Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need computer help?

Need computer help?

I have a Lenovo G585 that is less than one year old. It runs Windows 8.

Last week the it froze during while I was on it and it would not respond to any keystrokes or Ctrl-Alt- Delete......

So I shut it down and tried to restart it.

When I power it up, It give me all the start up screens and I get to the password screen, put in a password and the screen goes black.

I get the cursor on the screen and if I do a ctrl-alt-delete. I do get the change user, change password screen, but when I try to get it to restart, the same thing happens....

Any advice?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Do you have a disc drive on it, and the original Windows CDs?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Do you have a disc drive on it, and the original Windows CDs?
    No....that's part of my problem....It has a 'one touch' reset button, but even that doesn't work....

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    No....that's part of my problem....It has a 'one touch' reset button, but even that doesn't work....
    Okay - call around, see if anyone has a boot-up flash drive or DVD you could borrow, you may need to reinstall a clean copy of Windows. Some anti-virus DVDs let you boot off of the, does your machine have a CD/DVD drive?
    I've Been Frosted

Okay - call around, see if anyone has a boot-up flash drive or DVD you could borrow, you may need to reinstall a clean copy of Windows. Some anti-virus DVDs let you boot off of the, does your machine have a CD/DVD drive?
    You mean the cup holder that pops out?

Yes, it's a newer machine, I'll just buy the OS disc? I just need to know which one!!! I can muddle thru the installation, I just need to know what to get!!
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    You mean the cup holder that pops out?

Yes, it's a newer machine, I'll just buy the OS disc? I just need to know which one!!! I can muddle thru the installation, I just need to know what to get!!
    Did the machine not come with any discs?
    I've Been Frosted

No, I bought it on sale, just a real basic model.....for photos, music and emails.
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

And when buying new, you have to pay for a boot disk these days. It's not standard anymore. I pay for one when I get a new computer.

Have you asked Candace to help? That's what she does for a living. It's a shame CDO doesn't have other outlets. Computer Direct Outlet is this awesome establishment in Greenville that will repair your computer or help you repair you own computer. you just have to buy the parts.

Can you take it back? Call the company?

http://lenovo.techbuddiesonline.com/...-settings.html

Some other links for you

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...CD/ta-p/290918

http://support.lenovo.com/nl/nl/downloads/ds028698
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-02-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Hi RICHARD.

I had two messages on FB saying you needed computer help. I had already seen your post but had not ideas.

Unless you have a laptop...

If you do, try this.

1. Unplug the sucker.

2. Remove the battery.

3. With the battery out and power disconnected, press down on the power button for 30 full seconds.

4. Put battery back in, plug in power, and restart. Let me know what happens.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You can hold F8 while booting up to start Windows in Safe Mode. Once there, run a boot time scan, run your antivirus software (or download Avast Antivirus if you need antivirus software). Also, Lenovo's customer service has been pretty helpful to me when I had frustrations with my laptop.

Pay for my ticket and I'll fly down and fix it!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Pay for my ticket and I'll fly down and fix it!
    I could travel up the Blue Ridge, but not right now. I'm still waiting on my retirement to come in. Of course, it also depends on what part of Kentucky Richard lives. Still it might be nice to actually see my birth state. Such is the life of a military brat.

And one of those messages to Candace was from me.

Richard, how are you getting online? You other computer? No, it's not a dumb question.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    You can hold F8 while booting up to start Windows in Safe Mode. Once there, run a boot time scan, run your antivirus software (or download Avast Antivirus if you need antivirus software). Also, Lenovo's customer service has been pretty helpful to me when I had frustrations with my laptop.
    I have heard that does not work with Windows 8, just with prior versions. Have you had that work with 8?

And Anne, he's probably using his phone to post right now.
    I've Been Frosted

I have heard that does not work with Windows 8, just with prior versions. Have you had that work with 8?

And Anne, he's probably using his phone to post right now.
    I have a smart phone and I have difficulty with this forum. No app for this forum or SMART page? My hat's off to anyone that posts on a website with their smart phone.
    Anne

Before I say anything else?

What is a PET TALKER?

A pet talker will read a post, send the message out over the internet and get EVERYONE involved with helping out?

--------

Hokay....Let me read thru your help and let you know what I have done to try to get things fixed. I need to walk the dog first.

Priorities?