Thread: Grendel!!

Grendel!!

I spent an hour yesterday scrubbing Grendel's cage, and replacing the cypress mulch I had been keeping him on with aspen. It was too hard to see poop in the cypress, and though I spot-clean frequently, it still tended to get really stinky in there because I would miss spots. Hopefully the aspen will fix that.

Once his cage was all clean, I did not feel like putting him away...he is freshly shed and feels like silk in my hands, and he is looking just exceptional right now...so we took a walk down a local trail where there is a nice spot for photos. I got a ton of gorgeous photos, and I got to chat with some nice people walking by, who were all fascinated by him. We go there regularly for pictures, and I have surprisingly never gotten a negative comment about him there...I think he is just so gorgeous that even non-snake people are impressed. ^_^

Here is his nice clean cage...not a very good shot, but it is hard to get the whole thing in the frame.

What a handsome boy! We are glad he got an outside adventure today, and got to meet new people!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen!

Something kind of neat occurred to me today after I posted these....it was about ten years ago that I went to the Sacramento reptile expo and got to hold an Indigo snake...which started my obsession. This year, I am bringing Grendel to the expo to show him off (NOT to sell him!!), and maybe I'll pass that obsession along to someone new!!

Wow, beautiful snake! Never seen one like that before

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    Wow, beautiful snake! Never seen one like that before
    Thank you!!

Most people haven't, they're pretty unusual, which is one reason I like to show him off!

Beautiful colors. How do you get him outside? Carrier? he doesn't feel inclined to slither off?
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Beautiful colors. How do you get him outside? Carrier? he doesn't feel inclined to slither off?
    Grendel travels in a pillowcase with a knot at the top. It's a way to move him safely without causing a traffic accident! He does fidget and try to poke his head out, but not to *leave*, just to see what's going on.

Hard to believe it was already 4 years ago when he was Pet of the Day!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Grendel travels in a pillowcase with a knot at the top. It's a way to move him safely without causing a traffic accident! He does fidget and try to poke his head out, but not to *leave*, just to see what's going on.
    And when you let him out, he just enjoys the view and doesn't slither off? Wow. I so wish I could get my cats to do that.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    And when you let him out, he just enjoys the view and doesn't slither off? Wow. I so wish I could get my cats to do that.
    Yep, he is quite lazy! I had several people ask me if he was a toy, because he seemed to have fallen asleep on the fence...no tongue-flicking or anything!