Thread: OPENING ALERT: North America's First Cat Café Opens This Saturday in Montreal

OPENING ALERT: North America's First Cat Café Opens This Saturday in Montreal

North America's inaugural cat café will open this Saturday in Montreal. Le Café des Chats was just one in a litter of non-pop-up, feline-themed coffeeshops jockeying to be the first to welcome customers on the continent. Others will open soon in the likes of San Diego, Portland, Seattle, New York and, indeed, Montreal.
    For now, however, Le Café des Chats stands alone. Management writes that the café "is based on a very popular concept in Japan that has been developing for years in major European cities such as Paris, London, Vienna and Budapest."
    Some more crucial info, adapted and translated from the café's Facebook page:
    The pioneer behind the project is Youssef Labib. Labib, 32, holds a Master's degree in Marketing and Strategic Management from ESLSCA Paris. When he discovered cat cafés in Asia and Europe he decided to chart a new career path. A big lover of cats and coffee, Labib was later joined by Nadine Spencer and other stakeholders. The café will start with a dozen cats adopted from animal welfare groups. They will have regular veterinary care and will be insured, microchipped, vaccinated and neutered. The cats will wander at will and interact with various toys and structures.
    The resident cats will access a separate litter box area via a pet door. Alcohol-based gel will be available to customers at the entrance. A practical guide will explain appropriate conduct (no sudden, loud noises, no flash photography, and so on).
    On the menu at Le Café des Chats: pastries, cookies, teas, coffees and fair trade and organic items. Hours are Sunday to Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Friday, Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
    Spencer reports that for the opening this Saturday "a bunch of fun stuff will be going on between noon and 6:00 p.m."
    Oh and take note: the café will not accept outside animals on the premises.
    · Le Café des Chats [Official Page]
    · All Opening Alerts [-EMTL-]
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries
    Strange.

I wish I had Cat Sitters so I could visit.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wish I was closer to Montreal!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post

Tell you what Pat, jump on the next Amtrack to Trenton. I'll meet you at the train station with our tickets to Montreal. I cannot wait to get there!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Will do, Eileen! Can the cats join me?

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Will do, Eileen! Can the cats join me?

You bet! There's no way in the world Amigo would allow me to go without him, he already has his favorite toys packed and ready to go. Our kitties can keep each other company while we settle back and relax on the way to Montreal..
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Sounds great!

Death thought about it.

Darn.....! We were in Montreal summer 2013.....
    I wish that café opened then!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I'll get on the train in Chicago, meet you in Michigan and we will continue on to Trenton!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'll get on the train in Chicago, meet you in Michigan and we will continue on to Trenton!
    Oooooh, what a great trip! Can't wait!!!
    Death thought about it.

From answers.com - Five cat cafés you will want to visit

Cat cafés first started popping up in Japan. In a country where many apartment buildings don't allow cats, these cafés became very popular as a way for Japanese cat lovers to get their kitty fix in a relaxing environment.

Cat cafés are a win not just for cat lovers, but also for the cats who reside in these establishments. Living at the café allows the cats, who usually come from shelters, to live in a cage-free environment with plenty of human attention and interaction. Most cat cafés have rules for visitors that include not disturbing the cats while they're sleeping, no rough handling by visiting children, no flash photography, and no feeding.

Cat cafés opened around the world in the last few years. Russia, Austria, Korea, France and many others all boast their own cat cafés. Intrigued? These five cat cafés are worth visiting.

Kaffee Katzentempel, Munich, Germany

Munich's Cafe Katzentempel, which translates to "temple of cats," was the first cat café to open in Germany. This beautifully designed café offers a large variety of coffee and tea drinks and vegan fare ranging from breakfast dishes to light lunches to desserts.

Café Neko, Vienna, Austria

Five rescue cats welcome visitors to this Austrian coffeehouse, which serves homemade cakes and pastries, Japanese tea, and juices from local farms. Hidden on a small street in the center of Vienna, this oasis of quiet is a favorite for locals and tourists alike.

Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium, London, England

Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium is set to open later this year. This café will offer visitors an opportunity to enjoy a British tea while relaxing in a setting designed to meet the emotional and physical needs of its feline residents.

St. Petersburg Cat Republic, St. Petersburg, Russia

Before entering the Cat Republic, guests are asked to " apply for a visa," although no one gets turned down. Guests are asked to observe simple rules when interacting with the cats, such as washing their hands before touching the cats. The main rule is to never force the cats to interact with visitors, because the citizens of the republic are free cats.

Calico Cat Café, Tokyo, Japan

Japan boasts the largest number of cat cafés of any country in the world. Café Calico is so popular that reservations are recommended on weekends. Visitors are provided with an ID card and a set of rules. The café is host to young couples on dates, older married couples making an afternoon of it and young women in ones and twos, all present to enjoy the company of the resident cats.

Later this year, the first cat cafés in North America are scheduled to open: Café Chat L'Heureux will welcome visitors in Montreal, Canada, and Kit Tea will provide a feline haven in San Francisco.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678