser before bed and when he gets up.
    Hopefully this will help. He needs to figure out he is not prey, but an equal kitty and there's no need to stare at the girls so much!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hopefully this will help. He needs to figure out he is not prey, but an equal kitty and there's no need to stare at the girls so much!
    Marc said he's been doing it for 2 weeks as the fighting kept waking him up. I haven't seen any change in the cats.

I can use a laser pointer and all 3 will chase after it and get a long just fine. I make them run all over the place to burn energy. It still hasn't helped.

Is this behavior just when the females are together? Have you ever tried isolating the male with just one of the females, and doing some play time together with just the one and then same thing with other female?
    MY SPECIAL GIRLS

ZIP and SHY R.I.P. my beautiful girls

Have you looked into using phermones, like Feliway? There are other brands but that's the more common one. Comes in a diffuser, spray bottle, or wipes, and is fairly inexpensive off Amazon. It works well when used in room(s) most frequented by the cats, or in areas where the most "altercations" are occurring.

facebook