Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need to rehome two, I'm afraid..

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    I have not kept up with all the news, so lets just start with thoughts and prayers for you, Pat.

I am assuming you rent and are allowed only 2 cats in your lease??

This "solution" I am about to suggest is not for everyone. But I did this back when I had a cat sick with intestinal cancer and a bad case of runny diarrhea... I covered the carpet with a plastic painting tarp. Using the furniture to hold it in place. And I also did a wall to wall installation of the tarps in 2 rooms. I also use the clear plastic runners with the tiny nubs on the underside, in front of & under litter boxes. Throw carpets or area rugs can also be used to keep the wear down on the carpeting.

I was lucking in the fact that I did not need to cover the living room carpet, and all the accidents kept happening in the upstairs bedrooms. But I do use the clear runners in the LV and kitchen. But maybe you could find a nice large area rug for your largest room just to keep the most traveled areas cleaner.

What ever happens, I wish you the best.
    Thanks, Jen... You're right there. Great idea about covering the carpet with plastic painting tarp. I got a couple of big plastic sheets and a few carpet squares to put down. I hope to avoid future little accidental problems.. and anything that does, say, leak out, to catch right away and clean up right away.

And thanks for the good wishes, too!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    What leads you to think that THEY think you have more than 2?

Maybe bring 2 home and board the other two for a couple of more weeks?

I still have to contact my friend on FB. I'll do that right now.
    Thanks, Candace. Why might they think I have more than allowed? At this point I'm afraid to take the risk. If I lose this place, I'd have a really hard time finding another, particularly one that doesn't have pet limitations.

Since I am going for back surgery in less than two weeks, I will have limited ability to control the condition of the apartment. I'll be in the hospital 4 days (assuming all goes as planned), then rehab for however long that takes, days? weeks?, so I won't be around at all during that time. And then when I do come home I'll be limited in motion for quite a while.

My sister and her partner will be coming over to take care of the cats but can't spend much time.

The management people can walk in and look around any time they want. City ordinance allows this (I checked it), requiring only that they make a "good faith effort" to notify the tenant, like: knocking on the door (really!). They knock... no answer.. "Oh, darn, no one's home! Well, we tried!"

The ownership of the apartment complex changed a couple of years ago. Since then they have gone through something like five managers in less than a year. The one who'd been in that position for several years up till then, who did a fine job and was well liked and respected by us all, was fired because he was "too nice." The newest one, who started about two weeks ago, has already made it clear she is a biatch and a bully. She started on me last Saturday when I showed her my doctor's note about my physical limitations that "the onus is on you" to fix this up immediately.

I'll be interested to learn if your FB friend has any ideas. Thanks, Candace!

Last edited by phesina; 09-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

OK I contacted that lady, Kim. She will check with co-workers.

Her only concern is that if someone lives a bit outside the city, will the cats be transported? I am sure you would drive them, but not during your surgery recovery!

This is the woman I contacted you about several months back regarding her job search. Do you still have her email addy?

Cheers
    Candace
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about this! As for that new manager, she definitely needs an attitude adjustment. I can't comprehend someone being fired because they're "too nice" to the tenants. My prayers that you and your family can stay together.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

OK I contacted that lady, Kim. She will check with co-workers.

Her only concern is that if someone lives a bit outside the city, will the cats be transported? I am sure you would drive them, but not during your surgery recovery!

This is the woman I contacted you about several months back regarding her job search. Do you still have her email addy?

Cheers
    Candace
    Thanks, Candace. I remember her.. We exchanged a few e-mails, and at one point we were going to get together at Denny's. Then she had to bow out at the last minute, and I never heard back after I asked her to let me know some other time(s) that might work for her. As I told her then, and I'll say it again, it's always nice to meet another Ann Arbor cat lady!

I would transport them, if it's before the surgery of course! Did you tell her that one of the cats, Elmer, is a CH boy and would need to be in a controlled environment.. all on one floor, as he can't do stairs.. well, he'd probably try them but he'd easily fall down them. Same with any place or thing he could fall from. And he could NOT go out unless supervised or in something like a catio (outdoor enclosed space for cats).

I think they will probably be going to Jeanne's group. They are all good people. In fact, my sister's kitty Alan M. Hill was adopted from them.. so they are in effect part of the family already!

Pat
    Death thought about it.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I would offer to foster them if there was any feasible way to get them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Oh Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about this! As for that new manager, she definitely needs an attitude adjustment. I can't comprehend someone being fired because they're "too nice" to the tenants. My prayers that you and your family can stay together.
    Thank you so much, Eileen. Yeah, that new manager is another prize on their part. Hope she doesn't last long either. I think they want to be hard-a$$ and get rid of long-term tenants so they can cash in big on students.. especially since the University admitted more freshmen than they have dorm space available for (OOPS! We goofed! ) !!!

And thank you for the prayers, from the cats and me. The only way we could stay together is if I found another place where I could have that many and not be under threat of eviction.

I'm going to see if I can get the surgery rescheduled for a week or two later.. (longer than that and my recuperation will likely go into the winter, and I can't risk that, especially if the winter is as bad as it was last year). The surgeon's assistant doesn't work Fridays, so I left her a message. I don't want to attempt to deal with the general line and whoever might answer that or if I have to leave a message there.

Today the old carpet is being removed from the living room and the floor painted with sealer gunk (protect from cat pee, right?). I will be crashing on my sister's couch tonight. Possibly tomorrow but probably Monday the new carpet will be put in. And then the movers come back to move the stuff back from the bedroom to the living room on Tuesday (hopefully fixing the table legs that broke off when they lifted the table to move it yesterday). And then I have to try and find everything and where it was packed and begin to try and put the place back to some reasonable order.

And then the cats can come home Wednesday. Assuming it's not too crazy still. And looks like just Bob and Sparkler, so they'd not only have to get used to completely new smells in the place and finding their way around whatever disorder still exists, which will be quite a bit. AND get used to their other two roomies being gone. Not that they were all that close with them, but still they're used to them being around in familiar surroundings.

And then they have to get used to ME not being around from the following Monday through I don't know how long but I'm betting nearly a month if not more.

That is the most important reason I want to postpone the surgery.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I'm so sorry this is happening. I would offer to foster them if there was any feasible way to get them to me.
    Oh, thank you so much! Now I'm wondering.. could I somehow get them to L.A. ...
    Death thought about it.

Or even Vancouver, Canada, since Slick offered to take them...I think your city is midway between the two in terms of distance.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post

The management people can walk in and look around any time they want. City ordinance allows this (I checked it), requiring only that they make a "good faith effort" to notify the tenant, like: knocking on the door (really!). They knock... no answer.. "Oh, darn, no one's home! Well, we tried!"

:
    Gee even in SC we get a 24 hour notice.

You probably have a cheaper rent since you've been a tenant a while. by kicking you out, they can up the rent again for the new tenants. And not pay you any deposit back. Sigh
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Oops, I only just noticed this thread 5 minutes ago..... ! Sorry!!

My dearest Phesina, i am so sorry for all the troubles you're having with your landlord...! I feel so sorry for you because you have to rehome your dear kitties you love so dearly.... !
    I wish I could do more than replying here... .
    Coping with your physical needs, the surgery, you really do not deserve all these other problems.... .
    Accepting and living with your health problems is already more than enough to cope with!
    All I can do right now is praying that the perfect solution will be knocking on your door asap, and also for you that the surgery will go perfect

I hope you understand my message here, my English is letting me down a bit..... ;

I am sure that all pettalkers and I are wishing you all the best.
    You deserve nothing less sweetheart

Lut & the Gabriels Girls

ps. Is there someone who will keep us informed with how your doing? Will you have access to a computer while recovering? Can we reach you in any way?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I, too, just found this thread. Pat, my heart goes out to you and your kitties. I hope it works out and please do keep us posted if possible.

Or even Vancouver, Canada, since Slick offered to take them...I think your city is midway between the two in terms of distance.
    Oh, I was thinking of Vancouver first (see post #9).. I'd love for Slick to have them, just need to figure out how to get them there!

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Gee even in SC we get a 24 hour notice.

You probably have a cheaper rent since you've been a tenant a while. by kicking you out, they can up the rent again for the new tenants. And not pay you any deposit back. Sigh
    Here ya go: https://library.municode.com/HTML/11...05HOCO_8_529PR

Oh, yes, any time anyone moves out, they raise the rent substantially for the new renters.

These apartment are safe, reasonably maintained, and conveniently located, so they are in big demand. Especially since the owners have started marketing them directly to students.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    Oops, I only just noticed this thread 5 minutes ago..... ! Sorry!!

My dearest Phesina, i am so sorry for all the troubles you're having with your landlord...! I feel so sorry for you because you have to rehome your dear kitties you love so dearly.... !
    I wish I could do more than replying here... .
    Coping with your physical needs, the surgery, you really do not deserve all these other problems.... .
    Accepting and living with your health problems is already more than enough to cope with!
    All I can do right now is praying that the perfect solution will be knocking on your door asap, and also for you that the surgery will go perfect

I hope you understand my message here, my English is letting me down a bit..... ;

I am sure that all pettalkers and I are wishing you all the best.
    You deserve nothing less sweetheart

Lut & the Gabriels Girls

ps. Is there someone who will keep us informed with how your doing? Will you have access to a computer while recovering? Can we reach you in any way?
    Dear Lut, thank you so very much for your sweet message and good, kind wishes. Yes, what frustration that all these things are happening at the same time!

Still, I have to realize how lucky I am that this with the cats didn't happen back when I had seven cats in the apartment, including the two old ladies Lavinia and Poppaea...
    and that it wasn't going to happen until after I was already in the hospital and then rehab!

Speaking of which, I plan to have my laptop with me, during the four days in the hospital if allowed and I'm able for it there, and definitely in the rehab place.

It is very important to me and means a whole lot, my communication with all my dear friends (of all species) of Pet Talk.

Love from us all
    Last edited by phesina; 09-06-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Death thought about it.