Thread: Pomsky?!

Pomsky?!

So the other day one of the dog sites that I follow put out a new article that can be seen here: http://thedogbreedsbible.com/pomsky-...d-information/

Honestly, these pomskies look so cute but I just have a bad feeling when reading through this. How can someone think that it is responsible to breed those two together. Think of the size difference. This is just irresponsible and makes me a bit sad. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by DanHan View Post
    So the other day one of the dog sites that I follow put out a new article that can be seen here: http://thedogbreedsbible.com/pomsky-...d-information/

Honestly, these pomskies look so cute but I just have a bad feeling when reading through this. How can someone think that it is responsible to breed those two together. Think of the size difference. This is just irresponsible and makes me a bit sad. What do you all think?
    Like most "designer" breeds, they are just mutts with fancy titles. They wouldn't breed true, and it seems sad that puppies in shelters are dying while folks are "creating" the new *hot* thing.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I had seen these dogs a while back, and tho they are cute, I feel the world does not need another designer breed. IMO it is irresponsible,, and all that the breeders want, is to sell these pups to folks who want something unique, and to line their pockets with the big bucks that people pay for these dogs. I feel sorry for the dogs,, since I'm pretty certain that there will be many health issues to deal with.

People who want a cute and unique dog, need to look no further than the shelters and rescues that are overflowing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I had seen these dogs a while back, and tho they are cute, I feel the world does not need another designer breed. IMO it is irresponsible,, and all that the breeders want, is to sell these pups to folks who want something unique, and to line their pockets with the big bucks that people pay for these dogs. I feel sorry for the dogs,, since I'm pretty certain that there will be many health issues to deal with.

People who want a cute and unique dog, need to look no further than the shelters and rescues that are overflowing.
    Well said!

I volunteer at a shelter and I see the most adorable puppies and adult dogs ALL the time!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Blog Entries

I am not a breeder nor am I in favor of commercial puppy mill. But, I once read an article about dog breeding and listed below are some of the reasons why breeding, hybrid and cross breeding proliferate:

>Mixed-breed dogs possess a certain uniqueness in appearance;
    >Most mixed-breed dogs can be trained to adhere on certain roles or tasks.
    >Mixed-breed dogs are great as desirable pets or companions;
    >Mixed-breed dogs are usually raised and bred for commercial purpose;
    >Keeping and maintaining certain desirable traits of dogs for the future generation of dogs;
    >Increase and maintain efficiency of certain types of dogs necessary for their roles or tasks; Examples of these dogs were police dogs, rescue dogs, sniffer and the likes.
    >Commercial value being desirable pets;
    >Cross breeding reduce the risks of passing on congenital and gene defects to future dog generations;
    >Cross breeding could also be the start of a new species of pure breed dogs.

The pros and cons may have been a long debatable list, but I definitely agree with you the GREAT RESPONSIBILITY lies in developing hybrid animals in general not only dogs. I really hope so there is a better alternative for scientific research breeding.

Kingspan Guest

The breed itself is of course controversial, but I don't there's anything wrong on actual breeding. Pomskies are artificially bred, with semen from male Pomeranian inserted to female Husky. The full process is explained here. This quite complicated process is one of the reasons Pomsky puppies are so expensive.