Thread: 5 Reasons NOT to Get a Puppy!

5 Reasons NOT to Get a Puppy!

Just in case you have friends or family that really want a puppy - maybe send them this.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-r...t-a-puppy.html

They say the only cure for wanting a puppy is getting a puppy. Well, the other cure for wanting a puppy could be thinking about what the puppy requires when he is grown up. While it may be cute that a 10 pound puppy is dragging you everywhere on a leash, you won’t think the same of an 80 pound one-year-old dog.
    Thousands of young dogs are dropped off at shelters every year who were once purchased as puppies. Commonly, they were either given as a gift or the purchaser didn’t fast forward in their mind what that cute, adorable puppy would be like to take care of as a fully grown dog.
    5 Reasons NOT to Get a Puppy!

1. You don’t know what you are getting.

While there are very informative temperament tests for puppies, puppies don’t come with fortune tellers, and you can’t predict everything about who they will be when they grow up. While it’s not easy dealing with anxiety issues or health problems for any age dog, when you adopt a grown-up dog, you are often aware of what health and behavior issues are coming with him.

2. It will be months before you’ll get a full night’s sleep.

Exhausted from a full day’s work? Your new puppy doesn’t care. She’ll be whining all night long to get out of her crate. And if you can sleep through that, try sleeping through barking at 3 am.

3. Puppies relieve in the house

House training is not for the weak of heart. Forget those beautiful white carpets. With a puppy, it’s impossible to keep them clean.

4. Puppies are curious about everything.

Everything is interesting to a puppy, including the skunk who just wandered into the backyard and the paint can that you thought was well sealed. And guess who is responsible for that smell and those colors coming off of him?

5. Everything is edible to a puppy.

You thought that beautiful birthday cake you just made for your dinner party was well out of reach of your new puppy? Guess again. Puppies can be very clever at getting to things that they want.
    Honestly, I’ve never purchased or adopted a puppy. I’ve only adopted dogs post-puppy years. And the only puppy I’ve ever had is Sanchez. He came to live with me as a puppy-in-training from Guide Dogs for the Blind when he was four months old, but I didn’t adopt him until he was career changed at 18 months old. Since I was his volunteer puppy raiser, I knew him very well by then. At some point in my life, I may adopt a puppy. But, I’ll only do so when I am prepared to handle all of the above scenarios plus more unexpected ones.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries

The Rewards of Raising a Puppy

Hi Cathy!

I perfectly understand that raising a puppy is not that easy. In fact, a tremendous amount of patience, effort and parenting lies on their growing years. But raising a pet especially dog puppies can be most beneficial to us pet parents. A few of what I've gained raising these cuties were:

1. They made me smile from the moment I wake up until I retire at night. This is not something money can buy nor can you get elsewhere.
    2. They were my steady companion all through the day when everyone else left us in the house. Their company lightens all my worries, tremblings, anxiety, etc.
    3. Cuddling, hugging and interacting with them excites me. I don't mind they pee or poop on their early years in my carpets. I'm good at cleaning 'em and I enjoy discovering how to train and keep them off on things. And moreso, I have come to think and device ways to prevent and train them well to behave.
    4. Yes they were like little kids and children that keeps you awake and alert all the time. But i don't mind, It's all part of the parenting process.
    5. Sleep? I do sleep, in fact I sometimes snooze around with them on the couch or den.
    6. Of course training is not for a week, as parenting is a lifelong duty.
    7. Their curiosity amazes me and make me to practice my sense of responsiveness and alertness the more often. Very good not for them but for my active mind.
    8. They might try on anything and everything but patience, training and practice makes us both perfect!

I really have nothing against raising a puppy or a grown up dog. We all have our preference and right to choose what dog do we need to care for.

The most important thing is that we were inspired by them. They made us happy and that we are caring and loving pet parents to them. For they definitely deserve to be cared and loved for just like any creature God created. For me, being a responsible pet parents reflects on the behavior of our pets. Train, care and love them well and they will definitely grow up to be beautiful and adorable creatures.

If you prefer to get or adopt older dogs, you just simply skip the process and test of patience raising them from their young age.
    If you prefer to get or adopt puppies, your patience, kindness and caring will be put into test so many times that will surely benefit you and your well being.

I feel better because my dog buddies help me get better through the years. Something no pill nor medicine or even other creature can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakes;2504428
    [B
    I feel better because my dog buddies help me get better through the years. Something no pill nor medicine or even other creature can give.[/B]
    Thanks, Snowflakes - good counterpoint!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakes View Post
    Hi Cathy!

I perfectly understand that raising a puppy is not that easy. In fact, a tremendous amount of patience, effort and parenting lies on their growing years. But raising a pet especially dog puppies can be most beneficial to us pet parents. A few of what I've gained raising these cuties were:

1. They made me smile from the moment I wake up until I retire at night. This is not something money can buy nor can you get elsewhere.
    2. They were my steady companion all through the day when everyone else left us in the house. Their company lightens all my worries, tremblings, anxiety, etc.
    3. Cuddling, hugging and interacting with them excites me. I don't mind they pee or poop on their early years in my carpets. I'm good at cleaning 'em and I enjoy discovering how to train and keep them off on things. And moreso, I have come to think and device ways to prevent and train them well to behave.
    4. Yes they were like little kids and children that keeps you awake and alert all the time. But i don't mind, It's all part of the parenting process.
    5. Sleep? I do sleep, in fact I sometimes snooze around with them on the couch or den.
    6. Of course training is not for a week, as parenting is a lifelong duty.
    7. Their curiosity amazes me and make me to practice my sense of responsiveness and alertness the more often. Very good not for them but for my active mind.
    8. They might try on anything and everything but patience, training and practice makes us both perfect!

I really have nothing against raising a puppy or a grown up dog. We all have our preference and right to choose what dog do we need to care for.

The most important thing is that we were inspired by them. They made us happy and that we are caring and loving pet parents to them. For they definitely deserve to be cared and loved for just like any creature God created. For me, being a responsible pet parents reflects on the behavior of our pets. Train, care and love them well and they will definitely grow up to be beautiful and adorable creatures.

If you prefer to get or adopt older dogs, you just simply skip the process and test of patience raising them from their young age.
    If you prefer to get or adopt puppies, your patience, kindness and caring will be put into test so many times that will surely benefit you and your well being.

I feel better because my dog buddies help me get better through the years. Something no pill nor medicine or even other creature can give.
    Exactly! Why wouldn't you want a puppy?!

Hmmm...the original post is a very good point for people buying a puppy on a whim, or just because they are cute, but I will say, for me, the rewards of a puppy outweigh the bad!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

6. You guys are right about missing out on the puppyhood-ness of a puppy. i got Kirby when he was might as well say 3years old. it was nice not having to potty train him an the chewing an whinny stages was over an blah blah but at the sametime i always wondered what he was like as puppy.

however adopting a puppy verses a older dog i kind of feel the older dog needs may need home more cuz lost of people are suckers for puppies an will take the puppy before even considering the adult dog.

*shrug* i guess for me it depends on the situation an of course the dog or puppy involved

I too agree that the rewards of owning an adult Dog, far outweigh the trouble it is to raise one.

However, I find it "easier" than most (I think) given that I have Dogs in age stages (a Pack). And with examples like where the Pack goes to Potty (outside) an numerous other things the Pup picks up from the actions of the adult animals, does make it quite easy.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    There are pros and cons to both sides - puppy or adult. I've had the pleasure of doing it both ways .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~